F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a mod that will allow me to keep the fogs on with my hi beams on too? It seems pretty dumb that they don't stay on with both settings.

I used to drive a Lifted 97 Tahoe, and they called it a "4 Hi Mod" on those, but is there ANYTHING out there that I can do to change this on my truck?

Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Did you ever find the answer to this? I am wondering the same thing.
If you're good with electrical it's pretty easy. I'll be posting a write when I do mine. It'll be another month before I'm home though.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
What is this brite box?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If you're good with electrical it's pretty easy. I'll be posting a write when I do mine. It'll be another month before I'm home though.
Unplug the connector to said fog lights, purchase the opposite end with short wires, ground the ground wire and run the other to a toggle switch and bring power to the switch from a source that shuts off when the key is off. Done! Easier said then done but that is the just of it, oh and I always like to solder my wires and use heat shrink tubing instead of using pinch clips that can have problems down the road.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Unplug the connector to said fog lights, purchase the opposite end with short wires, ground the ground wire and run the other to a toggle switch and bring power to the switch from a source that shuts off when the key is off. Done! Easier said then done but that is the just of it, oh and I always like to solder my wires and use heat shrink tubing instead of using pinch clips that can have problems down the road.
I'm going to going to run it on a relay that activates from the high beams as well as the ability to run them from the fog switch. I'm just going to use some diodes to prevent back feeding to the smart box while they're running from the high beam activation.

The relay will only be activated from the high beam, and will draw power from the main electrical circuit. I'm an electronic tech by trade, so mine will definitely look professional as well.

You can skin this cat a few ways.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
What is this brite box?
They create and build the wiring harness for you. A buddy of mine is on his 3rd one (3rd rig) and he has not had to make any modifications to his wiring.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I'm going to going to run it on a relay that activates from the high beams as well as the ability to run them from the fog switch. I'm just going to use some diodes to prevent back feeding to the smart box while they're running from the high beam activation.

The relay will only be activated from the high beam, and will draw power from the main electrical circuit. I'm an electronic tech by trade, so mine will definitely look professional as well.

You can skin this cat a few ways.
With diodes you don't need the relay.
On the gm's we just jumped the power with diodes on the back of the plug under the dash.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
With diodes you don't need the relay.
On the gm's we just jumped the power with diodes on the back of the plug under the dash.
I don't want to pull power directly off of the high beam circuit. These LEDs don't draw much, but HIDs don't typically react well to constant changes in power.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I don't want to pull power directly off of the high beam circuit. These LEDs don't draw much, but HIDs don't typically react well to constant changes in power.
Read up some more, and I see where you are correct.

If I had a writing diagram to read, it would make my life simpler....lol

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Why don't you guys just splice in a relay to the fogs to turn on when the highs do?
That's what I'm doing, I'm just going a little further to make them work off of the factory fog switch as well.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I've never used diodes for this. Although I'm sure it works, your route seems like a lot of extra work, you can eliminate much of it by taking the high beam equation out and running a toggle switch. Since the factory fogs are (trying to remember) 38 watts, it isn't really enough draw to warrant a relay. I replaced mine with LED bulbs so the draw is even less.
As mentioned there are probably several ways to make this work. Sometimes the simplest way is the best if for no other reason then there are less parts to fail.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I've never used diodes for this. Although I'm sure it works, your route seems like a lot of extra work, you can eliminate much of it by taking the high beam equation out and running a toggle switch. Since the factory fogs are (trying to remember) 38 watts, it isn't really enough draw to warrant a relay. I replaced mine with LED bulbs so the draw is even less.
As mentioned there are probably several ways to make this work. Sometimes the simplest way is the best if for no other reason then there are less parts to fail.
That's where the old method of KISS (keep it simple stupid) comes in, but I have enough toggles in the truck now. I want to be able to run them with either the low beam or the high beam, while utilizing the factory fog switch. I probably don't need the diodes, but I'm just playing it safe to prevent back feeding the fog circuit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do you have any pictures of your toggles? Don't really know where I want to mount mine yet.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Do you have any pictures of your toggles? Don't really know where I want to mount mine yet.
No, I get a few tomorrow to post on here.

I used the flat panel by you left knee.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts