F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read thread after thread and build after build (and argument after argument) on this forum about catch-cans. Who needs them? Why? Whose is better? Etc. In all of my readings on here, I keep seeing the same big players mentioned; UPR, Full Race, and RX, but has anyone else heard of others that are good choices for our trucks that you would use? I searched and found some others and wanted to know if anyone has any insight, experience, or feedback in regards to them? Have you heard of or used any others that I have not mentioned?

Elite Engineering E2-X
JLT
Sick Speed

·
Administrator
7,862 Posts
I have heard of JLT and Sick Speed, but am not aware if they have a kit that is designed for the F150...as in, lines that are long enough with brackets and all that crap. Most people just go with the 3 that are (or were) vendors on the site.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sorry, just re-read it and did not realize what you were asking; I would go with any of them that have taken the time to research and develop the product, not sure how many companies are interested in re-inventing the wheel. I have the UPR going on mine.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I run an older Rx on the Eco, but have Elite Engineering cans on my GTO and Camaro. Their quality is very good. They cater to the Vette guys, and last time I checked, don't believe they have a specific application for the F150. They do make a dual valve can for boosted applications, but you would probably have to develop your own brackets. Their dual valve is about half the price of the Rx, UPR, and FR. If I was going to replace my Rx, it would be the EE dual valve.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Yes half the price but you still then have to source hose, check valves and the 1 off aluminum fittings like those supplied with the UPR can.

The UPR is the only one you don't need to hack up to install.

Reactions: greg hazlett

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yes half the price but you still then have to source hose, check valves and the 1 off aluminum fittings like those supplied with the UPR can.

The UPR is the only one you don't need to hack up to install.

I can buy a lot of hose and check valves for $200. And, they won't change the design every 3 months requiring more upgrades. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
You've read thread after thread after thread and the best solution was to start yet another catch can thread?

Where's the dead horse smiley?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm with the OP on this one. I read a lot of threads about this also. Mostly they are about guys pushing certain products or arguing back and forth about the need for one. Then you get the poster who bashes us new guys for continuing a post because we are still left with questions. Not to be rude, but if your tired of these threads stay out of them. There are plenty of guys on here more than willing to help.
Anyway, I too get confused when I start looking into these things. If your like me and don't have the money to throw into something like this at the moment it can be frustrating. Aside for the ones that keep being brought up here, what are others that work well (or well enough) and are a little cheaper. I understand that you get what you pay for, but what is the difference in the higher priced cans vs. the more affordable ones? What should we avoid?
Don't even get me started on the install on these things either, because I could keep this post going forever with all of the questions I can ask. Some of us on here are not as knowledgeable as the rest of you when it comes to this stuff. That in itself makes it hard to follow some of the other posts that talk about this subject.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You've read thread after thread after thread and the best solution was to start yet another catch can thread?

Where's the dead horse smiley?
Yes. Another thread that addresses different brands of catch cans for other members that are interested in catch cans but don't think that they can afford the RX, UPR, or FR. Also to educate any potential buyers in what else is out there or to warn them from buying a can that might look good but is a cheap piece of junk.
Personally, if I were to buy a can, I would spend my money on a UPR, but my thread creation is for others that might have the same question but too reluctant to ask because of negative "dead horse" responses like this. I'm here to learn and also to help others. No other reason than that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well like other people in this thread I am also pretty new to this catch can stuff and have read every thread on them to learn what I can. So Monday night I ordered the full race can. I like the fact
that I can return to stock in minutes If need be. And it does a great job. jmo. They are all a lot of money so I like all the info I can read.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Don't get offended by my comment. Sarcasm is difficult to convey across written medium.

As volatile as he was, Tracy from RX posted a lot of tech info about his catch cans. Members here and elsewhere tested his can against the competition, even placing the RX can after competitor cans and the RX can caught lots of gunk the other cans didn't catch. Tracy was very willing to share his info and another manufacturer produced a very similar can around the time Tracy went off the deep end and people got sick of his tirades. I for one will never purchase the copycat catch can because I feel it was bad business.

I'll stick a full race can on mine soon. I'm rounding up a list of parts for a big install I'm planning and a FR catch can is on that list for reasons posted in the Full Race 507 hp thread.

Reactions: phantomblackgto

·
Administrator
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't get offended by my comment. Sarcasm is difficult to convey across written medium.

I'll stick a full race can on mine soon. I'm rounding up a list of parts for a big install I'm planning and a FR catch can is on that list for reasons posted in the Full Race 507 hp thread.
You're very correct about trying to type jokes and sarcasm. It gets missed way too often and I obviously didn't read it as intended. My apologies to you. :)
As for your build list, I look forward to seeing what your labor produces.

·
Administrator
7,862 Posts
As volatile as he was, Tracy from RX posted a lot of tech info about his catch cans. Members here and elsewhere tested his can against the competition, even placing the RX can after competitor cans and the RX can caught lots of gunk the other cans didn't catch. Tracy was very willing to share his info and another manufacturer produced a very similar can around the time Tracy went off the deep end and people got sick of his tirades. I for one will never purchase the copycat catch can because I feel it was bad business.
He never did do a test of another can AFTER the RX can though, like I asked him to do.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
He never did do a test of another can AFTER the RX can though, like I asked him to do.
I don't remember if it was here or another forum where a member tested the RX can extensively. I think he may have run it before and after the other can(s) but that was a long time ago and i can't say for sure. I'm not going to search because, well, "catch can" returns 12 million results.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It was on another forum, and yes, the cans were alternated. That's when "the other vendor" began a series of numerous changes to his product that resulted in a lot of confusion and a lot of money being spent to keep up with the ongoing changes. I even have a copy of the thread where he used my idea of only using the existing barb on the driver side turbo when he ran with the idea to design his no-drill solution. Tracy was a passionate guy, and I know he upset a lot of people. But, he was always willing to help out. I spent some time on the phone with him and exchanged many an email with the guy. He didn't probably handle things in the best manor, but he had a good product, and IMO, every right to be upset. For some of the reasons mentioned here and other things that were shared with me privately, I would never support " the other vendor". And, "that's all I have to say about that". FG

·
Registered
688 Posts
JLT is real popular with the Mustang guys. But they don't make a dual valve for the f150. It goes on the passenger side/intake mani.
UPR has quickly caught and surpassed JLT and there were quite a few people with broken JLT's that were not happy.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts