F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I’m not exactly sure how to figure it out, so I the GVWR is 6500 lb, so I subtract the payload right? And that’s the weight of the truck?
Font Material property Rectangle Fixture Label

Weight it, surprise follows! You can bend your head around the factory ratings but a Cat scale will give you a solid result. KM

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Weight it, surprise follows! You can bend your head around the factory ratings but a Cat scale will give you a solid result. KM
Yeah I just don’t know where to weigh it. If my calculation is correct I’m sub 5000 lbs. like 4900 without me in it.

"Cat" scale are dotted all over interstate highways. My closest cost $12 to scale. KM

Reactions: boostkingMatt
Just in case someone needs to know:

CAT Scales locator site: CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale
CAT Scales locations; download as of 05122022 attached (small print 24 page PDF)

Attachments

Yeah I just don’t know where to weigh it. If my calculation is correct I’m sub 5000 lbs. like 4900 without me in it.
My 2013 with that kind of calculation puts my 4x4 screw XLT at 5829 without me in it. I guess the 3.5 and steel body adds a lot of weight. I’m going to have to put my truck on a 91 Octane diet to get it to feel lighter.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
My 2013 with that kind of calculation puts my 4x4 screw XLT at 5829 without me in it. I guess the 3.5 and steel body adds a lot of weight. I’m going to have to put my truck on a 91 Octane diet to get it to feel lighter.
I’m pretty sure the difference between the newer 3.5s and 2.7 is like 500lbs give or take.

That’s what I like about the 2.7 a lot. It feels so light and nimble. then when I drive my moms 3.5L it just feels slightly sluggish in terms of light throttle and how much rpm it gives.
now, if you get on it, it pulls, but it seems to have that power delay compared to the 2.7.

And something about the tune and the engine design makes it was to rev up in rpm much faster than the 3.5L. And I’ve heard people say it’s the size of the turbos. 2.7 has smaller turbos thus less turbo lag and wants to rev up faster. Not true, at least in my experience. My 2.7 still revs up fast, but has a slight torque delay because of the big turbos, but it still revs up quickly nonetheless. The 3.5 still has that engine rpm delay in my opinion. It has something to do with the design, maybe someone here knows exactly what im talking about.

Geez that was long winded.

Have you driven a well tuned 3.5?
Don't get me wrong. I love the 2.7 and pulled my toy hauler all over America with that drivetrain. Incredible truck. Still have 2 of them in the family fleet.
But a well tuned 3.5, at least Gen2 as far as my experience, doesn't have a perceptible lag. It's frisky and ready at an instant. Of course that's assuming you aren't cruising at lug rpms.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Have you driven a well tuned 3.5?
Don't get me wrong. I love the 2.7 and pulled my toy hauler all over America with that drivetrain. Incredible truck. Still have 2 of them in the family fleet.
But a well tuned 3.5, at least Gen2 as far as my experience, doesn't have a perceptible lag. It's frisky and ready at an instant. Of course that's assuming you aren't cruising at lug rpms.
No I have not driven a well tuned 3.5. I’m comparing my moms stock 3.5L to when my 2.7 was stock.
Tuned versus tuned would be interesting. It would be cool to grab a 3.5 tuned and a 2.7 tuned, both making very similar power and torque and take each for a test drive.

I guess I should ask you the same question. Have you driven a well tuned 2.7? Especially with larger turbos? 😁

But what I’m talking about snakebitten, is the engine design of the 2.7. I guess for this instance it would be best to compare a 2.7 6spd to a 3.5 with a 6 spd. The 2.7 just feels more rambunctious.

My truck empty(no one and nothing in it) with a full tank of fuel. This was only 20 lbs off from the payload sticker(GVWR = 7700 lbs and payload sticker says 1539 lbs.)

So i would guess your gvwr minus your payload sticker is pretty close

Reactions: boostkingMatt
Might be able to weigh at scrap yards or dumps if some are closer than a cat scale? Not as precise though I don’t think.

No idea what mine woulda weighed stock. Sticker math says 5,353.

But in daily trim, which is what is actually useful to know for the real world, I am 5,650 lbs full of gas but empty of humans.

Junk, child seats, bed mats, ties and covers seems to add up quick. Oh and the sunglasses in the overhead storage.

So I know my payload is 300 less than sticker says, but 1,300 still works for me.

Might be able to weigh at scrap yards or dumps if some are closer than a cat scale? Not as precise though I don’t think.

No idea what mine woulda weighed stock. Sticker math says 5,353.

But in daily trim, which is what is actually useful to know for the real world, I am 5,650 lbs full of gas but empty of humans.

Junk, child seats, bed mats, ties and covers seems to add up quick. Oh and the sunglasses in the overhead storage.

So I know my payload is 300 less than sticker says, but 1,300 still works for me.
Attached is the scaled weight of my PB (6600#). This weight includes the added Undercover tonneau and Bed Rug bed liner, everything needed for towing, including the hitch and bars, full tank of gas, and both my wife and I. The GVWR is 7350#.

Font Material property Poster Parallel Paper

This weight ticket is with trailer hitched but with the WDH bars connected.

The last weight ticket is with the WDH connected.

The first weight was $12.50. The two subsequent re-weighs were $3.00 each.

Attachments

May as well add mine for comparison sake. I know it's a RCSB 2WD XL, but it does not hurt to know the extreams.
Font Ticket Number Electric blue Monochrome
Rectangle Font Signage Ticket Advertising

Handwriting Font Carnivore Cat Paper

Compared to mass-hole mine is 1000 lighter on the front and 800 on the rear.

On the 2.7 compared to 3.5 remember the 2.7 is only offered on the lightest version fewer base options, 3.5 on upper gade versions adding more options and weight. KM

Attached is the scaled weight of my PB (6600#). This weight includes the added Undercover tonneau and Bed Rug bed liner, everything needed for towing, including the hitch and bars, full tank of gas, and both my wife and I. The GVWR is 7350#.

View attachment 178365

This weight ticket is with trailer hitched but with the WDH bars connected.
View attachment 178366
The last weight ticket is with the WDH connected.
View attachment 178367

The first weight was $12.50. The two subsequent re-weighs were $3.00 each.
I witnessed the very granular effort that you made including the multiple mental calculations going through your head before the truck was even built.
In other words, those scale tickets didn't happen by chance. Instead they are a reward of careful planning. Earned!

Discussion starter · #18 ·
May as well add mine for comparison sake. I know it's a RCSB 2WD XL, but it does not hurt to know the extreams.
View attachment 178368 View attachment 178371
View attachment 178370
Compared to mass-hole mine is 1000 lighter on the front and 800 on the rear.

On the 2.7 compared to 3.5 remember the 2.7 is only offered on the lightest version fewer base options, 3.5 on upper gade versions adding more options and weight. KM
Yeah so my truck is about 500lbs heavier, but I have 4x4, and supercrew.

And to get into a 3.5 you need to go up to a Lariat and more base options. Your truck will be lighter than a similarly optioned Lariat and 3.5, most of the weight is from options included. KM

And to get into a 3.5 you need to go up to a Lariat and more base options. Your truck will be lighter than a similarly optioned Lariat and 3.5, most of the weight is from options included. KM
No you dont. You can get a 3.5 in any trim. The only thing you cannot get the 3.5 in is an RCSB

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.