F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short... I love my 3.5 FX4 but I’ve been having a very weird over heating issue when pulling long grades in temps over 100 during the summer I’ve had it in at the dealership five times now and they say nothing is wrong with the truck I feel like it’s a turbo issue because when I let my foot out of it temps drop immediately I’m not towing but it has a lift on 35’s ... I’m very frustrated with the dealership I have video of it and they still dismiss it... also noticed a little bit of oil residue on driver side turbo that is also showing up on the inlet side of intercooler... dealership says it’s normal... I feel like I’m about to loose my s#!t

·
Registered
162 Posts
Have you owned it since new? What year model? Tuned or stock? Does the tranny downshift at all? What gear ratio? I'm guessing the issue came up after the larger tires were added?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you owned it since new? What year model? Tuned or stock? Does the tranny downshift at all? What gear ratio? I'm guessing the issue came up after the larger tires were added?
I just bought it two years ago from ford with the lift & tires it’s pretty much stock no tuner, I installed a cool air intake and that made it a little better but still same issue. The truck has 373 transmission shifts between gears beautiful in in process of buying a data logging device

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
What sort of weight are you hauling? is this on an empty truck?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Sounds like you may have a turbo problem or a coolant system issue. There is no "silver bullet" for trucks getting hot while pulling grades. You can spend thousands to "improve" the situation but it really depends how bad it is to begin with, how much you're trying to pull, and how fast you're trying to pull it.

That said, I've never heard of someone overheating on an empty truck. Something isn't right. You either aren't generating and delivering boost properly, OR you have a cooling system issue (water pump, stuck thermostat, etc.). Start with the simple things, then dive more in-depth to your comfort level. Use the sensor readings as a guide to what is "normal" and document readings when the issue presents itself.

A good dealer should be able to diagnose the issue. Try another dealer?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dan
Yeah I’ve already addressed all of the cooling system things I tend to agree with you on a turbo issue I just picked the truck back up from the dealership today they replaced the vacuum pump and told me that there was no DTC codes indicating that the truck had over heated even though I had video of the incident with the temperature maxed out and the check engine light flashing so I’m going to install a data logging device and then take your advice and try a different dealership... thanks for your time

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
good luck

·
Registered
300 Posts
Define over heating? Does the engine temp light come on? What temperature are you hitting?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can tell by the instant fuel economy that I’m hardly even putting my foot in it doing freeway speed on a long uphill grade

·
Registered
300 Posts
The truck doesn’t display actual temperature so I’m waiting for the digital monitor that I ordered to show up and then I’ll take a long drive
If the light didn't come it's not over heating. The gauge on the dash is more of a switch than a real gauge, 210-220 is the middle and 220 plus ish it jumps right. Was it running hot? Yeah probably, but you are working it.

This is a 21 psi cooling system water doesn't boil until 255 ish and the engine over temp doesn't come on until 250 degrees.

You were probably in the 230 ish degree range with is okay for the situation. Data logging its pretty normal to see these things touch 240 degrees in say a 1/4 mile run. As long as it comes back down it's normal when you let off the load.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Okay what kind of grade? And really hauling ass at 75 mph on a grade...

Don't forget since your aren't tuned your speedo is way off. Stock tires are 32" you're now on 35s. That's a 3" difference without being either tuned or even having the tire size in the PCM changed. For 2 years your speed and mileage have been way off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Don't forget since your aren't tuned your speedo is way off. Stock tires are 32" you're now on 35s. That's a 3" difference without being either tuned or even having the tire size in the PCM changed. For 2 years your speed and mileage have been way off.
[/

i was on interstate 40 leaving needles the speed limit there is 70 mph it’s about an 6-8 percent grade I think? And I have the correct Speedo computer installed all of the upgrades were installed by Ford I bought it from Ford with the lift & tires

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the light didn't come it's not over heating. The gauge on the dash is more of a switch than a real gauge, 210-220 is the middle and 220 plus ish it jumps right. Was it running hot? Yeah probably, but you are working it.

This is a 21 psi cooling system water doesn't boil until 255 ish and the engine over temp doesn't come on until 250 degrees.

You were probably in the 230 ish degree range with is okay for the situation. Data logging its pretty normal to see these things touch 240 degrees in say a 1/4 mile run. As long as it comes back down it's normal when you let off the load.

Yeah that’s kinda what I’m hoping and why I’m installing a data logger and monitor so I can see exactly how hot it’s been getting

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
i was on interstate 40 leaving needles the speed limit there is 70 mph it’s about an 6-8 percent grade I think? And I have the correct Speedo computer installed all of the upgrades were installed by Ford I bought it from Ford with the lift & tires
Ford does not havw the ability to tune it for tire size. The highest they can go is stock raptor size.

Have you ever actually used GPS speed to speedo speed?

I know my GPS speed is a match to computer speed but not the analog gauge on my truck the analog gauge is 8-10 km/hr high at 100km/hr.

Don't think for a second that just because a Ford dealer sold you a truck with a lift and big tires that it was done properly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts