F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to convert my exterior lights to LED. I'm looking at the Lumen Plasma lights as on CarID. I want to do the turn signals, brake/stop lights, etc.
They say I need a resistor in place for each bulb (flashing or not) if the vehicle as a CAN bus system. Anyone know if it does?
Also...if anyone has used the Lumen Plasma lights, I'd like to know your thoughts. I don't want to do the kits from ebay or anything like that. I'm not afraid to pay a little more for a quality product that looks good.
Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can hook you up with my LED guy i bought all my interior and exterior LEDS from him ..no resistors needed except for the turn signals that's is so you can trick the truck into thinking the LEd is drawing the required power that way it won't fast blink..let me know if you want his info..guy is stand up fast to ship and quality LEDs

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
^^Im doing that mod for probably less than $25..my buddy know how to pop off the lenses and we will wire in our own LED strips and i will tint the lenses...Prior to this idea I was about to spend the money on those also...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Every light on my truck is pretty much Recon. Exterior and interior. Nothing bad to say about the quality or work on these lights. They are holding up extremely well but the downside is the price.

Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, there's alot of confusion the products and quality available in LED. Too bad someone that knows the in and outs of LED lighting couldn't write up an informative guide. It's probably out there somewhere.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have been using superbright LED.com and amazon to replace all of my bulbs, I use the superbright guide to find the right bulb, and then I shop amazon for the bulbs, and then buy them wherever they're cheaper! The bulbs can be pricey, but I think it's worth it, LED Lights | LED Replacement Bulbs for Cars | 12v | Super Bright LEDs remember that if you're doing turn signals, due to the lower amperage draw of the led bulbs you need to buy flashers so that your turn signals don't tell the truck that a bulb is out and hyperflash.

I have also been using Recon, and DDm Tuning, for other lighting sources, The mirror signals I got from recon because the self conversion just didn't make sense to me when I factored in the time, remove the lenses, but the pieces parts, fabricate the lenses, do the installation... or but the recons, figure out how to get the mirrors apart, fifteen minutes later, done!

All of my HID stuff came from DDM tuning, and someone asked about replacing the vanity mirror bulbs the other day and the replacement is http://www.amazon.com/AGT-White-Single-Bright-Dashboard/dp/B0099T1SPE/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_3_WF9P the installation is another ten minute process, slide the lens cover to the right, take out the two phillips screws, take out the mirror assembly, close the mirror cover so the bulb doesn't get so f-ing hot!, flip the assembly over, take the bulb off of the post, take the old bulb out with a pair of needle nosed pliers (the bulb has no interest in coming out, so be dilligent while you're swearing at the little #####ing bulb!) open the mirror cover before you replace the new bulb because the LED's are polarized, so you don't want to push the bulb (that appears to be way too small and will never provide you with the desired amount of light) all the way home before you test it, place the bulb back on the post (the fixture is hooded, the hood facees you, so you shouldn't be able to see the new buld if it's right) pop the two clips under the visor and oush to the left until the screw holes drop into place and replace the two screws...Done! again, took longer to figure out how the f-ing thing came apart then it did to do both mirrors, now I just have to figure out how to get the lenses off of the Lincoln's vanity mirrors with breaking them!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Okay, I went digging into my bulb boxes and here's what I have
Audio equipment Technology Electronics Electronic device
Direct replacement HID headlight bulbs from DDM tuning, upwards of a hundred bucks each from ford, appx$65 for the pair
Automotive lighting Electronic component Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire
Dome and map light bulbs, (blue from the Navigator, clear from the ECO, LED festoon replacement (festoon is polarized)
Technology Electronics Electronic device Gadget Router
HID foglight kit (single shown, sold as a pair) from DDM tuning, it's a plug and play affair, the bulbs fit your stock bulb husing, and the ballast wiring plugs in between the stock wiring and the HID fogs, I mounted my ballast on top of the bumper mounts on either side of the grill
Electronic device Capacitor Technology Passive circuit component Circuit component
High power bulb, 3rd brake light, reverse lights, careful, bulbs are polarized, so they only work one way
Technology Electronic device Gadget Electronics accessory Hardware programmer
High power LED bulb, regular 360 degree LED bulb (does not make a good third brake light, especially in the day time!), stock 921 bulb, the 921 base is prevelant on the vehicle applications, so you'll find yourself using a lot of these, the cheapest I found the High power ones was $6+ apeice, I needed ten for the navigator and three for the ECO, painful little box from superbright!

Technology Gadget Electronic device
t5w LED for the visor vanity mirror light, and the stock bulb (once again the bulbs are polarized)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Every light on my truck is pretty much Recon. Exterior and interior. Nothing bad to say about the quality or work on these lights. They are holding up extremely well but the downside is the price.

Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost

The old saying....you get what you pay for! Recon makes a quality product. :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts