F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2018 XLT 3.5 ecoboost with 10 speed. I am wondering what would be the best performance upgrades to start with. My budget is $1500. I have seen an intake, tuner, and intercooler package and am interested in any information.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am also wondering what would be the best adjustable hitch for the money. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Tune and Equalizer wdh with 4 point sway control. ~$1500

Reactions: snowenss

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Tune.....

Don't need a Intake... stock will flow as good as you will need for stock turbos

Then I would get an IC ... Many benefits.......

AMS Intake Tubes would not be a bad investment

You will get many different recopies, but a tune will always be the top mod, best bang for your buck!

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,524 Posts
Not worried about preserving the warranty ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 2018 XLT 3.5 ecoboost with 10 speed. I am wondering what would be the best performance upgrades to start with. My budget is $1500. I have seen an intake, tuner, and intercooler package and am interested in any information.
I'm not sure where you live, but you should start running E30 today (30% ethanol) if it's available. It's compatible with your stock truck and will increase HP by at least 20-30 and probably more like 30-40+, with zero tuning. If you are going to modify it, start with tuning. It will be your best bang for the buck by far.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Yes a tune and CAC/intercooler are complimentary, and the best performance bargain to get. Tune makes the power, CAC keeps the intake charge cool to prevent the engine controller from pulling timing (removing the power gain). Depending on specific parts this will spend $1000 to the whole $1500.
No advice for towing, I do not tow anything. KM

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm not sure where you live, but you should start running E30 today (30% ethanol) if it's available. It's compatible with your stock truck and will increase HP by at least 20-30 and probably more like 30-40+, with zero tuning. If you are going to modify it, start with tuning. It will be your best bang for the buck by far.
Is E30 compatible with a 2013 EB?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Is E30 compatible with a 2013 EB?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
With a tune it can be, but some people do have fueling issues even at E30. upgraded pumps are probably a good idea.

Doing it on the stock tune is asking a lot because its relying on the fuel trims to compensate. there is not flex fuel tuning active in the PCM by default so it will try to target the same lambda as it would with regular pump gas.

Reactions: Mikem3574

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tune.....

Don't need a Intake... stock will flow as good as you will need for stock turbos

Then I would get an IC ... Many benefits.......

AMS Intake Tubes would not be a bad investment

You will get many different recopies, but a tune will always be the top mod, best bang for your buck!
What tuner would be the best? I would like pre programmed and the option for custom. I would prefer a larger screen with more options. Thank you!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in western NY
What tuner would you suggest?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I would like to keep the warranty at least for now.
Then you cannot realistically tune it. If you have an engine failure than they can claim the tune was the cause.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I think I'm willing to risk it if I have a solid tuner with factory defaults.
Then you might as well go all out with a few add-ons that take advantage of the tunes. Screw the warranty.

Reactions: Varanus1

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Then you might as well go all out with a few add-ons that take advantage of the tunes. Screw the warranty.
He's Gen2. He doesn't need a single "bolt-on" to jump ~100HP

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
With a tune it can be, but some people do have fueling issues even at E30. upgraded pumps are probably a good idea.

Doing it on the stock tune is asking a lot because its relying on the fuel trims to compensate. there is not flex fuel tuning active in the PCM by default so it will try to target the same lambda as it would with regular pump gas.
No offense, but you do not need any tuning to run E30. The computer will compensate and add extra fuel to keep the o2 sensor happy and there are no issues whatsoever. Google glacial lakes e30 and look around a bit. An ethanol plant and auto shop teamed up and ran a bunch of vehicles on E30 for quite a few miles, and the 2011 ecoboost was a beast. I know a lot of people running E30 in their ecoboosts here in SD, both the 2.7 and 3.5. It is a no-brainer and there is zero downside. I would suggest palm beach dyno ngauge or lund for tunes.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
He's Gen2. He doesn't need a single "bolt-on" to jump ~100HP

He also expressed interest in CAC and CAI with a tune.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
No offense, but you do not need any tuning to run E30. The computer will compensate and add extra fuel to keep the o2 sensor happy and there are no issues whatsoever. Google glacial lakes e30 and look around a bit. An ethanol plant and auto shop teamed up and ran a bunch of vehicles on E30 for quite a few miles, and the 2011 ecoboost was a beast. I know a lot of people running E30 in their ecoboosts here in SD, both the 2.7 and 3.5. It is a no-brainer and there is zero downside. I would suggest palm beach dyno ngauge or lund for tunes.
I didnt say it wouldnt. I said it is asking a lot of the fuel trims. There is no flex fuel capability in the tune to let the PCM adjust the desired lambda for ethanol content.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
He also expressed interest in CAC and CAI with a tune.
Touché

But you and I both know that neither of those are power mods. So for warranty-stealth, reasonable to avoid.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts