Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost,
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning folks,

I have recently discovered a boost leak in the black plastic pipe running from the driver side turbo to the intercooler. The truck started out with a little "hesitation" about 6 months ago and I spent a ton of time tracking that down and trying to fix it. Eventually gave up for it never got worse. Well, come this week and its getting worse and the truck is slightly down on power. I crawled under and popped the hood and saw only one of the silicone couplers covered in oil and dust (Not dripping wet, just nice even coverage) I checked the couplers and they seem intact but noticed that "oil spill" runs up one of the black pipes and abruptly stops about 12 inches past the coupler.

I am 99% convinced there is a crack in either of these tubes so I recognized the opportunity to swap out these tubes with something else.

I tried to put together a poll but not sure if I did it right. Please take a second to vote if you are able to do so or drop a comment if you have a better idea.

Thank you guys and gals.

·
Vendor
7,368 Posts
Good morning folks,

I have recently discovered a boost leak in the black plastic pipe running from the driver side turbo to the intercooler. The truck started out with a little "hesitation" about 6 months ago and I spent a ton of time tracking that down and trying to fix it. Eventually gave up for it never got worse. Well, come this week and its getting worse and the truck is slightly down on power. I crawled under and popped the hood and saw only one of the silicone couplers covered in oil and dust (Not dripping wet, just nice even coverage) I checked the couplers and they seem intact but noticed that "oil spill" runs up one of the black pipes and abruptly stops about 12 inches past the coupler.

I am 99% convinced there is a crack in either of these tubes so I recognized the opportunity to swap out these tubes with something else.

I tried to put together a poll but not sure if I did it right. Please take a second to vote if you are able to do so or drop a comment if you have a better idea.

Thank you guys and gals.
Go with aluminum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
I went with Mishimoto piping. They give you both Hot Side and Cold Side at a reasonable price.

It's aluminum tubing with silicon couplers.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Could not find a poll. But have concerns about aluminum for hot side, or really any intake piping. It heats up quicker and retains heat longer than plastic. I keep waiting for silicone piping to be offered as it is with other performance turbo vehicles. KM

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost,
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could I wrap the aluminum piping in exhaust heat wrap or will that cause other issues down the line?

·
Vendor
7,368 Posts
Could not find a poll. But have concerns about aluminum for hot side, or really any intake piping. It heats up quicker and retains heat longer than plastic. I keep waiting for silicone piping to be offered as it is with other performance turbo vehicles. KM
Highly suggest not worrying about that especially stock frame turbos and a intercooler worth a darn.

We run billet intake and valve covers with zero issues.

·
Vendor
7,368 Posts
Could I wrap the aluminum piping in exhaust heat wrap or will that cause other issues down the line?
Waste of time for negligible gains. Especially stock frame turbos and 500 or even 550 whp. Don’t think long termm gains are work the effort as there is no turbo near these pipes. Good intercooler such as full race will handle intake temps and we retain cold charge pipe on 1000+ whp

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
FYI, I had my Mishimoto Hardpipes ceramic coated in silver, including my GT Turbos & CRP Manifolds that I have not yet installed. But as @RMB_Ryan is stating, the actual gains I will experience is minimal. I did it for two reasons, appearance and to help cut down on underhood heat from manifolds & turbos.

PS: The Mishimoto Hardpipes will work with your Wagner Intercooler, but I believe you would need to get a 90* BOV from Turbo Smart as there are clearance issues with the Wagner and some aftermarket hardpipes. As I have not yet installed those, the clearance issue is more with the Cold Side from the CAC to the TB. I believe the Hotside part from Mishimoto hardpipes doesn't have any clearance issue, just the coldside.

As @RMB_Ryan may be suggesting, you might consider moving from the Wagner to Full-Race. I am contemplating that myself and the reason I haven't yet install anything yet.

Reactions: RMB_Ryan

·
Registered
364 Posts
Highly suggest not worrying about that especially stock frame turbos and a intercooler worth a darn.

We run billet intake and valve covers with zero issues.

Not complaining about the OEM turbos and I do use an upgraded CAC. Not looking at this as adding power but keeping temperatures managable. Aluminum does heat up faster and holds heat longer than the plastic OEM parts or silicon if that ever becomes available. Look into endurance turbo race motors you will find silicone piping. Short run and shutdown on a dragstrip is not what I was commenting about. For my purposes it is more about temperature control, on street and trail use. KM

·
Registered
364 Posts
On the hot piping that just holds the heat from the turbocharger in.
I tried insulating the intake on my 2.7. Airbox to throttle body all OEM parts. The only change came after insulating the OEM piping from the CAC to the throttle body which dropped IAT2 by a couple of degrees consistently. That was the last piece of the intake and no drops in IAT2 were logged for either the airbox or the turbo to CAC pipes. After insulating the CAC to throttle the temps dropped a consistent amount and held there with the insulation removed from the airbox the hot side pipes. I did this project in steps with a logged highway loop for each step.
An easy to duplicate test that just requires time as the insulation was leftover from HVAC work. My results on my street driven 2.7. I may not be making any more power on my tuned 2.7 but the intake temps are defiantly under control and without cost beyond a CVF Titan. That's why I'll hold out for silicone or composite tubes before spending on aluminum, then again just my own opinion. Probably could find a replacement in a used parts shop/salvage yard and apply the $$$ saved for something else on the truck. KM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts