F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got new to me 2012 F150 few weeks ago and getting horrible fuel mileage, 13 mpg per tank roughly. 3.5 ecco, 4x4, 3.73, 305/55/20 tires. Changed plugs and boots, installed new air filter. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
305 is a wide tire, i'm aussuming they are A/T or M/T and possibly a 10 ply tire which means they are some heavy mofo's. I went from the stock 275/55 radials to some A/T 285/55 and lost 2-3 mpg's on my 2011 fx4. I even have a canned SCT 87 tune

·
Premium Member
6,249 Posts
It's always entertaining.

Twin Turbo pick up trucks are the worst deployment of modern technology to be associated with efficiency.... as in gas mileage.

Especially the first generation of such.

We still wanna jack em up, throw fat tires, load the bed with tools and cargo, then push the brick shaped beast through the wind, all while dreaming of Toyota tea-sippin results.

Good news is that if you love everything else about the truck, you finally just let the dream go.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
839 Posts
Got new to me 2012 F150 few weeks ago and getting horrible fuel mileage, 13 mpg per tank roughly. 3.5 ecco, 4x4, 3.73, 305/55/20 tires. Changed plugs and boots, installed new air filter. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Big tires, bad gear ratio, maybe a lift too, if you do alot of 15 min or less driving, winter blend gas, all put the MPG of these trucks in the ****ter. Yea it looks cool and all, but you live with the 13mpg.

Thanks for the laugh though. It's been a week (uncharacteristically) or so since the last time someone posted a strikingly similar thread.

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts
Big tires, bad gear ratio, maybe a lift too, if you do alot of 15 min or less driving, winter blend gas, all put the MPG of these trucks in the ****ter. Yea it looks cool and all, but you live with the 13mpg.

Thanks for the laugh though. It's been a week (uncharacteristically) or so since the last time someone posted a strikingly similar thread.
No, no...thank YOU for the laugh with this response. I read the initial thread and.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just thinking that something could be wrong that I should look into, or I was hoping something wrong that could be fixed to net better mileage.

·
Premium Member
6,249 Posts
I was just thinking that something could be wrong that I should look into, or I was hoping something wrong that could be fixed to net better mileage.
No worries. You didn't do anything wrong.

Just imagine being at a party and a bunch of guys had discussed the hot topic of the day adnauseum. Then an hour later the next guy shows up and asks everyone "have you heard about....."

You just have to suffer the kidding for a minute or two.

But in short, Ecoboost trucks are less ECO and more Boost. Regardless of the hype. :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Try driving 50MPH and never exceeding 2,000RPM. Try to keep the boost gauge at zero by driving like there's an egg under the pedal. You'll probably see 16-18, maybe better.

My 2018 is currently showing 12.1MPG. Stock tires and wheels too. Maybe that'll make you feel better :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've got 3.73 gears... OEM 20" tires.. Get an average of 16 mpg on my daily commute and can get 20 mpg on the hwy if I keep it under 70 mph. (65 mph basically)..

Towing my TT, I get 10 mpg for the most part..

But, it does not lack for power or any of that stuff..

Those 305's are probably what is killing you.. Did you adjust your speedo/odo for the bigger tires? How are you computing your mpgs? My computer mpg gauge is pretty much bang on.. Only a couple of .10's off from the actual gallons of gas being put in compared to what it says I used..

Anyway, love the 3.73 gears, but yes, going over 70 mph it starts to suck the gas on the hwy.. Drops to around 17-18 mpgs..

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Administrator
7,837 Posts
Try driving 50MPH and never exceeding 2,000RPM. Try to keep the boost gauge at zero by driving like there's an egg under the pedal. You'll probably see 16-18, maybe better.

My 2018 is currently showing 12.1MPG. Stock tires and wheels too. Maybe that'll make you feel better :D
Somebody must not use his own advice then. lmao.

32134178-i-like-it-stamp.jpg

·
Registered
143 Posts
But in short, Ecoboost trucks are less ECO and more Boost. Regardless of the hype. :)

I had a female co-worker come into work one day and was like "whats up with the Ecoboost badge on your truck, there is nothing Eco about a 4 door f150 truck like yours, is that a joke" I was like your right, there is nothing eco about it, but its not joke and thats what they are called.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Somebody must not use his own advice then. lmao.
Heh, nope. Life's too short.

I had a female co-worker come into work one day and was like "whats up with the Ecoboost badge on your truck, there is nothing Eco about a 4 door f150 truck like yours, is that a joke" I was like your right, there is nothing eco about it, but its not joke and thats what they are called.
Uh-oh... did y'all let a Californian in?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just basing MPG off the trip per fill up. I have heard about changing tire size in the computer, but need to do more research. Also wondering if a tune could possibly help. If it is what it is, I'm fine with it.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
A tune will definitely help and blow out those cob webs from time to time!-IMO

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
839 Posts
Just basing MPG off the trip per fill up. I have heard about changing tire size in the computer, but need to do more research. Also wondering if a tune could possibly help. If it is what it is, I'm fine with it.
If you notice your speedo is off or incorrect, your speed will be off, your mileage traveled will be off, but your fuel usage might be a static number. The whole mileage equation would be off then. If the mileage is off, you cant even hand calculate that. I'd start with verifying that speedo. If its off, maybe your worries are not much to worry about after all.

And this is coming from someone who's speedo says 70 when he's actually doing 74. I look at my mpg and could care less. I put gas in every other week in a 36 gallon tank. It is what it is.

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts
I do know my speedo is off, when going 70, GPS on phone says i'm going 75.
That's how mine is. And using the adjusted formula for figuring out mileage, you could safely add 1.3mpg to whatever your readout is displaying and be fairly accurate. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,249 Posts
That's how mine is. And using the adjusted formula for figuring out mileage, you could safely add 1.3mpg to whatever your readout is displaying and be fairly accurate. ;)
What? You're running hooligan tires?

I always took you for being well mannered and by-the-book.

Renegade

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts
What? You're running hooligan tires?

I always took you for being well mannered and by-the-book.

Renegade

Oh, I absolutely HAD to! Look at how much better the truck appears by just changing the tire and size:

Before
[039682].jpg

and after
[028447].jpg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts