F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 Terry Taurus 5th Wheel trailer 25 FT that i had been pulling with a 6.0L Diesel. After paying way to much for fuel and repairs i decided to ditch the diesel for a new 2013 Ecoboost FX4 6.5ft 3.55 non tow max. The trailer is old enough that i cant find any sticker or any weight ratings on the trailer. i did find one web page that says about 5000lbs but it doesnt say if that is dry weight. i have two questions first. 1 is there any thing that i need to add or do to my truck to tow this trailer, keeping in mind that we live in utah and i would be towing this trailer up and down mountains. 2 is there any web site that i can find more information out about this trailer/ who would i take this trailer to too be weight? Any and all help would be appreciated.

I have considered adding air bags to the back to help with leveling the truck for a safer and more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
170 Posts
A local grain elevator, fertilizer plant, or truck scale shop can help with the weight.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I had airbags in my '08 f150 and liked them alot, but think I am going to try an Add A Leaf in this truck. If I dont like it I am going to get a set of airbags again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Agree with tech 747 about the scales. Here's a site that does a pretty good job talking about towing issues, including important weight considerations:

Introduction to Towing a Trailer | Hitches & Towing 101

Pay special attention to the "payload capacity" of your truck and the "pin weight" of the trailer. Bags can level the rig, but it won't increase the actual strength of the components in the rear end (springs, axle, tires, etc.).

Without a doubt, you will need trailer brakes.

All that said, I envy the fun that is waiting for you. Utah is beautiful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im definately no expert, but would like to help. So if i say something incorrect somone please correct me! First, of course, safety is paramount to your success. Google the website changin gears towing calculator (the website will come up). Its loaded with information about all the acronyms (gvwr, gcwr, gawr, etc.). And also defines what everything is. Its a good source for general understanding on real towing. Theres even a nice calculator to input your numbers and play with weight. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help! all great info. i found a weigh station close to work so i will take the trailer in one day and see how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts