F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on the fence about buying a catch can for my stock 2013 ecoboost for a little while now. I'm pretty sure about pulling the trigger in this and buy one. I leaning towards the UPR catch can, but had some questions that I'm hoping some of you can honestly answer for me. I really want as an unbiased response as possible....no salesmen (or women) wanted or needed....(I'm not paying close to $400 for a catch can!).

1. I live in NY where the other day it was -6F. Will this catch can freeze up on me? Anyone in the colder climates have any issues with that?

2. Do I really need 2 catch cans?? If I buy just the passenger side (boosted side?), then would that catch most of it? I figure 1 is better than none. I've been told i do not need a catch can on the driver's side by a very knowable source....it would be over kill for a stock engine he said. Also, I'm trying to keep the cost down before I wake up one of these days in the middle of the night with my wife standing over top of me holding a knife!...at this point she hates my truck and I've spent nothing compared to some of you!

3. Specifically, those of you running the UPR on the passenger side, what are your thoughts?

I need to get about 100,000 miles out of this truck, which I do about 15,000 miles a year (so, in about 6.5 years).

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that my truck sits outside In the cold 95% of the time

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Freezing Condensate Water In Catch CanHere is good reading. Also google " oil catch can freeze "
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Seems like u solve one problem (carbon on intakes) only to create a possible other major problem (blowing seals due to a frozen catch can). So I'm assuming u don't have one on there in Wisconsin?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frozen oil catch can - NASIOC More good reading about them freezing.
Yeah, but this guy let them get full (didn't empty them!) and then they froze solid. Think that is his own fault. I would check it religiously....I would never allow them to get full. I guess, I was assuming if using regular maintenance (i.e. empty the can!) would this thing freeze up?...the lines? This has been a really cold winter so far in Western NY....usually never get below 0°F....has a few times this winter!

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
The cans that are vented, and that most import guys use catch pretty much water only as they defeat the evacuation function of the PCV and only are venting pressure, that is mainly steam laden, so very prone to freezing. If a can is routed inline like most, and is not a vented, or breathered can you should be fine as as soon as the engine is running 220* crankcase vapors are soon circulate through the can quickly thawing them.

If it is a swmall can, in sub freezing cans with the amount of water caught, they may be full in a short time so empty often so they would not freeze to full, or the flow could be obstruction.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cans that are vented, and that most import guys use catch pretty much water only as they defeat the evacuation function of the PCV and only are venting pressure, that is mainly steam laden, so very prone to freezing. If a can is routed inline like most, and is not a vented, or breathered can you should be fine as as soon as the engine is running 220* crankcase vapors are soon circulate through the can quickly thawing them.

If it is a swmall can, in sub freezing cans with the amount of water caught, they may be full in a short time so empty often so they would not freeze to full, or the flow could be obstruction.
Thanks for your reply Tuner Boost. I appreciate your knowledge a lot on this subject.

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/3...-you-want-catch-cans-we-got-catch-cans-2.html

Good thread showing many of the cans being sold today, and in the cold climates, it is critical to drain often. The vented ones will all freeze in below freezing temps causing issues, and the small ones will also fill to quickly and then burp the mixture into the tubes. If the can is of proper size, even if the mixture in the bottom would freeze in very cold weather, as soon as the engine is up to temp the gasses flowing through will melt it quickly. If it is to small, and is full to the outlet/inlet, then it can block the flow and not thaw as well as cause crankcase pressure build-up and the issues related to that. Many choose a can by appearance, nice small compact and easy to fit (look at a home depot/lowes air compressor type unit some use) without taking into consideration all that is involved in a proper design.

Good post.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been on the fence about buying a catch can for my stock 2013 ecoboost for a little while now. I'm pretty sure about pulling the trigger in this and buy one. I leaning towards the UPR catch can, but had some questions that I'm hoping some of you can honestly answer for me. I really want as an unbiased response as possible....no salesmen (or women) wanted or needed....(I'm not paying close to $400 for a catch can!). 1. I live in NY where the other day it was -6F. Will this catch can freeze up on me? Anyone in the colder climates have any issues with that? 2. Do I really need 2 catch cans?? If I buy just the passenger side (boosted side?), then would that catch most of it? I figure 1 is better than none. I've been told i do not need a catch can on the driver's side by a very knowable source....it would be over kill for a stock engine he said. Also, I'm trying to keep the cost down before I wake up one of these days in the middle of the night with my wife standing over top of me holding a knife!...at this point she hates my truck and I've spent nothing compared to some of you! 3. Specifically, those of you running the UPR on the passenger side, what are your thoughts? I need to get about 100,000 miles out of this truck, which I do about 15,000 miles a year (so, in about 6.5 years). Thanks in advance for all of your help.
For your ecoboost you will need a catch can for both sides...both sides are boosted. Your knowledgeable source is probably thinking of a boosted 5.0 that's when you only need one catch can and it's the passenger side of the motor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts