F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a few questions on the Ecoboost and I'm sure if i search for awhile i could find them but I'm in a crunch for time. Buying one for the hubby as a surprise Anniversary gift. I know what model he wants, the color and so and so but...

What info can you give me on gear ratios? What would be considered best for MPG? He only tows a small flat bottom boat from time to time and a ATV so we don't need a much towing wise.

4x4.....what's the loss on MPG? He said he didn't need a 4x4 but if it's not a huge difference then why not. I know big tires and lifts really affect the MPG but he has never been into the lifted trucks and big tires.

Thanks for any help in advance. He's off on a trip and i plan on having a new Lariat in the garage for him when he gets back. Even have a friend who sells Mercedes going with me to help with the haggling.

Poor man has drivin the same dented up Dodge Ram for 10 plus years..

·
Registered
537 Posts
Let me see if I can give a hand. The 4x4 will cost about 2MPG plus the difference in the sales price. I went with a 4x4 because it can be towed four wheels down behind a motorhome which I plan to do.

The highest rear end ration, which is the smaller number (such as 3:15 vs 3:73) will net you the better mileage. However it does not also make for the more fun truck to drive if you like the feel of power from a dead stop. This being said I would recommend the 3:55 gears.

You did not mention what part of the state you are located, but here is a link to a dealer who is local to me. Their internet prices are usually going to be some of the if not the best you will find.

New Car Search | Mac Haik Ford DeSoto | DeSoto Ford Dealer

Have a great day!

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I would go with a 3.73. I don't think you will notice the mileage difference (probably less than one mpg at highway speeds). There is a link somewhere in here that discusses rear ends and the automotive engineer (who worked for ford or gm) said with a modern truck the lower geared rear ends don't really effect MPGs. Also, if you look at the "real world mileage" thread on here you will notice that some of the best MPGs have come from 3.73 trucks.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
3.55 or 3.73 would fit perfectly. It's going to come down to availability. With the water so low, I know lake Travis requires you to put the boat in from a beach. Most people without 4x4 get stuck while unloading from the beach. I have 3.73 and loved my gas mileage before I put a lift on mine.

Availability is the key and let us know how it goes! If you're in southeast Texas, check out planet ford in spring. I got a very good deal from them!

and that's awesome you're wanting to get him an EB for your anniversary! Congratulations!

·
Registered
152 Posts
You won't see much of a difference between 3.55 and 3.73. I went with a 3.55 super crew. I get about 21-22mpg on local roads. 23-24 highway.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
As the others have said go with 3.73 if you can. There will be little to no real world difference in mileage, plus if he ever needs to tow something bigger he will have the option. Also, as others have said the 3.73 is just more fun to drive. It really has the git-up-and-go off the line.

Your husband is one lucky man to have a wonderful wife that will give him such a great anniversary gift!

SPPD

Reactions: Kc311

·
Registered
35 Posts
A new F150 Lariat, no that's a heck of an anniversary present. A 4x4 will get 1 to 2 mpg less than a 2x4 & is a $3275 option. I've never needed a 4x4, especially considering the extra weight & cost, just more to go wrong. But if you need it you need it, but doesn't sound like your husband thinks he would. I recommend the 3.55's, it is a good all round ratio that can tow up to 9800 lbs. & is probably as fuel efficient as any other ratio. Right foot pressure is the biggest determining factor in fuel economy. I would recommend the electronic lock rear axle no matter what gear ratio you end up with if you go with a 4x2. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got a few questions on the Ecoboost and I'm sure if i search for awhile i could find them but I'm in a crunch for time. Buying one for the hubby as a surprise Anniversary gift. I know what model he wants, the color and so and so but...

What info can you give me on gear ratios? What would be considered best for MPG? He only tows a small flat bottom boat from time to time and a ATV so we don't need a much towing wise.

4x4.....what's the loss on MPG? He said he didn't need a 4x4 but if it's not a huge difference then why not. I know big tires and lifts really affect the MPG but he has never been into the lifted trucks and big tires.

Thanks for any help in advance. He's off on a trip and i plan on having a new Lariat in the garage for him when he gets back. Even have a friend who sells Mercedes going with me to help with the haggling.

Poor man has drivin the same dented up Dodge Ram for 10 plus years..
I have a2012 lariat Ecoboost with a 373 axle and get 16 around town and 21 hwy,just like the book says.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the 3.15 gears in mine do not get them go with the 3.55 or 3.73 they actually do a little better on fuel and power

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'll go against the grain here and say you have no need for anything more than the standard 3.31 ratio rear axel if you are not towing anything substantial. You could go with the 3.55 and add limited slip if you want, but I would not bother with the electronic locking option in any of the rear axels. It will only stay engaged at 25mph or less and is only useful in very specific situations.

As for 4x4... Will you ever use it? I got it and will only use it a handful of times seasonally in the snow. But be honest with yourself. You shouldn't get a heavier truck with more moving parts if you really won't use or need it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
gears

I have the 3.15 gears in mine do not get them go with the 3.55 or 3.73 they actually do a little better on fuel and power
why don't you like the 3:15's ? I ordered the 3:31's ,have a quad in the box and tow a 7000lb travel trailer 6- 10 times a year and love it. I was kind of wishing I ordered the 3:15's as I do a 50 mile return daily commute on fairly level ground. At 60 mph i'm doing 1500 RPM,that translates into better gas mileage. If you look at the torque curve of the EcoBeast it's steady right through the whole range of RPM's

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've tried every thing I could think of besides driving 50 mph every were my average stays around 16 and if all I do is city it is 11.4 I've tried it with a tune and without I tried a cold air kit and even had it reflashed at ford dealer of course it does have a lift kit and bigger tires but so does my bosses ecoboost he has 3.73 and gets 15 city and average on hwy 18.4 so the only thing I can think it would be is the gears

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've tried every thing I could think of besides driving 50 mph every were my average stays around 16 and if all I do is city it is 11.4 I've tried it with a tune and without I tried a cold air kit and even had it reflashed at ford dealer of course it does have a lift kit and bigger tires but so does my bosses ecoboost he has 3.73 and gets 15 city and average on hwy 18.4 so the only thing I can think it would be is the gears
Yep probably the combination of taller/bigger tires and the 3:15.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
... I recommend the 3.55's, it is a good all round ratio that can tow up to 9800 lbs. & is probably as fuel efficient as any other ratio. Right foot pressure is the biggest determining factor in fuel economy. I would recommend the electronic lock rear axle no matter what gear ratio you end up with if you go with a 4x2. Hope this helps.
I have an XLT with 3.55s, 4x4 and Trailer Towing package. It was actually a very difficult combo to find. All the rest had 3.73s.

Today, I was on a nice, windy, two lane highway, doing 50mph and I need to pass some "slow moving foreign vehicle".

I found my truck would kick down deep into 3rd and ran like a scaulded cat until it up shifted into 4th. (Fourth was okay but not as quick as 3rd). In some respects I think 3.55s are great when you need to pass on the highway. Something like the old Police Cruisers of the 1960s where the Police car would be some big block with 2.73s (when the only transmission was a 3sp automatic). The 2.73s woudl allow them to kick down to second up to 100 mph and go well up to 150 mph.

I agree that for "stop light" action, 3.73s are better than 3.55s. But, if "Highway Passing" is more important than "Stop Light", I think 3.55s are a better choice...especially with the speed limiter removed. There is nothing worst than passing a line of cars stuck behind a big rig on a two lane highway, and bump up against the Speed Limiter when you are only half way through.

PS: I also agree that if you are going to be towing, 3.23s would be too tall. I don't even know if 3.23s are available with the Trailer Package option.

PPS: I wish my wife would have bought me my truck. But it's probably better that she didn't. My F150 Ecoboost 4x4 would probably look remarkably like a Toyota Tacoma with a 4cyl and 2 wheel drive.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Yep probably the combination of taller/bigger tires and the 3:15.
With the taller tires, it may cause the effective ratio to be more like 2.7s. If the speedo has been corrected, I doubt the engine would turn any faster than 1,250 rpm at 60 mph in 6th gear. OR, he will hit the speed limiter in 6th gear and just barely turning over 2,000 rpm.

Remove the speed-limiter and head out for Bonneville.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh my speed limiter is removed and the truck will flat get it we hit a 125mph my wife made me back out of it I wanted to take a pic of it there is some people who don't. Think they can do it but they sure will and then some

·
Registered
577 Posts
Oh my speed limiter is removed and the truck will flat get it we hit a 125mph my wife made me back out of it I wanted to take a pic of it there is some people who don't. Think they can do it but they sure will and then some
Yes i have has mine way over 120 lol

2012 F150 EcoBoost Lariat

·
Registered
13,060 Posts
mine tips out @ 160km/hr ;( my frikin 2012 Hyundai Accent got to 197km/hr. can't wait to see what my 2013 Elantra can do ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts