F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 3.5L Screw/ Lariat sport. Seasoned camper/ trailer hauler. 30 plus years of it.
When I hooked up to my TT over the weekend. I aligned up and dropped the TT onto the ball. On level ground. Couldn't get the TT to latch. So I had my wife pull up a bit, but she couldn't get the truck from park to drive with foot on brake too. Console shifter was stuck in park. Ended up shutting the truck off and restarting it.
So here is my question. When hooking up to a trailer, do you need to shut off your truck to complete the hook up? I've never had this problem before. Or its just a ten speed tranny problem?
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I always leave mine running, but I have a 2014.

·
Registered
936 Posts
You shouldn't need to. Sounds like you didn't have the parking brake set and the trailer exerted enough load to bind up the park pawl a bit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
2018 3.5L Screw/ Lariat sport. Seasoned camper/ trailer hauler. 30 plus years of it.
When I hooked up to my TT over the weekend. I aligned up and dropped the TT onto the ball. On level ground. Couldn't get the TT to latch. So I had my wife pull up a bit, but she couldn't get the truck from park to drive with foot on brake too. Console shifter was stuck in park. Ended up shutting the truck off and restarting it.
So here is my question. When hooking up to a trailer, do you need to shut off your truck to complete the hook up? I've never had this problem before. Or its just a ten speed tranny problem?
Thanks for your input!
I had something similar happen with my 2018 3.5L SCREW/Platinum with max tow. I could not get the truck into D; the shifter would not move. We eventually stopped trying and thought about it for a while. When I returned, everthing was working normally.

I have no idea what happened. I almost never shut off the truck when I hook up 'cause I know there's going to be a little fore-and-aft adjusting, so why bother. Yes, roll forward so you can get the latch down. If that doesn't work then it's probably because the ball isn't actually in but is sitting on the latch pall. I always pull the latch fully back to (hopefully) prevent that from happening. Once was enough!

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts