F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost 3.5 4x4 crew cab XLT, gas gauge always reads empty or half way full. Constant fluctuations. Throwing a check engine light because of this. Truck runs and drives amazing. I was told instead of replacing sending you to try 93 only and fuel cleaners to clean unit. Has anyone had luck with this method or should I just fix it? Truck has been extremely reliable. 292,xxx miles on it now.

Attachments

·
Moderstrator
3,594 Posts
I'm thinking this isn't going to be your answer but if you wish to try cleaning things out you can simply buy something like a bottle of Chevron's Terchron cleaning product. You just add it to the tank. The additive packages are often the same across the various octane ratings for any given company, meaning 87 octane will likely have the same cleaners as 93 octane.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
4,043 Posts
If ya need a sending unit, you need a sending unit. No getting around it. Yes, it's a PITA.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Dumping magic additives in the tank will do nothing more than lighten your wallet. Be happy you've made 292K - that's honestly an exceptional life for the fuel pump, much less the sending unit. I'd drop the tank (get the fuel down low first) and replace the entire fuel pump, which should include a new screen and sending unit. It's a 2-hour, driveway/shade-tree job if you're moderately competent with basic tools.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
If ya need a sending unit, you need a sending unit. No getting around it. Yes, it's a PITA.
And at this mileage, if you haven't replaced the Fuel Pump - then get a new Fuel Pump. They OEM comes with a Sending Unit. Get it at Rock Auto.

Just make sure you get the correct version for you tank size. You have a 4x4. In that Generation, a 4x4 Ecoboost always came with the 36Gal/136Liter gas tank.

If you are not the first owner and don't know if the fuel pump was replaced. The previous owner may have installed the wrong Fuel Pump in the truck. Hence why it's only reading between empty and 1/2 full.

·
Registered
2017 F150 XLT, 3.5 ecoBoost, 4 door, Super Crew, Stock
91 Posts
292,000! Very good to hear someone getting that many miles out of an ecoboost.
I would not add any additives. Don't want to start adding things with that many miles. Could be a costly mistake.
I would replace the fuel pump and sending unit without hesitating.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
And at this mileage, if you haven't replaced the Fuel Pump - then get a new Fuel Pump. They OEM comes with a Sending Unit. Get it at Rock Auto.

Just make sure you get the correct version for you tank size. You have a 4x4. In that Generation, a 4x4 Ecoboost always came with the 36Gal/136Liter gas tank.

If you are not the first owner and don't know if the fuel pump was replaced. The previous owner may have installed the wrong Fuel Pump in the truck. Hence why it's only reading between empty and 1/2 full.
My 2011 came with 4x4 and a 26 gal tank...

·
Registered
2020 F150 XLT Sport 2.7
5 Posts
2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost 3.5 4x4 crew cab XLT, gas gauge always reads empty or half way full. Constant fluctuations. Throwing a check engine light because of this. Truck runs and drives amazing. I was told instead of replacing sending you to try 93 only and fuel cleaners to clean unit. Has anyone had luck with this method or should I just fix it? Truck has been extremely reliable. 292,xxx miles on it now.
Amsoil has a few great products that should help. https://www.amsoil.ca/p/p-i-performance-improver-gasoline-additive-api/?code=CPICN-EA

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
4,043 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts