F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 F150 3.5l 4x4 FX4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new here but I don’t know if this belongs in this thread so correct me if I need to adjust. I am having an issue with my driver side headlight high beam, it constantly stays on after I have used the high beams but I have noticed it sometimes turns off like goes back to low beam but not noticed what causes it to go into low beam. I have a 2013 fx4 3.5 4x4 f150 and would like to know that cause of this or some solutions to the issue. Please and thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Are the housings reflective or projector? If it’s the projector type, the shutter shield gets stuck over time.

The HID projector headlights use a single filament HID that has a shield in front of it to produce a cut off for low beam. When high beam is wanted, the shield is fully removed.

If it’s the standard reflector housing, then you may have a wiring issue.

·
Registered
297 Posts
What @SrpRacing said. A 2013 FX4 should have HID’s with the smoked housing. This sounds very similar to an issue I had with my last truck, and a Ford tech friend of mine said the same thing about the shutters. Wouldn’t you know brought it to Ford and he was right on the money.

·
Registered
2013 F150 3.5l 4x4 FX4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So Pretty much I’d have to replace the headlight housing to fix it?
What @SrpRacing said. A 2013 FX4 should have HID’s with the smoked housing. This sounds very similar to an issue I had with my last truck, and a Ford tech friend of mine said the same thing about the shutters. Wouldn’t you know brought it to Ford and he was right on the money.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Do they look like these?

I did the halogen to HID swap on my XLT. I used OEM housing and once I had a light stay on bright. Toggled high to low and never happened again. These housing are very expensive so I found used ones. Haven’t been all that impressed with the light pattern. You might be better off with aftermarket lights.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
297 Posts
I did a ton of research at the time and couldn’t come up with a fix I could do myself other than throwing aftermarket housings in. So the only fix I’m aware of is a new headlight unfortunately.

·
Registered
2013 F150 3.5l 4x4 FX4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My headlight looks exactly like that so I might just look into a n aftermarket headlight set

Do they look like these?

I did the halogen to HID swap on my XLT. I used OEM housing and once I had a light stay on bright. Toggled high to low and never happened again. These housing are very expensive so I found used ones. Haven’t been all that impressed with the light pattern. You might be better off with aftermarket lights.
View attachment 172308

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Anything aftermarket will be a downgrade from the HIDs. They also use a specific connector compared to the standard H13.

Only improvement you can make to the HIDs is retrofitting them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts