F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Il start back a few weeks ago from the 1st time I had this issue, so a few weeks ago I was towing the same trailer with the same quads out back 4 sportsman 850's and going up 7% grade up the mountains in colorado my temps shot up to 245 so I pulled over and cooled down then made it over the pass, back then I had a full race intercooler and I thought that was just blocking my trans cooler but since I was having boost issues with the full race I sold it and picked up an afe intercooler, well this weekend I went back up the mountains with same quads and the Temps started climbing to around 235ish even 240, I don't no what the deal is, it used to pull heavier loads (9000+) up smaller grades with temps around 205ish. Anybody now what could be up? I also thought that mabe the fluid Is burned up so mabe that's one of the reasons it's not cooling anymore? Anyways I dropped my truck off at Ford this morning to do a transmission flush and see what happens. I also thought of buying an afe deeper trans pan would that help too or is it just a waste?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I think it's pretty normal until you get over 240ish. I'll look for the other threads on this (it's been heavily discussed).

I'm also looking my service manual to see if it states normal temps.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I'm having issues with an 8k TT. ...last April my truck was wrecked.
Full Race says their RADIATOR + CAC will eliminate the overheating. Now you have a radiator by them and are having issues, ....crap.
Mine Is a 2014 XLT 4X4 BOOST. Ford did the latest PCM reflash. First thing I noticed was the transmission shift points and gear selection. Transmission doesn't get hot when the temp gauge starts to climb.
Listen....I've been to Ford like 5 times for this issue. Even had a data recorder from Ford. Every single time the truck passed with flying colors?! And I was told that when you get the yellow screen,....everything is working per Ford (design) engineering- no worries?
Even though I never got the screen last year pulling...its totally fine - lol :explicit:
My next deal was to upgrade to a Full Race Radiator? Not sure now, especially since I am going to go to a 5th wheel...soon.
Ford needs to address the cooling system for a MAX TOW F150.
Have them up date your PCM. From their......no answers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the full race intercooler not radiator.
I don't know about normal since iv towed heavier and temps stay alot lower, I haven't tried locking it in a single gear but it would drop to 2nd and 3rd going up to the camp sight which is a deeper grade rpms up past 350p-4000 ish

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
It was the full race intercooler not radiator.
I don't know about normal since iv towed heavier and temps stay alot lower, I haven't tried locking it in a single gear but it would drop to 2nd and 3rd going up to the camp sight which is a deeper grade rpms up past 350p-4000 ish
I tow in the mountains all the time. The highest I have ever seen my trans temp is 213 degrees. We got back from a Glenwood Springs trip last week. I only hit 210 going west on I70 and 208 headed back to the east. All stock drivetrain and tune. I do have my trans fluid changed every 20K due to the amount of towing I do.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Ok....than as I have been told. The stock radiator is a problem. That is were I was going to upgrade to a Full Race Radiator.
Love my truck, and it's a hard decision to trade or not to trade . I'm kind of stubborn,....sooo I have this obsession to correct mechanical issues. I know that once I start on this endevior it could get costly.
When the truck is on....it's a great tow rig.
I'm a little concerned with the mpg's last go around. 6.7mpg coming down from Flagstaff?! Wasn't like that last year towing in 115°+ from Phoenix to San Diego? I was getting at least 10mph average.
I've got Loadlifter 5000's and a Hellwig on her and she tows smoothly.
To change the radiator or not to change.....($650)?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Highest I've seen my temp was ~224 going up hill punching it. I was passing a semi with tons of cars behind me and I was interested to see what the truck could do on this particular incline (Pacheco Pass). It was ~224 for about 5 mins then started going back down to my normal 206sih while towing. Hope you find a solution. I think I'll be looking into a tranny flush pretty soon.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Well,... I plan on towing at the max limits and its definitely going to be with my 14 F150 Boost.
Going to spring for the Full Race Radiator.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
...Anyways I dropped my truck off at Ford this morning to do a transmission flush and see what happens. I also thought of buying an afe deeper trans pan would that help too or is it just a waste?
Hi vic_s197,

How did things go at your dealership yesterday? How many miles are on your truck? Keep us in the loop; I'll be here if you need any assistance.

Crystal

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi vic_s197,
We're running pure stock with our Eco and pulling close to 9,000 lbs with our fiver. We do allot of camping in the mountains and travel up & down Wolf Creek, Coal Bank & Molas passes and trans temps have never gotten above 215. Coolant temps will rise to 225 ish though but quickly drop back to 200 ish. But we only have little over 25,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the transmission flushed but il prolly hook on to the trailer this weekend and see what it does then, if I can't get this figured out il prolly be stepping into an F350

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I got the transmission flushed but il prolly hook on to the trailer this weekend and see what it does then, if I can't get this figured out il prolly be stepping into an F350
When you say flushed, was it really flushed or did you just have the dealership change the fluid and filter?

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
i did not see it stated, do you have tow package?

5000lb is should be nothing to worry about.

EDIT-there is a thermal bypass in these transmissions, opens up at a certain fluid temp. Maybe that is damaged somehow or you have a damaged line somewhere? Should not see temps that high at all.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry just drained new filter and new fluid, and no it does not have tow package it does have 3.73 gears tho fx4

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Sorry just drained new filter and new fluid, and no it does not have tow package it does have 3.73 gears tho fx4
Well no wonder. You may have already stated this, but you should have much lower towing capacity without tow package.

I would seriously consider adding a aftermarket transmission fluid cooler. Even if you do not tow, this is good to have. Heat is what kills transmissions.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Transmission fluid can tolerate temperatures up to 300 F in short durations, however i wouldnt be comfortable seeing it over 250 F. That being said, as the sustained temperatures rise, the life of the fluid is shortened. So for towing, occasional spikes in temperature arent going to kill your transmission. A light foot, dropping a gear or 2, and reducing some speed on the grade will go along way to helping keep the fluid cooler while pulling the grades. Optimal life for transmission oil is maintained with fluid temperatures of 195-200 F. just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I recently towed an 11,000# toy hauler/camper, and temps got up to 230 for a short time. I managed to get 13-14mpg while towing it the 100 or so miles to camp.
On a side note, my little '98 ranger towed up to 6000lbs. I changed/flushed the fluid(myself) every 30,000. I finally lost reverse last year at a mere 385,000 miles. The trans shop commented on how clean the trans was on the inside. I had just literally wore the reverse band out. I found a sub 50k trans for $400 out of an '02 ranger, and had them install it verses spending $2500 for a rebuild. Just don't do anything your truck wasn't designed to do, and change your fluid regularly. The trans will last a long time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took the same trip up this weekend again but with one less quad and it did alot better after I put new fluid in it. From colorado up to Wyoming it would stay around 199-204 at 75 mph 5-6% grades. When I got to the 7% grades going only 35-40 mph it did get a little warm for a short period of time 10 min or so 228 was the highest I saw. Compared to 245 on the last trip. So if you have tow package what all does it come with? Bigger cooler? Gears what else? I was thinking of a deeper trans pan and cooler

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
15 Participants
TonyCO
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing