F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hesitation, long lag or dead spot in accelerating. New 3.5 Ecoboost w. 10-speed

I posted this on the F150 forum and am not getting any nibbles, so I thought I'd expand my search.
First, I originally said 2.7 when I actually have a 3.5 L engine! Sorry...
I am on the verge of going in for my first oil change and I want to get the shop to look into my mysterious hesitation issue. The last time it happened I was close to full of 87 octane gas, it was fully warmed up but 30 degrees outside. It hesitated probably a full second several times and seemed to do it more as I took a slow 90 degree turn. Other than that, it's not very predictable when and where and under what conditions it will do this brief stall when I ask it to accelerate. It is not doing this from a dead stop, but when I'm going 20, 30 or 40 and push on the pedal...

It has done it from day one, in September, when it was not cold. If it didn't hesitate when going straight I would have thought the nanny safety controls were kicking in as I try to accelerate around a corner. It may be doing that too! It seems rather sluggish when I try to accelerate out of a corner with the tiniest bit of G's.
Now, I'm used to turbocharged sports cars, which have little lag, but this seems very wrong and it's also intermittent.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
It's NOT normal. One thing I loved about my 2.7 was how brief the lag was. Those turbos mount directly to the head. No manifold. Crazy cool and they spool quick!

Good luck. Hope your dealer is a good one.

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
welcome to the forum

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Scargod,
Did you ever get this resolved? I just bought a 2018 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost two weeks ago. I have the exact same problem. The dead spot on mine is probably closer to 3 seconds long. It only happens from a roll like if you are merging with traffic and you give it more than half throttle. The delay is so bad that I would call it dangerous. I am waiting to take the truck in for the recall (waiting to be notified, but I know my truck is on the list), but I have been thinking of taking it in sooner. Another thing I have noticed is that the transmission seems to slip when it skips to 3rd gear under light acceleration. In sport mode when it hits all gears it doesn't seem to do it.
~Chip

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Just curious, does the symptoms exist if you change modes? Like Sport or Tow?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it seems to have the same lag on both normal and sport mode. I have not tried tow mode yet.
I can't remember if I tried tow but as memory serves me it had the hesitation in normal and sport mode.
I am about to take mine in. I have an upcoming 700 mile towing trip. I haven't driven it much during the winter. I can recall the hesitation occuring while it's been cold. I do notice hard shifts at first, when cold but it improves dramatically when warmed up. I'm not pleased with how it shifts. Reminds me of my 2002 M3 with SMG sequential dual clutch tranny and paddles. It hated going slow and shifted hard.
I'm used to a smooth shifting BMW automatic and the truck is just barely tolerable.
BTW, I am towing a high-powered Subaru STi race car to Watkins Glen. I do all my own work. I know cars. This truck is fun to drive when it all works. I think multiple things (not just one thing) are amiss. Sensors, programming and/or mechanical.
What is this recall you speak of?

·
Registered
421 Posts
It may be electrical , if it does it around corners , loose connectors possibly , or loose fuel pump fuse , i would let it idle and start moving wire harnesses around in engine compartment and under truck, see if it skips a beat then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. The recall is for a clip on the shift linkage. The truck could not be in park when you think it is. Not a big deal.

I do not have an issue with hard shifts. If anything, they are too soft. Especially the 1-3 shift in normal mode. It is like the transmission slips. Hot or cold, the shifts are the same. Other shifts are so smooth that you don't even notice them.

My real concern is the lag to accelerate. It is like the truck doesn't register that you nailed the throttle. No increase in RPMs, no downshift, nothing. Eventually the RPMs rise a bit, the transmission downshifts and it takes off like a rocket ship. I have seen videos about reprogrammers for the drive-by-wire throttle that seem to take care of this but that seems like an extreme measure for what seems to be a drivability flaw inherent to these vehicles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The issue with mine isn't limited to corners. It does it in a straight line too. Good idea to check all the connectors though. It does seem like there is a disconnect between the throttle pedal and the throttle body.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
What's so confusing to me about these kinds of issues is how a mass-produced machine can be perfectly replicated (relatively speaking) and yet have such disparity in outcome.

I don't agree that this lag is "inherent to these vehicles". Inherent is an exaggeration. But I do agree that it's absolutely true that some percentage of them appear to perform very differently.

What's a bit irritating is that once the unintended results are identified, the manufacturer can't or won't quickly disseminate the information to the network so that a solution can be shared. We live in an information age. It's really not difficult. Designing and mass producing these very complicated machines is far more a challenge than information sharing would be.

Another similar example was the 5* tune for the 18's having issues with just SOME trucks. It too seemed random. Equally confusing to 5*, I'd assume. Fortunately they stayed focused and appear to have finally found the cause and solution.

I'm betting there are similarities. Or put another way, I'm betting it is software, rather than mechanical.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are right, "inherent" may have been too broad of a stroke. It does, however, seem to be a relatively common complaint. And I agree that it is likely just a calibration issue. All in all, this is just an awesome truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 12 has this same issue, it just recently popped up. But it happens in all conditions under acceleration, hard or easy.
Tow or standard modes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First service at 2,200 miles was uneventful. My complaints about hesitation fell on deaf ears. They found nothing and nothing happened in a test drive. They said there was an FSB for a harness not attached properly (something like that, in the engine compartment) but that mine was installed correctly.
Several times salesmen or service writers have suggested that the 10-speed was shifting and skipping gears while downshifting and that I did not realize what was happening. I call bull-****! I'm not a rookie driver asleep at the wheel. I am a race car driver and very sensitive to and attune with what a car is doing!
My only complaints are about the dead spots when accelerating. Sometimes it seems it doesn't go when I want it to when I am going around a corner somewhat slowly in a low gear.
That and I think it dumb and antiquated that I cannot set a cabin temp, see the temp and it maintain it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts