F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought what i thought would be my dream truck. (coming from a Dodge Ram 1500 2W drive) I got the 2012 ford f150 super crew cab with the EB engine. I love everything about it. I just turned 1k miles on mine this week. Life was good until i came aross the many, many, many, bad reviews for the EB engine. People had stories of trying to get on the highway and losing all power. I just spent 45k on my truck...i hope i wont have this trouble. My truck was built in June of 2012. I hope they found the fix before i bought mine. I did notice a plast defelctor on my intercooler. Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
From what I've read, Ford has it figured out. I have 3700 miles on my 2013 and have had no problems of the nature described with the intercooler. In fact there's a post somewhere here from someone who had the problem and after the fix now describes his as "a whole new truck" or something like that.

Others complain the fuel mileage isn't up to the EPA rating. Most are far from the 2 wheel drive high geared model upon which the results were based. Mine is a 4x4 3.31 geared SCAB and is averaging almost 17 mpg overall including a couple of highway trips and a short stint pulling my trailer. After seeing 13 best ever with my 01 Ram with 70 hp less, I'm thrilled!

Enjoy your new truck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for sharing. I will keep my fingers crossed. I have put my truck through the paces to see if the problem comes up and so far so good.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the info! I love my 2012 EB SCREW. I just wish i woudl have seen the light and come over to Ford sooner!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just bought what i thought would be my dream truck. (coming from a Dodge Ram 1500 2W drive) I got the 2012 ford f150 super crew cab with the EB engine. I love everything about it. I just turned 1k miles on mine this week. Life was good until i came aross the many, many, many, bad reviews for the EB engine. People had stories of trying to get on the highway and losing all power. I just spent 45k on my truck...i hope i wont have this trouble. My truck was built in June of 2012. I hope they found the fix before i bought mine. I did notice a plast defelctor on my intercooler. Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks!
I also have just bought a 12 EB SCREW and just turned over 1000 miles. I have a perhaps silly question. What is a plast deflector? I have nothing at all on my intercooler, infact was thinking there should be a grill there. Waiting on aftermarket or a trip to the hardware store.

But all in all I too love my F150.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also have just bought a 12 EB SCREW and just turned over 1000 miles. I have a perhaps silly question. What is a plast deflector? I have nothing at all on my intercooler, infact was thinking there should be a grill there. Waiting on aftermarket or a trip to the hardware store.

But all in all I too love my F150.
There are 2 air deflectors located under and just back of front bumper.. One of them is to divert air to the intercooler..

I love my 2012 4x4 Platinum Ecoscrew.. I have 3600 miles on mine and still can't stop smiling every time I drive it..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've read all those horror stories as well... From what I've learned there are problems with some of the motors depending on the climate, humidity and full throttle acceleration from steady state cruising. If your truck was built late September in 2012 it's supposed to have the fix. I've got a friend with a 12 and he's had some trouble with it but so far my 13 is trouble free.

Enjoy your new truck and don't fret the possibility of trouble.

·
Registered
64 Posts
28,000 miles on my EB and nothing wrong so far. Pulled my 8000 pound toy hauler over Raton pass at 60 mph with the cruise set, Cottonwood pass at 12,000 +feet, Monarch Pass, and not a problem yet. I just had the transmission serviced and no less than three people at the Ford house asked me why I was having it serviced so soon.
One thing I did notice that you may want to watch for. With the EQ hitch set to match the 1150 pound tongue weight of the trailer, it actually pushed the bumper upward at an angle about 1/8 inch in the middle. Air bags for sure if you're going to tow heavy tongue weights.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just bought a 2013 screw fx4 ecoboost and hope I didn't buy the next Ford 6.0 diesel. I only have 600 miles but I love the comfort and mileage over the truck i sold a 2002 F-250 screw lariat V-10. It was a great truck and I never had any problems but the ride and mileage were bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2011 and I just turned over 36,000 miles and have never had any problem concerning acceleration with mine. I also have never reset the master MPG guage and have in 36,000 averaged 18.1 MPG

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2012 crew xlt EB that I purchased in Aug. Currently have 21000 miles on it and love the truck! No issues here so far. :cool:

I have installed a Bumper Billet Grill insert to protect my intercooler and also installed a Turbo/Vac Guage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One thing I did notice that you may want to watch for. With the EQ hitch set to match the 1150 pound tongue weight of the trailer, it actually pushed the bumper upward at an angle about 1/8 inch in the middle. Air bags for sure if you're going to tow heavy tongue weights.
Medic, Medik - Could you explain this further? Right now we conventional tow about 6,500 lbs loaded with a weight distribution hitch (wdh), but will be looking to get a bigger (used) camper when Spring gets here. We'll get a slide-out and more length, probably getting up in the 8,000-8,500 lb. range. I have a 9,500 lb. tow rating.

First of all, is your 'EQ' reference short for Equalizer and would that be the same as what I just called a wdh? Second, I have never heard of matching the tongue weight of the trailer...could you explain that for me?

Thank you. E53

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
emerick53
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing