F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've all but decided on buying a '16 F-150 XLT, SCrew, 3.5L EB, Max Tow, etc., etc. One of the things I'd love to do in the near future is buy a travel trailer. How big can I go as far as dry weight, and what's a general number for gear added on top? I'd like to get as big a one as I can, relatively speaking because I'm a big guy and 'Merica.:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
My wife and I pull a 31' overall Bullet 269RLS ultra-lite with a GVW of 7,500 lbs (around 6,600 lbs or so loaded for a trip) with a 2013 F150 Platinum Screw 3.5 EB 4x4 with 3.73 rear end and Max Tow using a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. Our F150 handles the trailer very well, with plenty of power and no sway issues in a variety of road, mountain and weather conditions. Having said that and knowing on paper, at least, according to the Ford towing guide we can tow up to 11,200 lbs, I would still prefer to have a F250 and I would not consider getting any bigger trailer, personally, unless I get at least a F250. From following several forums I know a lot of F150 owners pull bigger trailers and haven't had any problems (so far), but I believe its pushing what the F150 is designed to do and most likely putting a lot of strain and wear on their trucks, not to mention possible safety issues. It's not a matter of having enough power, because the 3.5 EB is a beast, but to me more a matter of handling a bigger trailer without safety issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
My trailer is 29' tongue to bumper and usually less than 6,500lbs loaded for camping. This truck is awesome and we have pulled some of the biggest passes around. That being said if you want to be legal you should stay lighter. If you get a truck with any options and travel with your family you will be over payload. These trucks really do a great job without question, but the reality is most trailers over 25' are probably putting the truck overweight. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
ive got a 24' carhauler weighing 10k loaded

·
Registered
291 Posts
pretty much same as above, 33' (35' including tongue), 7k # dry, 8.5k # loaded so far, no issues with towing capacity. still rocking oem brakes/rotors and stock tune. the only pic I have of the set up is pre adjustment of wdh. the difference with proper set up is the rear well fender is only .5 lower then front when hooked up. ps, do not let camping world set your wdh up! this is a pic of their work, I would have traded it in for a 350 if it actually drove like this after making final adjustments.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Max tow and heavy payload will get you a trailer around 12000 pounds. Personally I would go with a 5th wheel set up better for handling. My father in law yanks his 10000 pound dry weight trailer to Florida every spring and back to Ontario for the summer with his 14 eco max tow. Trailer is 35 feet I think.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is our rig now. Going to a 5th wheel for 2 A/Cs. Pulled it over 6000 miles May/June.

IMG_4120.JPG

·
Registered
975 Posts
You guys are towing a heck of a lot more than me, so there you go... :) You can tow whatever size and weight trailer that feels comfortable to you.. How the weights work out is only numbers and whatever feels comfortable to you...

I've towed overloaded that was just fine.. I've towed under weight that was the worst tow ever.. A lot has to do with the design of the trailer and how it's loaded.

In general, the farther back the trailer axles are from the hitch, the better it's gonna tow. But, that will also increase the tongue weight, so that's the rub there...

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are the ramifications for going over the GVWR? I tip the scales at just shy of 400# so that eats up a lot. What's the average weight of the truck? My current truck with everyone in is about 6570# leaving 300# for tongue weight figuring in 80# for a WD hitch and a GVWR of 6950. The F-150 I'm looking at has a GVWR of 7050 if I'm not mistaken, only 100# more but the truck is rated to pull over 11,000#. The GVWR is a severe limiting factor in my case isn't it?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Payload you will exceed, think the 2014 with payload package is 2300 pounds I think and the new aluminum bodies are close to 3000 pounds.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Payload you will exceed, think the 2014 with payload package is 2300 pounds I think and the new aluminum bodies are close to 3000 pounds.

Thats for the properly equipped truck. Regular cab, long bed, 2x4, 5.0L, HD payload package. In other words, not a truck anyone actually buys. A 2015+ SCrew 4x4 XLT 3.5L Max Tow, 7050# payload package will have a payload of around 1,800#. Mine is 1,745# with the above specs for reference.

These numbers are just guidelines based on extreme SAE testing. Most report that the F150 can handle more but you really don't want to do that all the time for additonal wear/tear and liability reasons. If a School Bus full of kids runs a stop sign and you t-bone them while towing overloaded, even though it's not your fault, what do to think would happen?

·
Registered
251 Posts
What are the ramifications for going over the GVWR? I tip the scales at just shy of 400# so that eats up a lot. What's the average weight of the truck? My current truck with everyone in is about 6570# leaving 300# for tongue weight figuring in 80# for a WD hitch and a GVWR of 6950. The F-150 I'm looking at has a GVWR of 7050 if I'm not mistaken, only 100# more but the truck is rated to pull over 11,000#. The GVWR is a severe limiting factor in my case isn't it?
Exactly. My truck is a max tow, rated to tow over 11,000 and the GCWR is over 17,000, but in reality that doesn't mean anything. The payload is what kills these trucks because the reality is they are 1/2 tons. My fully loaded 29' TT tips the scales at around 6,500 and I am always over on my RAWR. I have never had any issue at all. No sway, no stopping problems, etc, so I feel safe, but I know I'm over because I hit the scales. The power is unreal, especially at altitude. This truck will out pull some diesels (I've passed them going up 7-8% grades while they are blowing black smoke), but it's not about power. It's about braking, stability, and safety. I've never had a sway event, but I've been in wind that has me "white knuckling it." Just understand what this truck is (1/2 ton) and you should be fine. Everyone is towing what they want, but if everyone hit the scales reality would set in. If your truck has any options (leather, moonroof, etc) and you plan on bringing your family with you when you camp you are going to be at the limit real quick. The reality is a lot of people are way overweight. It's their call and yours as well. I would love to see a scale ticket with real numbers on some of these monster trailers. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just doesn't add up in my little brain.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Seems most people with 29+ foot trailers are way over on the rear axle allowance and payload.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You can load the trailer in a way that will help, but I'm usually about 300 lbs over payload. My trailer loaded is usually about 8500 lbs.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I towed the same #5000 TT with a 97 F150 with the 5.4 in it and it only had a #6250 GVWR.. The front Axle weight rating was more than the rear axle weight rating! (#3500/#3250).. Go figure..

When I weighed it as it rolled down the road, it was about #500 over GVWR and about #200 over the rear axle rating..

I did have some LT tires and some overload springs, but that only made it tow better... And it did tow very well.. Lacked a bit of power on the grades, but just let it go into 2nd, rev it up to around 3500 rpms and cruise at around 50 mph.. Not to the floor either..

Got some 255,000 miles out of that truck and never a problem.

Tow the same TT with my 13 F150 and it's under all of it's ratings, but only #600 under GVWR and #400 under rear axle rating.. That's with a bunch of stuff in the bed, but only 2 of us in the truck. I'm #230 and the wife is a lot less.. ;)

So, in the end, you can't go with the "tow rating" by any means.. Well, unless it's a boat that does not need that much TW..

I might have a heavier truck, but I do like my #7700 GVWR and I like a heavier truck to tow heavy with in general, so these new light weight F150's don't appeal to me at all....

Mitch

·
Registered
206 Posts
I towed the same #5000 TT with a 97 F150 with the 5.4 in it and it only had a #6250 GVWR.. The front Axle weight rating was more than the rear axle weight rating! (#3500/#3250).. Go figure..

When I weighed it as it rolled down the road, it was about #500 over GVWR and about #200 over the rear axle rating..

I did have some LT tires and some overload springs, but that only made it tow better... And it did tow very well.. Lacked a bit of power on the grades, but just let it go into 2nd, rev it up to around 3500 rpms and cruise at around 50 mph.. Not to the floor either..

Got some 255,000 miles out of that truck and never a problem.

Tow the same TT with my 13 F150 and it's under all of it's ratings, but only #600 under GVWR and #400 under rear axle rating.. That's with a bunch of stuff in the bed, but only 2 of us in the truck. I'm #230 and the wife is a lot less.. ;)

So, in the end, you can't go with the "tow rating" by any means.. Well, unless it's a boat that does not need that much TW..

I might have a heavier truck, but I do like my #7700 GVWR and I like a heavier truck to tow heavy with in general, so these new light weight F150's don't appeal to me at all....

Mitch
Funny you say that I was looking for a trailer and came by a 5th wheel weighing close to 7k dry and the owner asked me what truck do I have. Told him a 14 f150 and he said ok. I guess he towed with a steel body f150 and also the aluminum one also and didn't like it with the aluminum truck.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I could definitely see how 700 lbs less could get pushed around a little more even with a higher payload. I'd never really given that any thought before.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I can appreciate Ford being cutting edge and all with the aluminum , but why not just stick to HD axles, suspension, cooling, brakes etc...for a MAX TOW vehicle and leave at that-period.
That goes for all year F150's IMO.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
14 Participants
econewbie2013
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing