F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Okay professional EB guru's here is one that has me twisted.

2015 3.5, completed the G2 to G1 turbo swap with 2019 turbos, the complete Full-Race setup (radiator, FMIC, piping, CAI,) Turbosmart supersonic, etc....

Once the surgery was complete, started and let it idle, leak checked etc. Drove it very lightly on stock tune and then installed 3 bar MAP and custom big turbo tune.

Noted the issue when leaving a stop sign, traffic light, going onto the freeway, etc. Any time I would accelerate it would surge, or hesitate until it "caught its breath."

Thought it was a tune issue, reached out to tuner and sent logs. He requested I swap back in the OEM MAP and factory stock tune...I did and logged it...same issue.

In the log you can see it is the boost "surging" up and down. Pedal position stays the same, etc...motor is reacting to the extra air being pumped in...up and down. Weird.

So the issue is NOT the tune.

Throttle body? It is OEM, truck has 134K miles.

Is it possible I have a loose connection to one of my pipes?

Will post the stock logs shortly for those that wish to take a look.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
@SrpRacing the BOV is connected to a Turbosmart adapter at the intake plenum MAP. Unless it is not set correctly (the softer/harder settings...)

I did order some 2 inch to 1.75 inch 45 degree couplings to replace the 2/2 inch that came with the new hot pipes...it is a possibility that it is leaking there...

Throttle body could def be an issue at those miles. I just replaced mine around 90k. But mine would go into full on limp mode randomly when it was on its way out as opposed to driving like crap. It would be fine and the, boom, no power. Pull over, cycle ignition, then it would drive fine for another 2 weeks.

Can you post your logs?

@SrpRacing the BOV is connected to a Turbosmart adapter at the intake plenum MAP. Unless it is not set correctly (the softer/harder settings...)

I did order some 2 inch to 1.75 inch 45 degree couplings to replace the 2/2 inch that came with the new hot pipes...it is a possibility that it is leaking there...
Put the stock BOV back on ASAP and give it a try.

Where is the surge actually occuring in stock surge log 1? Around 100 seconds?

So going firmer with the setting on the BOV should in theory address the issue if it is in fact the BOV...
Yes and no. I’ll get hate for saying this but going from an eBOV to a mechanical BOV is a downgrade on our platform. Our calibration was designed to utilize an eBOV. Our eBOV doesn’t function like a normal boosted setup. It will actually command itself to open even when you’re accelerating.

The truck is not going to throw any codes etc because I imagine you have the provided Turbosmart Fool Plug.

What you’re describing sounds exactly like the issues I was having on my raptor when prototyping different intercoolers.

Discussion starter · #18 ·
No hate from me. I went through two OEM EBOV's and a TS Veeport EBOV and experienced a massive loss of boost due to it purging while under throttle. Was not the goal I was looking for. Especially when pulling a heavy trailer on a grade.

That is why I went to the supersonic and up until now, I have had no issues.

Going to have a look and see if it is set wrong, or requires some more significant fine tuning...

Is WGDC flipped on the 2015+ trucks compared to pre-2015? In other words, 0% is closed and 100% is open?

Your wastegate is basically pegged at 0% except for a few blips and your TIP and Throttle angle are dancing all over the place. So if 0% WDGC means the WG are closed then def seems like you have an air leak or something.

Is WGDC flipped on the 2015+ trucks compared to pre-2015? In other words, 0% is closed and 100% is open?

Your wastegate is basically pegged at 0% except for a few blips and your TIP and Throttle angle are dancing all over the place. So if 0% WDGC makes the WG are closed then def seems like you have an air leak or something.
That’s exactly what I saw which made me point to the BOV being stuck open.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.