F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I notice sometimes from a dead stop to a full WOT pull 1st gear hit rev limiter before the trans shift to 2nd for half a second so I tried adjusting the WOT 1-2 shift on the SCT x4 -2mph. Still the same. Did you guys have any problems like this before. Any thoughts how to over come it? Ps. I love stiffer/ firmer shift than most like tires chirping like a muscle car with a shift kit.

·
Administrator
7,836 Posts
Hey guys so I notice sometimes from a dead stop to a full WOT pull 1st gear hit rev limiter before the trans shift to 2nd for half a second so I tried adjusting the WOT 1-2 shift on the SCT x4 -2mph. Still the same. Did you guys have any problems like this before. Any thoughts how to over come it? Ps. I love stiffer/ firmer shift than most like tires chirping like a muscle car with a shift kit.

I let my tuner mess with stuff like that, but I thought your changed the RPM's for shifts...not MPH

·
Registered
66 Posts
You list several tuners in your sig line. Which tune is doing this? Contact that tuner for revision?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem in my 2016 F-150 2.7l EcoBoost. I have looking for an real answer which lead me to the issue but Unfortunately I haven't find any yet. My tuner, the shop and I are getting crazy with that issue. Let keep researching it bro.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You could bump the rev limiter up a bit, at least I can on a GTX tuner. My 2.7 will upshift 1-2 at 6100, rev limit set at 6200. KM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your time sharing your experience. It's very helpful.
The problem is it's hitting something at the rev limits that the engine cut down the power before it shifts even setting the shift at 5,200. It's should has something else than shift point or rev limiter reached. I have no clue. I mean it could hit the limiter and may not go forward any more, but cut the power down just because it "reach the limit"? I don't think it's normal.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I think there was a guy on the other forum fighting with his throttle body closing up during the shift which was cutting power.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have an E50 tune that started doing that when it got cold. The tune ran good when warm, but as soon as it dropped to around 50° it started closing the throttle body down like some sort of torque management was kicking in. Partial throttle it would run great, 20lbs boost, but WOT the boost was constantly going up and down in waves, TB open percentage followed right along. I never found out what was causing it, winter gas came so I switched to 91 tune. All my other tunes and even a E tune from someone else run fine. Hopefully you guys find an answer.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,017 Posts
I have an E50 tune that started doing that when it got cold. The tune ran good when warm, but as soon as it dropped to around 50° it started closing the throttle body down like some sort of torque management was kicking in. Partial throttle it would run great, 20lbs boost, but WOT the boost was constantly going up and down in waves, TB open percentage followed right along. I never found out what was causing it, winter gas came so I switched to 91 tune. All my other tunes and even a E tune from someone else run fine. Hopefully you guys find an answer.

That didn't happen to be an Unleashed tune, did it?

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,805 Posts

Probably cause when it is cold your truck is flowing a lot more air mass. In the summer my truck will only flow 35-36 lbs, in the winter I can hit 38-39 on the same tune. This is my BCB tune and it tends to push the turbos past their "limits." When it sees that colder air it will take what it can.

Maybe when your truck is able to casually hit its desired load with that nice cold air, it is having trouble throttling it(literally)

·
Registered
93 Posts
That didn't happen to be an Unleashed tune, did it?

Yes. I thought I had solved it because the air filter was really dirty, but it acted up the next morning. Then I started to examine all my logs and noticed it acted up when ambient got to around 50°. I will probably try and solve it come spring time and better fuel, but winter gas is just terrible.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Probably cause when it is cold your truck is flowing a lot more air mass. In the summer my truck will only flow 35-36 lbs, in the winter I can hit 38-39 on the same tune. This is my BCB tune and it tends to push the turbos past their "limits." When it sees that colder air it will take what it can.

Maybe when your truck is able to casually hit its desired load with that nice cold air, it is having trouble throttling it(literally)
I stumbled across a pair of low mileage 19' turbos that I'll be bolting on my 17' soon. Hopefully that'll we'll help keep things in there limits.

·
Administrator
10,017 Posts
I had an Unleashed tune revision that would do that. When holding steady throttle the engine would "surge". It could be heard and seen in the rpms.

I logged it and sent it in. I'm not sure what was going on, but when asked he what was the cause he simply said, "I tried something I am not happy with. Do no load that file again." Lol. Okay, got it!

·
Administrator
10,017 Posts
He did fix it on the next revision though. Mine was a 93 tune and I don't think it had anything to do with temperature.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think there was a guy on the other forum fighting with his throttle body closing up during the shift which was cutting power.
Not quite sure about the other thread but I added throtle position with pedal position, rpm, gear commanded, speed. It is interesting the amount the computer closes the throtle between shifts but on this log the trucked pulled hard 1st 2nd 3rd to 80MPH speed steadily rising. KM

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Not quite sure about the other thread but I added throtle position with pedal position, rpm, gear commanded, speed. It is interesting the amount the computer closes the throtle between shifts but on this log the trucked pulled hard 1st 2nd 3rd to 80MPH speed steadily rising. KM
View attachment 164388
View attachment 164388
Some of it on the ecoboost is probably to prevent a boost spike when the RPM's suddenly drop. You lose almost 2k rpm on the shift but the turbos are still spinning hard.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Yes. I thought I had solved it because the air filter was really dirty, but it acted up the next morning. Then I started to examine all my logs and noticed it acted up when ambient got to around 50°. I will probably try and solve it come spring time and better fuel, but winter gas is just terrible.

I had a tune from Torrie that also did that. It would happen at around 5,800rpm just as it was about to upshift.

I got Torrie to lower the rpms where the shift occurred down to 5,600 rpm and I never had it happen again.

Shortly after, I had it dynoed and my graph showed that after 5,600 rpm my HP would start dropping significantly. So setting my shift points to 5,600 rpm was a better match to the tune as well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Some of it on the ecoboost is probably to prevent a boost spike when the RPM's suddenly drop. You lose almost 2k rpm on the shift but the turbos are still spinning hard.
Yes sir! I drop about 1500 RPM tween 1-2, 6000 to 4500, 2-3 1600RPM drop. KM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts