F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I test drove a F-150 EB this evening. It was an Fx4, 2011 model, 22,000 miles, 3.31 axle ratio, XLT, with a towing package including a brake controller. I loved the test drive. Engine was very powerful and the drive was smooth and quiet. The instrument gauges and lights were very cool. My eyes were on the average MPG, which was about 18 or 19 on the short 10-15 mile mostly highway drive. I may buy this truck this week, and if I do, this will be my first ever truck. I plan to tow a trailer with my motorcycle in it, which I race and do track days with. The options I would add immediately are rear camera, remote start and a tonneau cover. The main reasons for the purchase would be better towing capacity without (hopefully) sacrificing too much by way of MPG. Is it true that a tonneua cover boosts the MPG by allowing the draft to fly over the tail gate (instead of into it) and that the big mirrors that come with a tow package create extra drag and lower the MPG?

RW

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just joined the Forum tonight and have not had time to look at the other threads yet. I have owned the a 2012 EB Platinum for 3 month and love the trk, but I'm hoping for better gas mileage. Right now I am getting about 13MPG in town and I only got 15.7 on my last rode trip. If I had to do it again, I would my last truck (98 F150 4.6L) only got 10MPG on a ggod day.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know if I beleive the hype about a tonneua cover, I didn't see any increase in MPG when I added mine. But I love the fact that things stay dry and safe in the back of the truck. I have the 4WD and the max tow package and overall love the truck. One down fall for me is you can't see over the tail gate so the backup camera is a MUST, and the folding mirrors help in tight places.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had a tonneau cover way back on a '94 Lightning and saw now impact on MPG, so never put on on my next two F150's. but they do look good on a truck! Overall I've never bought a truck based on fuel efficiency as a major criteria but instead focused on the overall utility factors, room inside and appearance. I would say if you need to tow, get the best overall towing package you can afford and that meets or exceeds your towing needs. Then live with the MPG you get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
STdan
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing