F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 F-150
The sensor that is on top/in the middle of the dash.
I can't stand that it dims the cluster lights when it gets dark. (auto-dim)
I don't like my truck doing things unless I tell it to do it!!!!
I know there has to be a trick to either disable or bypass this unwanted feature.
I tried just unplugging the sensor, but its default is to dim.

Any help is greatly appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Just turn the dash lights all the way up. Shouldn't be a difference when they are on the max setting.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just turn the dash lights all the way up. Shouldn't be a difference when they are on the max setting.
There is a big difference on my truck, I wonder if something is broke?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Does it dim them if you turn your lights on during the day or in the rain?
There may be an issue as mine are adjustable in any setting when they are on and will be just as bright if turned up.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i agree you should be able to set the brightness and it stays there / mine does and the cluster is actually brighter than it needs to be but i dont mind the blue background to it

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is bright during the day, as soon as it starts getting dark, it dims automatically. And I have my dimmer switch all the way up.

·
Registered
868 Posts
the purpose for the cluster to dim is because the sensor is seing it get dark and turns on the headlights and dims the cluster so you are not blinded it also makes it more noticable that the headlights are now on
it is not a complex switch (the light sensor) but it would involve getting to the wires
you would have to find out if it opens or closes the circuit to dim the lights and either jumper across it or disconnect it out of the circuit
i dont actually know off top of my head if the sensor is acting as NO or NC but i would guess if it were disconnected it would not be able to dim the lights anymore but the side effect of that would be the headlights would not come on and off on their own anymore either.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did disconnect it to see, it defaults to the dim state. I will look up the wire schematic this week at work, see what I can do.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Turn off your your auto lights. Manually turn them on off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts