F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a pair of the Recon side mirror reflectors/turn signals (smoked).
RECON Part # 264241BK - SMOKED Ford F150 & Raptor 09-13 Amber LED Side Mirror Lenses

They came with NO type of instruction at all. Obviously I need to wire them into the turn signals. Has anyone does this that could provide some information about where to tap and what wires to tap. I know there's an LED turn signal on the mirror side of the mirror assembly, but I don't readily see the wires for it...can it be used? I can obviously go down the door and into the engine bay, but again; what wires and where?

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You can send me them and I will wire and make a write up! Haha. Just kidding.

This is what I have found by searching other places

"Basically, you will have a positive and a ground wire coming from the unit itself. You will have to take your mirror off and feed the wires down up near the headlight and tap into either the positive turn signal lead or the positive parking light lead on your truck (depending on how you want them to function). "

Not sure if this helps or not. But just one post I have seen.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ecoboost2012...your generousity is overwhelming. :)

Thanks for that info...that gives me a place to start. The truck has the LED turnsignals on the mirror side of the mirror assembly. I was hoping (and assuming) that you would simply tap there. I don't see those wires when I remove the current reflector or the puddle-light underneather the mirror assembly. But those wires have to be in there somewhere. I would think you could use those.

·
Registered
578 Posts
They wire right into the signal, Black and green with a white stripe. White stripe on the signals to white stripe on the reflector replacements...tap and done. The easiest way to get to these wires is to remove the mirror lens, then remove the four #4 hex screws that hold that two pieces of the mirror assembly together in order to separate them. This allows for easy access to the wires that run to the OEM turn signal and the splice was simple. I used wire taps, but the wire is of such a small guage that I had to strip the wires on the signals (stock) a little first, I also drilled a small hole in the housing behind the new signals so that the wire wasn't crimped, one last thing, be sure to get the light to click in completely, otherwise you'll end up taking the whole deal apart to put it back in lol!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I see this is an old thread but just installed mine today. Very nice mod. Recon should include some (4) wire taps which you can get from any good hardware store. You'll also want to use some dielectric grease and electrical tape. Here are the Recon directions which are pretty good: http://www.gorecon.com/download_file.php?download_key=81

I was happy to get rid of the amber stripe on my black and red mirrors.

IMG_20140104_161220.jpg

Turn signals:

IMG_20140104_161255.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
I see this is an old thread but just installed mine today. Very nice mod. Recon should include some (4) wire taps which you can get from any good hardware store. You'll also want to use some dielectric grease and electrical tape. Here are the Recon directions which are pretty good: http://www.gorecon.com/download_file.php?download_key=81

I was happy to get rid of the amber stripe on my black and red mirrors.

View attachment 5830

Turn signals:

View attachment 5831

Was it was it tough to get the mirrors out when u first started working on them? What worked for u? Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
Was it was it tough to get the mirrors out when u first started working on them? What worked for u? Thanks
It was a little tough to get the first clip on each mirror. I tried to err on the side of caution and had a tech at the dealer show me how to do it. As the directions say, push the bottom of the mirrors in and looking in from the top, use a large, flat head screw driver to pry the clips holding the mirrors. If you use a flashlight, it's easy to see the clips to be pried. Once you get the first, the rest are easy. The directions also don't mention the wires to the puddle lights. Just be aware if you have them.

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
RubyTues
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing