F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2014 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 3.5L EcoBoost with 200K miles on it (yes, 200,000 miles) that came off a company lease (must have been one hell of an overage bill for miles) and looks like it was very well maintained. I got it for a good price and didn't want a car payment, so I made the jump. I drove it on the highway and it drove just like a brand new one that I test drove. No strange noises, leaks, rust, etc. It's so quiet you can barely hear it running. Just took it on a 450 mile trip this weekend after I bought it, mostly 70+ MPH on State an Interstate highways, and had no issues or strange noises. No shuddering, no pulling, this thing is mint. Super excited about this buy.

Anyway, I've done some additional reading up and I've found a couple things.

High Mileage Maintenance
What items should I consider installing? I've heard catch can, but not sure what else, or if that's even worth the money with the engine at 200K miles.

Water Pump Failure Issues
I've read there's a water pump failure issue with this year engine (and some other years). I also read there was a "professional" grade pump with metal fins, but I couldn't find anything online when trying to look for the part(s). Can anyone help me out here?

Quality Fluids
So everyone says to use "quality fluids", especially at high mileage, but nobody really mentions what that means. AMSOIL? Any high mileage oil?

Fluid Flush
What fluids should (or should I not) flush? I read that I shouldn't do a tranny flush, but should do a differential and cooling flush. What all is recommended?

OASIS Report
I did a CarFax on the truck and it's perfect, one owner, but I'd like to get an OASIS report on it. Would I just go to the dealer for this?

Thank you SO much for your time!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Catch can is a waste.
I would replace every fluid, including the transmission. The days of "changing the fluid can crap the transmission" are long gone. Pick a quality oil... Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum seem to be favorites. I run M1.
Any dealer can pull an OASIS for you. Whether they're willing to is a different story.

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
Local Ford dealer says an OASIS will only show you if there's a recall...
That's some partial mis-information. The OASIS will let you know if there's any open recalls and it will also list any repairs, warranty work, or recalls that have already been performed to the specific vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any ideas on the "professional" water pump I read about? Any reason to consider replacing the water pump? I just read there were some issues with some of them.

·
Administrator
7,836 Posts
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage? Just wanting to make sure before I do an oil change. Thanks!

Either one is good. Walmart usually has them on sale for around $24 dollars for a 5 qt jug.

·
Registered
46 Posts
FLUIDS 4SURE!
I bought my 2014 FX4 SCREW directly form the dealership with 1 previous owner. it had about 53k ( miles ) on her. I went back and forth with Ford on the price then my final request was to change all major fluids.
front & rear diffs, transmission fluid & filter, transfer case fluid. oil change I wanted to do myself but the others I wanted Ford to do this way I started fresh with them. I still have 15k miles left on my extended warranty though which is nice. I too have read mixed things on this CATCH CAN add on. yay or nay not too sure yet... does it work I guess it can't hurt but is is worth the $.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like you purchased a high mileage truck. Mine was a 2013 with 144K on it as it too came off a commercial lease. Mine drove like a nearly new truck. The only things wrong with it was it needed a brake job and different tires as someone put one that were oversize from stock. After all new rotors and pads and someone selling a set of 2016 aluminum wheels and nearly new tires that I bought I've had nearly zero issues. I had to replace one O2 sensor and tighten up some of the clamps on the turbo tubes due to a CEL for both problems.
I couldn't be happier with my truck.

Things I plan on getting done: A second key (I only have one), a trans & coolant flush, and get the damn low tire pressure lite reset. I'll have all this done at my local Ford dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Records show several brake shoe/pad changes, a new O2 sensor, some emissions things fixed (now passes emissions), and a couple other items.

She goes in Friday for a brake fluid, power steering, coolant, and differential fluid changes/flushes as well as an oil change and the master cylinder recall.

I've read that the 5 MPH "shudder" happens (at takeoff) to a lot of the F150s, is this true? I've got that, but it's barely noticeable, so I'm not very concerned yet. Hoping it's not a transmission issue, it doesn't seem to be, if I get on it, she moves! Also, just took a 450 mile trip in the 70+ MPH range most of the time, no vibrations or sounds at high speeds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If it was a fleet or company lease vehicle there should be extensive maintenance records for this thing. Other than regular scheduled maintenance theres no reason to sweat anything else as it running as it should. Just keep up on scheduled maintenance and enjoy the reliability and capability of the trucks we have today. Don't go too far down the forum rabbit hole, you begin to think Ford engineered these things to exploded at any moment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had everything inspected today along with flushing all of the fluids above (coolant, power steering line, and brake lines). Also did a fuel system service. They checked the differential fluid and said it was fine. Only thing that needs replaced is the air filter and then the transmission fluid should be replaced, but I was scared to do it. They said it *could* lead to slippage with it being at 200K miles. I'll wait until I have a few grand saved up before I do it to make sure if it starts slipping I can afford to fix it.

I don't know if it was a ripoff or not, but after the fuel system service there was a noticeable difference in the throttle response. Next I want to replace the plugs. Trying to decide if I just buy them and replace myself or if I go for the Livernois T460 package and give it a little more oomph. A little scared to do that due to it being a 200K mile engine.

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
Next I want to replace the plugs. Trying to decide if I just buy them and replace myself or if I go for the Livernois T460 package and give it a little more oomph. A little scared to do that due to it being a 200K mile engine.
Save yourself about $2,600 and do NOT buy the T460 package. If you want a lot more oomph, then spend $400-500 and get you an SCT X4 with a couple of custom tunes and a fresh set of SP534 Motorcraft spark plugs. Your truck will LOVE it and so will your wallet. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had everything inspected today along with flushing all of the fluids above (coolant, power steering line, and brake lines). Also did a fuel system service. They checked the differential fluid and said it was fine. Only thing that needs replaced is the air filter and then the transmission fluid should be replaced, but I was scared to do it. They said it *could* lead to slippage with it being at 200K miles. I'll wait until I have a few grand saved up before I do it to make sure if it starts slipping I can afford to fix it.

I don't know if it was a ripoff or not, but after the fuel system service there was a noticeable difference in the throttle response. Next I want to replace the plugs. Trying to decide if I just buy them and replace myself or if I go for the Livernois T460 package and give it a little more oomph. A little scared to do that due to it being a 200K mile engine.
You truck will run a long time, just keep up on scheduled maintenance and use motorcraft parts when possible. I have not heard of a fluid change leading to slippage in the trans if it was not already slipping, first time for everything though. Check out your cabin air filter, I usually have to change mine once a year.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Power steering fluid on a 3.5 Eco F150?? News to me.. Mine has that funky electronic PS system as far as I know? ;)

If the trans has never had at least a pan drop and refill in 200,000 miles, I would at least do that... Don't do a a "trans flush" or even a full fluid replace at this point.. Just introduce some fresh fluid to the mix and keep your fingers crossed.. Like was said, if the trans is already hosed, a simple 5 qt pan drop is not going to kill it unless it's already dead..

Not sure about the diff fluid being "ok"?? After 200,000 miles the rear end should have been done about 100,000 miles ago.. And then about every 50,000 miles after that..

Well, good luck with it! I only have 70,000 miles on my rig and I've done 1 trans pan drop and fill. Transfer case change (4x4), coolant drain and fill (rad only) and plan on doing the diffs in the spring (front and rear). I change the engine oil between 4-5,000 miles with Pennzoil Platinum and a MC filter.

I can only hope I get a good 200,000 miles out of it!

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too bought a high mileage f150 last year. Its a 2014 and at the time had 140,000 miles. Was a farm truck - spent most of its life on the freeway to inspect various farms for pesticide regulation or something.

Anyway outside of it being very dusty inside from farm roads, the thing drives like a dream. Previous owner had PAGES of maintenance records on it. Haven’t had any issues other than replacing the valve cover gasket a few months ago. I did some normal maintenance stuff too - trans fluid change, brakes, shocks and spark plugs. I use it to tow a 30’ travel trailer. Does pretty well for a 3.31 rear end and 33” all terrains. I also take it rock crawling believe it or not - that rear locker is awesome.

Wouldnt be worried about high mileage. Mine hasnt shown any signs of the dreaded timing chain rattle (my worst fear.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum so this is my first post. I too just bought a 2016 with 104K on the clock that was a fleet truck. It seems to have been well taken care of. The truck drives like new and everything seems to be good and tight. It does have a small oil leak on the right side of the engine toward the front. Nothing bad just a little oil present. It has the heavy tow package with 3:55 gears. I am not altogether sure what the heavy tow package means over a standard truck. Having just sold a Dodge with a Cummins 6spd this is a new experience. I know this new truck will never pull like the diesel but have to admit it is impressive for what it is. I was looking at 6.0 GM 3/4 tons but was not impressed with the performance. I figured for no more than I tow now this will do just fine.

Feel free to chime in on anything I should be aware of on the 2016 model and thanks for allowing me to be a part of this forum.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The EPAS (electric power steering system) has no fluid and has been on the F150 since 2011. If they charged for a fluid change, get your money back and never return. I would change the fluid in the differentials, transfer case, and drop the transmission pan, replace the filter and refill with the same amount of Mercon LV that came out. The 6R80 is a stout transmission, but could use a refresh after 200k miles. It will not cause harm to do a pan drop (don't have it "flushed").

1 - 20 of 22 Posts