F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what your experiences are. I've also heard that high octane fuel will deliver better gas mileage, but where I live, 91 - 93 is fifty cents more a gallon than 87. Hard to know if the difference is worth it for daily driving.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
You might get a little more but not muchif any, defitnatly not the .50 cents worth. I use it because it has more power and pep and not for gas mileage

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I run the higher grade most of the time. I have not seen any difference in MPG. I do feel more comfortable towing because the manual vaguely recommends it for towing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
According to this article, Ford gives these ratings on Premium

We should note Ford tells us that its power outputs improve slightly, measuring 385 horsepower and 430 pounds-feet of torque when using premium fuel, instead of the regular fuel the owner's manual recommends.

It doesn't define "premium" in an octane reading but I use 91 Chevron Supreme that is only $0.20 more per gallon and the butt dyno thinks there is more power. I can say with certainty that I get better mileage on the highway and over mountain passes than with regular though I don't notice much change in town. Recent trips from Portland to Bend and back gave me 19.7 and 19.6 in my 2013 4x4 SCrew. Past trips on 87 were in the low 18's so that is a difference. Maybe not worth the price but gas is cheap right now...I'll skimp when we're back up to $4.25 a gallon.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I can tell you that I have seen an increase in mpg's going from my 5* 87pt to the 91pt.
Like you OP....I too like to try and save a little coin on fuel.
Sooo I will run a 87pt with a bottle of Lucas 104 octane boost ...and she performs well, but here's the thing....when you factor in the cost of 87 vs 91 fuel its like maybe a .20-.30 cents difference.Than it's like $10+ or so for a bottle of octane boost, it's a wash on cost really. Unless the frickin Arabs are in a giving mood and sell a barrel of oil for less than an arm and a leg (so to speak).
But I digress.....basically run the higher octane.
Seriously though my truck gets better fuel mileage on the 91pt tune....if I keep track of what the right foot is doing!
Now sometimes in the non towing season I will run the 87pt tune and can squeak fair mpg numbers, but not like the 91.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Unless you see a 3-4 mpg increase from using the high octane fuel, then its not worth it assuming you are getting currently 15-17 mpg on average. I pay $2.25 for regular and if premium was $0.50 more it would be $2.75. That's a 22% increase. I seriously doubt you will make that up in MPG's.

Now if regular gas goes up to $5 a gallon and premium is $0.50 more then you are only taking a 10% increase and you would only need to get 1.5 mpg better. That MIGHT be possible, but still doubtful.

I run 89 octane ethanol free fuel because its not too expensive and you do definitely see an MPG increase over 87 octane fuel with ethanol.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
It's not always about getting the mpg back... I like to keep knock in check also.

Reactions: mwemaxxowner

·
Administrator
7,857 Posts
93 only costs about $10 more per tank than regular. That's 2 beers with tax at the local bar. I don't mind paying it.
I like the way you think!

It's not always about getting the mpg back... I like to keep knock in check also.
Exactly, even on my 87 octane tune for winter gas I will fill up about every 3rd tank with premium.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Doesn't matter no matter what you do to the truck torque management software wont allow it to make more than 29x WHP/36x WTQ. The truck can easily do that on 87, only time that changes is when tuned and the truck is allowed to continue advancing timing past that point.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I will never run anything less than midgrade. The gas out here is crap. But, I've never used 85. Only 91 or E30 in the eco, and occasionally 89 in the 4.0 ranger. Even with electronic redundancies in place, I don't trust running anything less than the best when my engine has high compression and turbos.

Reactions: Mr B

·
Administrator
10,657 Posts
I can tell you that I have seen an increase in mpg's going from my 5* 87pt to the 91pt.
Like you OP....I too like to try and save a little coin on fuel.
Sooo I will run a 87pt with a bottle of Lucas 104 octane boost ...and she performs well, but here's the thing....when you factor in the cost of 87 vs 91 fuel its like maybe a .20-.30 cents difference.Than it's like $10+ or so for a bottle of octane boost, it's a wash on cost really. Unless the frickin Arabs are in a giving mood and sell a barrel of oil for less than an arm and a leg (so to speak).
But I digress.....basically run the higher octane.
Seriously though my truck gets better fuel mileage on the 91pt tune....if I keep track of what the right foot is doing!
Now sometimes in the non towing season I will run the 87pt tune and can squeak fair mpg numbers, but not like the 91.

This takes me on a bit of a tangent. I'll be ordering an 87 or 91 p/t tune soon. I assumed there would be little power difference between the two, or mpg difference. I will run 91 or 93 octane normally either way. But thought it smart to use the lower octane tune. Just in case gas prices skyrocket or something. I'll have an 87 eco tune also for if I'm feeling super cheap. If that matters.

What would you recommend?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
You know....sometimes I wonder why they even do 87p / 87pt. Because they want you to use 91-93 octane when towing.
For me, the 5* 91pt tune gets great mpg's and has good power, better than my 87pt or 91p.
In the non towing season I can run around on a 87 tune, but again find myself switching to the 91pt anyway!-lol
Its all about having options.
When I compute the price difference per gallon on the 87 vs 91....it's really not worth it to me to go down to the lower octane. IMHO

1 - 20 of 37 Posts