F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Toy Hauler out this past weekend on a 900 mile trip and had my first trailer tire blow-up experience. I have a really good habit of walking around the trailer every time we stop. On the last leg of my trip I heard a strange pop and some noise that sounded like I was just driving on the edge of the road. I couldn't feel any difference with the trailer and continued to my destination (about 30 miles).

When I pulled into the campground I did my normal walk around and noticed one tired completely shredded and losing air fast. I was lucky and had a good place to put the spare on.

The toy hauler is a 2011, so it's not that old and probably has only 4000 miles on these tires. They are power king tow max tires? Some cheap china tire I'm sure.

Well now I really don't want to chance it and replace all four. Any recommendations on replacement tires? I just called all of local tire shops in the Durango area and have a choice of the following 10ply load range E trailer tires:

West Lake
Hercules
Omni

Thoughts?

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Vehicle

Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire

Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
393 Posts
I personally would only put an American made tire on your trailer. I had the same experience recently with 7 day old trailer tires. I can't remember the brand of mine but I do remember seeing "made in China" on the blown out tire. I am planning on buying cooper tires for my trailer.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was thinking that Goodyear made a G-rated tire in the 15" designed just for trailer use. They may also have an H-rated tire.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have had a pretty good experience with my "china bombs" made by trail express. They came on my Solaire and have done well over the 4k miles (knocks wood). However, when these go I will probably go with the Maxxis (sp?). They seem to be the most recommended trailer tire around.

SPPD

·
Registered
868 Posts
before you can accurately determine what tires you want to use consider the load rating of each because all the tires will have a diff load rating and of course your 10 ply will be a pretty heavy duty tire.
then you could actually check your tire alignment to be sure something is tweaked a bit they need to be straight and true because just a degree or 2 makes a 900 mile trip seem like thousands of miles for the tire

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sir,

Let me start by directing you to utilize Nitrogen Air!!! It has saved me hundreds of dollars and has prevented me from having disatrous results out on the highway. My first set of tires lasted about 50k plus miles, only reason I am on a second set now was due to my 29ft Enclosed Trailer all support beams/welds breaking causing my right side to bounce up and down and shredded the two right tires, but let me assure you I noticed it in California Made it to Texas and when I moved my final load of my 3 week trip. It finally shredded the tire yet still no blow out, I had wires showing on the outer edge and no treads it was bald tire. Now I have two spare tires just in case and with great thread left.

If you have not filled your vehicles or trailers with nitrogen you are playing Russian Roulett, let me explain why. They never fluctuate in temperature, they maintain the same pressure always whether it sits for several days or months. I paid $29.99 for the truck and I paid $29.99 for the trailer to be done. I highly recommend you do that and check out the Westlake Tires that I went ahead and repurchased despite the negative reviews. They did me well and they went above and beyond. I should have had two blows during that tire shredding by the aluminum fender just like the one you have pictured.

This is the best deal you can find and get on ebay 4 St 225 75R15 Westlake Radial Tires 10 P R New Trailer Four Tire Set | eBay everywhere else you'll find each tire over $100 a piece.

If you have any other questions please ask.

I have loaded these tires up to about 12k lbs easy, my aluminum trailer weighs about 5k lbs and when I put a 2013 Bentley in there weighing about 6k lbs repeatedly, believe me I say that these tires really do hold up big time!

By the way I'm right outside of Austin and you can call Spillar Hitches North Austin Store and ask them about the tires on the only 29ft enclosed Aluminum trailer they repaired.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I believe that you need 16" rims to go with LT tires which might work better. Seems as though there are a lot of complaints about Marathon tires which many travel trailers use.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had a Power King go on my boat trailer. Tread did not bond to the radial and it was starting to separate. Caught it before it before it failed. I have run several Power Kings with no problems but suspect that they have a higher failure rate than others.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one....

We had 2 Marathons de-tread and blow out on us on a trip from NJ to VA. Both times the only tire store open was Walmart.....yup and they only sold Marathons! I have 2 more of these junkers to replace. One I can see is de-treading already. It would be nice to have good tires you can count on. Scares the heck out of you when these thing blow not to mention the damage to the trailer from having rubber go thru the underside liner.

Now where can you find those Power Kings?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
So Dan,

Any update on this one? What tires did you go with and how are they doing?

SPPD

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went ahead and purchased the Hercules Trailer tires from Firestone. I didn't have much of a choice and had to get something on that day. So far so good, but I'll certainly report back if I have had any problems. If I could have waited, I would have ordered Maxxis tires.

I also just purchased a IR Thermometer to check the tire temps when I stop. Hopefully this will be a good early warning detection system if a tire is failing.

I'm also doing some research on upgrading to 16 wheels, where there are better quality tires made.

Reactions: EcoMax

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where did you get those wheels?

I took the Toy Hauler out this past weekend on a 900 mile trip and had my first trailer tire blow-up experience. I have a really good habit of walking around the trailer every time we stop. On the last leg of my trip I heard a strange pop and some noise that sounded like I was just driving on the edge of the road. I couldn't feel any difference with the trailer and continued to my destination (about 30 miles).

When I pulled into the campground I did my normal walk around and noticed one tired completely shredded and losing air fast. I was lucky and had a good place to put the spare on.

The toy hauler is a 2011, so it's not that old and probably has only 4000 miles on these tires. They are power king tow max tires? Some cheap china tire I'm sure.

Well now I really don't want to chance it and replace all four. Any recommendations on replacement tires? I just called all of local tire shops in the Durango area and have a choice of the following 10ply load range E trailer tires:

West Lake
Hercules
Omni

Thoughts?

View attachment 2173

View attachment 2174

View attachment 2175

View attachment 2176
SOME people don't make sense on here, and i'll get to your question in a minute BUT I have been searching high an low for those wheels you have. I really like the style of them. Are these your trailer Wheels? As far as trailer tires go, I was using the goodyear marathon's for a while but after 2 blowouts in one year i gave up. After looking into it a little bit i found that some time not to long ago goodyear moved their marathon line manufacturing overseas. They used to be made here in the states and were great tires, once they shipped their opperation overseas they just became another cheap trailer tire. I have had the best luck with the Loadstar trailer tires - and actually i haven't had an issue yet. i think they come with a warranty too, don't quote me on that though.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have Goodyear Maratons on my boats trailer and they have lasted awesome. I have about a 4500 lb boat motor trailer combo and I have roughly 20,000 miles on the tires and will get another 25k out of them without a doubt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noooooooooo! Don't buy power kings. I just had one separate that was only 2 years old. we were properly inflated and we weren't overloaded. It didn't blow but the tread came off and did over $9k worth of damage to my trailer!!! they are complete crap! I'm in the process of getting the company to claim liability. this was completely a faulty production tire.

I' leaning more towards the Maxxis trailer tires now. I'm gonna go with a 10 ply.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Noooooooooo! Don't buy power kings. I just had one separate that was only 2 years old. we were properly inflated and we weren't overloaded. It didn't blow but the tread came off and did over $9k worth of damage to my trailer!!! they are complete crap! I'm in the process of getting the company to claim liability. this was completely a faulty production tire.

I' leaning more towards the Maxxis trailer tires now. I'm gonna go with a 10 ply.
How fast were you going when that happened?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Greenball towmasters is what I've used for past 4 years or so. Prior to that I averaged 2 blowouts a year and haven't had any since I switched to GB tires. They are a great quality tire at a great price. The money I save on Maxxiss is spent on other stuff.

If buying from Costco, make sure they aren't too old. Costco tried to sell me 3 year old Greenball tires.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I just haven't had good experiences with trailer tires. My inlaws ran LTs on their fifth wheel for years. I've ran passenger tires on flat-beds, a boat trailer and a high low without issue. I'd rather have a name I trust. Just make sure you match your weight ratings. I'd look at something high psi, too. JM $.02.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts