F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the Ecoboost forums. I have a 2017 F150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5 EB 10speed 4x4 3.31. It's completely stock and has a 100k mile ford premiumcare warranty. I'm debating whether to keep it stock or to get into some mild performance modifications.

I'm thinking ams turbo inlet piping, turbo outlet adapters, and maybe an intercooler. Just enough that can be returned to stock if the truck should need to go in for a power train warranty. Also thinking about putting the 2018 turbos, any benefit vs cost?

After that I'm sure i'll need to concentrate on generating traction (trac bars, stab bar, etc). I have my own HP tuners software and I'd probably be taking it to get tuned locally in Houston (any suggestions welcome, I have my own avoid list from my GM cars)

I wanted to ask people who have the newer engines with more than 40k miles under their belts while tuned if they have experienced any problems in regards to reliability. Any blown motors? Any dead cats? Burnt trannies?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The 2018 turbos will make a big difference. The ‘17 turbos are unfortunately the same size as the ones us losers with the 1st gen trucks get.

I wouldnt do the turbo adapters unless you do the turbos. It just doesnt seem worth the hassle.

Intercooler is a great idea. Especially down in TX. Last time i was down there, i was sweating so hard at 7:30 am I couldn’t see through my safety glasses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually the stock 2017 turbos are 39.3/50.8 and the 2013-16 turbos are 36.7/50.8.

2018 are 40.75/53.4... Not sure if I'd go to the HO/raptor turbos or non HO turbos

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Actually the stock 2017 turbos are 39.3/50.8 and the 2013-16 turbos are 36.7/50.8.

2018 are 40.75/53.4... Not sure if I'd go to the HO/raptor turbos or non HO turbos
I don't believe they are. The turbo overspeed charts in the 2017 tune are nearly the same as my 2014. It shows 49 lbs/min as the upper limit on a 17 which is what the 13-16 guys get as well. It wasnt until 2018 that they bumped up to 60 lb/min.

I mean thats not bad news. It just means the 2018 turbos will be that much more awesome of an upgrade.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't believe they are. The turbo overspeed charts in the 2017 tune are nearly the same as my 2014. It shows 49 lbs/min as the upper limit on a 17 which is what the 13-16 guys get as well. It wasnt until 2018 that they bumped up to 60 lb/min.

I mean thats not bad news. It just means the 2018 turbos will be that much more awesome of an upgrade.
This doesn't agree with your numbers:

I see you also posted in that thread but part numbers don't lie, I don't care what a year-to-year calibration difference might be.

Anyways, that's fairly off topic and getting further away from my question. Thanks for your recommendation though.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

I see you also posted in that thread but part numbers don't lie, I don't care what a year-to-year calibration difference might be.

Anyways, that's fairly off topic and getting further

Anyways, that's fairly off topic and getting further away from my question. Thanks for your recommendation though.
away from my question. Thanks for your recommendation though.
I dont think the P/N's prove anything. The 2017 turbo housings are different than the 13-16 and they went to electric actuators, so of course they have a different number. They could still have the same rotating parts.

Sorry to derail, just dont want anyone getting any wrong information.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Read your warranty info carefully! I read through mine, and it stated if the PCM has been messed with, they WILL NOT honor the warranty. it was a third party warranty, and I'm sure that makes a difference, but just make sure you read that as fully as possible before you modify. I cancelled my additional warranty.

That being said, I have an 18 with 41K on it, and it's been tuned for 20k miles, using 5* E50, 91 performance, 91 performance/tow, and the adaptive tune. They have all ran for the most part perfect!

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts