F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the EB engine, I have always been a v8 guy but decided to give the 3.5EB a shot. My dad has a 2011 and loves his.

My 2014 only has about 30K miles (I purchase dit about a month ago). I noticed on cold starts that there is a high pitch whining noise followed by a thump. As soon as the thump happens the whining stops. Any ideas? I saw on a couple forums that it may be the vacuum pump, but in 2014 the pump was switched back to a mechanical pump because of this issue. Any input would be great.

In the video you can hear the high pitch whine and the thump.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Just verified that the high pitch sound and thump is still there when A/C is off
Sounds completely normal on a cold start. The high pitch are the turbos spinning, and the thump is the BOV being actuated. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds completely normal on a cold start. The high pitch are the turbos spinning, and the thump is the BOV being actuated. Nothing to worry about.

Thanks. My Dad has a 2011 EB, and I don't hear that noise. After a little more research it looks like the BOV was changed in 2013 and this noise is quite common. It's just weird to me how high pitch the whining gets.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As Noodles has said it is normal. The loud noise is the turbos since the EBOV is open when you first start it, then the clunk is the sound of it closing. My 2014 did the same thing, I have a Turbosmart BOV now so there is no clunk when it closes, but you sure hear the turbos when its open.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts