F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How high of mileage are y’all at and still towing more than 5k lbs. on long trips of 500 miles or more? The reason I am asking is because this summer I will probably be towing my 6k lbs camper 2800 miles round trip and the truck just turned 170k on the clock and I am getting nervous. Your thoughts....?

·
Premium Member
8,017 Posts
That completely depends on lots of different components, some of which are related to high mileage, and others that might not. What I mean is your brakes, which are crucial when towing, might be brand new regardless of your mileage.

If it were me, I'd address all the obvious things that would come into play even if you weren't towing but intended to be a long ways from home. Breaking down is inconvenient in either case. Then I would consider the obvious things that towing the RV is harder on than running empty.

Brakes (as mentioned)
Shocks
Tires
Engine coolant system (fluid flush?)

You could also stress the truck before you leave to perhaps identify any weakness. Some backroad WOT runs perhaps?

Heck, hook up the RV and drive a couple of hours or more in lots of stop&go circumstances, since just cruising isn't going to be what strains the drivetrain.

Sent from my SM-T878U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brakes are good replaced last year with power stops and drilled slotted rotors, tires will be done before and coolant was going to be done also. I will be doing a trip in June about 800 miles round trip for a shake down

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If I had maintained that truck (I'm meticulous) then I'd hop in and send it. If I didn't feel confident in doing so, I'd take it down to the local Ford house and bring a new one home.

·
Registered
639 Posts
checking u joints is on my mind.

·
Administrator
10,754 Posts
Haha. My dad made a few trips from SC to Texas and similar trips for disaster relief in his old 95 f350. Hauling a gooseneck trailer with skid steer, lots of fuel and chainsaws, etc. It had over 400,000 miles on it. We're not sure exactly how many miles, because he busted the rear end around 350,000 miles. After the repair the odometer didn't work right. For example, on that Texas trip the odometer logged something like 200 miles. It registered over 400,000 when he sold it.

I know I know, that's not a half ton.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
545 Posts
My last 1/2 ton (not Ford) had 200K when it was totaled. It was towing 2-3K mile trips for every year owned it. The last tow trip, it had probably ~180K when we left for the trip.

My current 1/2 ton has ~102K on it now ... and I would not hesitate to take it on a trip.

Now I know my brakes/tires/engine are good. No leaks ... so that makes me comfortable.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I was towing with my 97 F150 that had some 255,000 miles on that thing when I traded it in and it was still running strong. It had the old 5.4 in it, first gen BTW and I just maintained the hell out of it by changing the ALL the fluids on it way before the manual said to and really only traded it was because I could not park it other than the street and it was always garage kept before, so I just could not do that..

Glad to hear your Eco is over 170k.. I'm only at 94k on my 13 Eco and it's doing well and I have changed all the fluids in it at least once now and having to go thru them again! I do the engine oil every 4-5k miles and have done the rad fluid (drain and fill), trans a couple of time (drain and fill), same with the rear diff and the trans case, but I have not done the front diff yet... I can't even find the front diff, so might just have that done... (I'm old and lazy, so that's not an easy part to get to for me... )

Anyway, I think that if you have done your fluid changes, I'd go for it.. Just looking forward to getting 150k without any issues!

Good luck! Mitch

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2020 F-150 STX 4x4 Supercab
47 Posts
You just never know. My neighbor tows a 5000 pound boat from St. Louis to Florida 3 to 4 times a year. He has a 2.7 eco boost with 145,000 miles on it and has never had any issues.
On the other hand, a good friend was towing his 12,000 pound 5th wheel with his f250 that had 60,000 miles when the left axle shaft came out of the rear end at 60 mph.
Surely higher mileage trucks have more potential for problems but if well maintained they generally perform well for a longer time.
It might be cheap insurance to take it to the mechanic and explain what you intend to do, and pay for a thorough mechanical inspection.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm a DYI myself and believe that oil and filters are cheap investment for the long haul. I do recommend that you be VERY careful in your gear oil selections especially.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine isn't as high a mileage as yours (80k). I am running a 2.7l 2016 Lariat screw. It has 5star tow tunes, power stop brakes, Cooper AT3's and on the last trip it ran with a CVF intercooler. I'm pulling a Grand Design trailer that weighs 6200 with a full water tank. We have taken it on trips the last 3 yrs that were 3000 miles plus. It gets somewhere between 7 to 12, mpg mostly depending on wind. Keeping your foot out if the throttle and taking your time will be a big help. One thing I did on this last trip was to install a Roadmaster spring system on the back end. It really helped with preventing wheel hop from standing stops on a grade and improved the overall ride. We are going to take it on trip from Idaho to Georgia next year and I am looking forward to it with no worries.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts