F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a an Ecoboost 2012 F-150 Super Crew With 5.5 ft. Bed. I have studied a lot of info on payload, hitch weight, etc. I am looking at a TT less than 4800 dry weight, so I feel good on payload...however, it is like 30.5 ft long. Is this a concern?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Do you have the max tow package? What's your payload capacity? Axle ratio? Mods? Overall tire size?

All of these points will help us provide you with advise. More then likely you should be fine.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I think you will be ok at 30’ total length. The important thing is to get a nice weight Distirbution hitch, like an Equal-i-zer, that has built in sway control.

My trailer is only like 24.5’ total length but I’ve taken it through some wild conditions and never felt unsafe. Cruising at 70mph in Wyoming during 20-30 mph crosswinds and I could eat a McGriddle while driving.

·
Administrator
10,426 Posts
I'm hauling 28', it's 29.xx overall tip to tip. I'd agree 30' is a safe bet. It seems like it's more about length than weight for us. We have the torque to move the world.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you will be ok at 30’ total length. The important thing is to get a nice weight Distirbution hitch, like an Equal-i-zer, that has built in sway control.

My trailer is only like 24.5’ total length but I’ve taken it through some wild conditions and never felt unsafe. Cruising at 70mph in Wyoming during 20-30 mph crosswinds and I could eat a McGriddle while driving.
Thanks...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm hauling 28', it's 29.xx overall tip to tip. I'd agree 30' is a safe bet. It seems like it's more about length than weight for us. We have the torque to move the world.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
I’m trying to talk my self out of the 250!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have a an Ecoboost 2012 F-150 Super Crew With 5.5 ft. Bed. I have studied a lot of info on payload, hitch weight, etc. I am looking at a TT less than 4800 dry weight, so I feel good on payload...however, it is like 30.5 ft long. Is this a concern?
No

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Agree with everyone here. No problems with the weights you stated. Just keep your hitch weights down and keep TT below 7,000. Happy camping!!!!

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
185 Posts
Agree with everyone here. No problems with the weights you stated. Just keep your hitch weights down and keep TT below 7,000. Happy camping!!!!
Why below 7000 ? I can barely feel my 7500 GW TT behind me.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Why below 7000 ? I can barely feel my 7500 GW TT behind me.
Just based it in not knowing the op’s towing experience. Just a safe number to go by. It will definitely tow more👍

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just based it in not knowing the op’s towing experience. Just a safe number to go by. It will definitely tow more👍
Not much towing experience on long trailers...towed my dad’s 16 foot Shasta back in the day...had a Jayco 10 pop up for 30 years...mama wants a bathroom now to keep going with me!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
What 30ft trailer is 4800lbs dry?

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
185 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tow that exact setup and it’s absolutely a breeze but I would highly recommend the equalizer hitch!! My TT is 26’ 4880 dry and my bed is 5.5. Close to 4K miles on this setup with the longest tow from Seattle to San Fran area. Never an issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tow that exact setup and it’s absolutely a breeze but I would highly recommend the equalizer hitch!! My TT is 26’ 4880 dry and my bed is 5.5. Close to 4K miles on this setup with the longest tow from Seattle to San Fran area. Never an issue.
THANKS

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a '12 Supercab Ecoboost, with max towing package. I tow a 26' enclosed motorcycle hauler (2500 lbs dry - all aluminum) with four 900 lb bikes on board (GoldWings, Rune, Kawasaki) and a couple hundred pounds of tools. I have not had any problems except for heavy crosswinds once or twice - usually in wide-open landscapes like Iowa or Colorado. The sway control built in to the truck tow controller has been great; 70mph is no problem. Just make sure your tongue weight is proper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2.7 or 3.5? I have same specs with 3.5 and a 6 inch lift, and tow 8-9k lbs at 31 ft no problem. I do use an mpt tow tune to adjust for tires and shift points though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts