F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, Ive got a question. My truck can tow around 11 thousand pounds. So I kept that in mind while i was buying my hitch set up. My ball mount, and pin are both rated for around 10000 lbs. And I bought a 2" ball, online, that was rated for the same. However, the shaft of the ball wont fit into the hole of the ball mount (shaft is 1 1/4" diameter). I went to the hardware store and all the balls with the 1"shaft are rated at 5000 lbs. Can those balls tow significantly more than that, or should I not go over 5000 lbs? Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hey everyone, Ive got a question. My truck can tow around 11 thousand pounds. So I kept that in mind while i was buying my hitch set up. My ball mount, and pin are both rated for around 10000 lbs. And I bought a 2" ball, online, that was rated for the same. However, the shaft of the ball wont fit into the hole of the ball mount (shaft is 1 1/4" diameter). I went to the hardware store and all the balls with the 1"shaft are rated at 5000 lbs. Can those balls tow significantly more than that, or should I not go over 5000 lbs? Thanks for your advice!
You need to get a hitch bar with the 1 1/4" hole.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
What Wayne said.

SPPD

·
Registered
868 Posts
agreed the hitch you have is not heavy enough, this is why the hole is to small for your heavy weight ball !

i am in the same boat i need a heavier ball and mount for my trailer now that this truck pulls more i will be hauling heavier loads

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it would be cheaper to just get a new ball right? Im fine that my hitch is rated at a bit lower than my truck. I wont be towing over 10k anyways

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
The poundage rating is based on the shank size of the ball. You won't find a 1" shank that will pull 10,000 you need a hitch bar that accepts the 1 1/4" shank to pul the 10,000 rating.

·
Registered
868 Posts
yes a ball is cheaper than buyin a new tow bar and if your OK with a 10,000 rating you found what you need.
if i recall my 1-7/8" ball is only rated for 5,000 lbs also but i have pushed the limit on it a couple times now and its time for me to upgrade to something i know isnt going to break on me.

·
Registered
943 Posts
yes a ball is cheaper than buyin a new tow bar and if your OK with a 10,000 rating you found what you need.
if i recall my 1-7/8" ball is only rated for 5,000 lbs also but i have pushed the limit on it a couple times now and its time for me to upgrade to something i know isnt going to break on me.
Return the hitch bar with the 1" hole and swap it for one with the 1 1/4" hole. Might have to pay a little more but, you will be good for 10,000 lb's

·
Registered
94 Posts
Also make sure the actual weight rating of the ball is printed on the ball! Walmart and other stores sell a 2 5/8" ball that has a low rating around 5000 lbs.! I also don't like balls that have chrome plating on them! It is softer and will wear through and then can cut your fingers. Remember,the weakest link will be what fails! Equalizer bars should not be much over the tongue weight or it will hurt the ride! Some RV stores will sell you bars to heavy for your trailer because that's what they have in stock!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Another consideration. If you do not have the rated equipment and you are in an accident and they inspect the equipment you can be heavily and I mean heavily fined by DOT. You may also find that if your insurance company gets wind of it they may cause you problems. I haul a lot of things, dump trailer, 8K boat etc and I always try to have equipment that is rated higher then what I need. But that is just me, I'd rather be safe then sorry.
Get the right stuff, you got a 40K truck and you want to cheap out on setting it up to tow?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts