F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Looking to get into a newer Ecoboost soon and wanted to get some advise from those of you who already own. I recently came across a 2018 F-150 XLT with a 3.5 EB, with 107K miles for ~$28k. I know the used car market is absurd right now, so this is pretty much the best deal I've been able to find on a 2018+. It has most all of the features I'd want besides the HID lights and AC seats; besides that it is loaded with features! I checked the CarFax, no accidents, clean title and it has been mostly been maintained by a Ford dealership, until the last owner who took it to a Lexus dealership for oil changes and such. There doesn't look to have been any major issues reported, and nothing with cam phasers or anything. I currently drive about 15k miles a year (75% highway) and this would be my DD.

I know it's impossible to know whether or not a used vehicle will be a good purchase, but I just wanted to run it by you guys. With the amount of miles I put on, any car will get up in higher mileage quick (I bought a 5.0 Mustang with 36k about 2.5 years ago and I'm already up to 72k), but for the most part these seem to be able to handle the miles, as long as they are well taken care of.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

·
Moderstrator
1,872 Posts
Welcome! All you can do is your due diligence, check the service records, and possibly have an independent mechanic do a thorough inspection. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Welcome! It looks like the used car market is starting to cool off a bit. Maybe you can do better than 28?

If you end up purchasing the truck enjoy it! I have a '20 3.5 and love every minute in it :giggle:

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Moderstrator
1,872 Posts
I bought my 2018 Lariat 3.5L a year ago with 36K miles; almost up to 45K now. I had the cam phasers go out about 3 months into my ownership and had the pano sunroof stick open and replaced - both of these by the selling dealership. Otherwise, no issues nor problems. I've had the oil changed with the cam phaser work, as well as last week - I'm going about 4500 miles between oil changes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Copy all!

Do you guys have a good recommendation for looking for used cars? Craigslist is terrible now and autotempest pretty much only shows dealership vehicles. I'm down to using Facebook marketplace for the most part, but would like to find other options if possible.

·
Moderstrator
1,872 Posts
Actually, I like using CarFax, CarGurus and local area dealerships. It doesn't hurt to go to a dealership and get in touch with someone who can also help you find a vehicle. Build a relationship - start by letting them know you are not in a hurry and want to find the right truck. Dealerships can search inventory at other locations and find "exactly what you're looking for" easier than you or I could.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I bought my 2018 3.5 Lariat used with 56k miles. I'm up to 86k miles now. Truck has been flawless so far but I agree that it's a roll of the dice. I would want to see how often (mileage wise) the previous owners had the oil changed. Look at the receiver hitch for scratches or heavy use while towing. Is the brake fluid nice and clean looking? How many idle hours versus miles? That will indicate if it was mostly highway miles or not. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,099 Posts
Autotrader.

• Helpful
Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Depending on your area 28k for a 2018 just over 100k isn't bad. If it presents clean I'd pull the trigger on that. What is the payload rating ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts