F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2014 F150 3.5l with about 38k miles on it. I’ve looked through some postings and couldn’t decipher the overall problem.

what’s going on..
Yesterday while driving, the truck really hesitated to go over 2000 rpm, rolling into the gas didn’t work, nor did stepping on it harder.

I got to work and turned it off, at lunch time I decided to drive a bit and it was fine, no symptoms today yet either.

could this be a throttle body going bad, bad spark plugs, oils in the inter cooler, maybe all of the above?

Any help would be appreciated.

by the way, this is my first post.

thanks

·
Super Modistrator
2,269 Posts
First thing that went through my head would have been the throttle body. It is also not uncommon for throttle bodies to be hit and miss when they start to go, not in all situations but it happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for this, just as a follow up, I put a scan tool on it and it’s returning a code of P0299.

the truck is completely stock other than a catch can I installed a year ago.

would this still fall under the list above, or could it be something else?

·
Registered
735 Posts
My 2013 has a BOV on the driver's side of the intercooler. Pull that off and see if there is a tear in the diaphragm.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I searched for the code on this site after I posted. Thank you for the straight forward response. Same info as other posts.

I do appreciate the response. I may try to look tomorrow, depending on weather.

again thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello All, it's been a while, but I finally just took out the BOV to check the diaphragm, and it's fine. No holes.
I have not gotten the code again since the last time I posted. so not sure where to go next.
I don't like intermittent problems. I think I have felt hesitation in the acceleration since then, but I couldn't say for sure as it wasn't nearly as bad as the first time.

If anyone has anymore suggestions, I am open to them.

Thank you again.
Bill

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
The only thing i could think could result in a P0299 is:

1. Failed wastegates/wastegate actuators
2. Failed Throttle body
3. Failed BOV
4. failed MAP sensor

You checked the bov so that is out. The MAP is easy to check if you have a tuning device or an obd reader. Turn the key on but dont start the engine. Verify the MAP reads the same as what your ambient pressure should be at your elevation.

TB should give you its own code.

Reactions: Mikedick77

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
858 Posts
I also got that code when I blew the hell out of my passenger turbo. But, that thing blew oil all into the air system, and I had to clean the map sensors off, purge oil out of the system.

So based on my experience here, i'd tell you to clean your sensors, all 3, cause it's free. If you don't have a weep hole, do that. If you don't believe in those, or want to do it, check the intercooler for any oil pooling. If your MAP's are filthy, there's a reason. You could check your plugs. With that mileage, they shouldnt be bad. But they could need a re-gap. If they're bad, the mileage didn't do it. They probably aged to death :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello everyone,

Hopefully my last update on this.

about 3 weeks ago, my problem got worse, I was driving home and the hesitation got worse, I got an error code P0016 along with code P0299 from earlier.
So, I scheduled some time with Ford. They came back with the timing chain being stretched past it's life and the chain tensioner, they said failed, which I'm guessing means it was extended past where it should be.

The good news is I have an extended warranty on the truck, with a Deductible which is why I was trying to figure out the problem myself before bringing to Ford.

I got the truck back and drove about 600 miles this weekend and all seem to be okay.

Without the warranty the repair would have cost me $3300.

What worries me is that the chain stretched that far with under 40K miles on it. I guess we'll see what happens in the future.

But, at lease there is some closure for now.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts