F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
When it's a dollar a cup, and it's cold, you can't go wrong! Bahahahahaha
Oh my normal beer is a buck a cup... for a 4 oz dixie cup. :D I will admit that I have expensive taste in beer. Also I live in beer mecca. I've paid $6 for a 6 oz pour of really special stuff, and don't regret it. I may have a problem!

FWIW, I'm also a home brewer so when I drink my own IPA, stouts, etc. I'm paying less than $.75 per pint.

Back on topic, I've had my 2013 since 42k miles, and always run 91 octane. Slightly better mileage but it makes me feel a little better when I'm heavy on the throttle.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
In addition....when the CAC gets heated soaked badly towing in the summer and starts pulling timing, I want to have the higher octane /tune to compensate. Thus having a little more room on the hp/torque curve.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,652 Posts
I like pricier beers too. But I don't turn down a few dollar Busch Lights now and then :). Depends on who I'm with, what we're doing, and how many I want. Ha

Anyway, having chased that squirrel, meaz you might have made my mind up. I wanted a buffer for my daily tune in case I do run 91 octane that isn't up to snuff. I will order another round of tunes later, and probably eventually have them both in my arsenal. I'm really looking forward to the 93p tune!

Keep in mind, I was talking about running the higher octane gas in either case. Just with an ability to drop it if another Gaspocalypse happens!
Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I tend to start with the good suff.(IPA's) After several of those, or more, I'll drink PBR, or some natties. My taste buds don't know any different at that point.:cool:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Speaking of high octane... I had a 12% bourbon barrel aged wheat wine yesterday with my family. That's some potent stuff. The beer equivalent of Toluene...

Just as an experiment, I filled up my last tank with Chevron vs. Shell, and my fuel economy has spiked. The Shell station is on my way home from work and I've been filling multiple vehicles up there for years without issue. Might just be driving conditions so we'll have to see, but the truck feels peppier also. Should be 91 octane vs. the Shell station's 92 octane V-power that I usually get. I didn't look to see whether the ethanol content was different between them, will have to do so at my next fill up.

·
Administrator
10,652 Posts
Speaking of high octane... I had a 12% bourbon barrel aged wheat wine yesterday with my family. That's some potent stuff. The beer equivalent of Toluene...

Just as an experiment, I filled up my last tank with Chevron vs. Shell, and my fuel economy has spiked. The Shell station is on my way home from work and I've been filling multiple vehicles up there for years without issue. Might just be driving conditions so we'll have to see, but the truck feels peppier also. Should be 91 octane vs. the Shell station's 92 octane V-power that I usually get. I didn't look to see whether the ethanol content was different between them, will have to do so at my next fill up.
There is a local brewery that offers a 12% beer called the Problem Solver. But they lied. It has only causes them

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I had some 14% 'beer' that tasted like a combination of burnt sweet coffee and sweaty gym socks. I'll have to go to the store to find the name. I bought a bottle on a dare, and was the only one foolish enough to slam it down. It instantly makes you want to gag. I've had cheap Tequila that went down easier.:cool:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Why?

·
Administrator
10,652 Posts
I had some 14% 'beer' that tasted like a combination of burnt sweet coffee and sweaty gym socks. I'll have to go to the store to find the name. I bought a bottle on a dare, and was the only one foolish enough to slam it down. It instantly makes you want to gag. I've had cheap Tequila that went down easier.:cool:
Bout how that problem solver was! Ha

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
According to this article, Ford gives these ratings on Premium

We should note Ford tells us that its power outputs improve slightly, measuring 385 horsepower and 430 pounds-feet of torque when using premium fuel, instead of the regular fuel the owner's manual recommends.

It doesn't define "premium" in an octane reading but I use 91 Chevron Supreme that is only $0.20 more per gallon and the butt dyno thinks there is more power. I can say with certainty that I get better mileage on the highway and over mountain passes than with regular though I don't notice much change in town. Recent trips from Portland to Bend and back gave me 19.7 and 19.6 in my 2013 4x4 SCrew. Past trips on 87 were in the low 18's so that is a difference. Maybe not worth the price but gas is cheap right now...I'll skimp when we're back up to $4.25 a gallon.
Chevron Gasoline is what Ford use to use to set their mileage back in the, I believe in the 1970’s.
This is my 5th. EcoBoost & I only use 91 Octane, regardless of price.
You will get better mileage and more power. Your Truck will be less sluggish.
You can believe what you want?
It is, what it is.
If you don’t get the same results you are only fooling yourself.
Sin Loy

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,618 Posts
Chevron Gasoline is what Ford use to use to set their mileage back in the, I believe in the 1970’s.
This is my 5th. EcoBoost & I only use 91 Octane, regardless of price.
You will get better mileage and more power. Your Truck will be less sluggish.
You can believe what you want?
It is, what it is.
If you don’t get the same results you are only fooling yourself.
Sin Loy
In the ecoboosts, even better with 93 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Modinstrator
2,694 Posts
I had a Mach 1 that ran Av-Gas lean mix at 100 octane with an added can of octane booster and a can of STP oil treatment mixed in to a tank of fuel. It checked out at about 105 octane and that’s what it took to keep a 13:1 compression ratio Cleveland happy. Nitrous helped keep intake temps down a bit but also used a cool can at the track. We’d run real race gas when at the track but just to darn expensive when on the street.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I wish they had 93 Octane around here?
My 1967 Fairlane GTA 390 4V. Had to use 98 Octane.
One thing I have recently been doing is experimenting mixing E85 (actually E65 measured) with my truck.

We have gas rated 94, but it has no ethanol and doesn't work any better than the Shell 91 (also no ethanol). In fact, a number of guys prefer Shell 91 over the Chevron 94, saying the Shell 91 performs more consistently.

But mixing E85 (found a station, but it's still far) to only E21 made a WORLD of difference in my truck's performance. Not only did mixing it with E85 increase the octane to more than anything I can find; it also put the ethanol to a 21% level and help with cooling the combustion chamber.

I plan to have my truck re-dyno'd next Spring and see what E21 can do over burning the gas I used last time (Chevron 94 ... but it's really just 91.1).

If there is ever a E85 gas station in my town, I will run straight E85 (or whatever it measures out to become).

Reactions: SrpRacing
21 - 37 of 37 Posts