F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab 3.5L Ecoboost
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Have a 2018 F150 3.5L EcoBoost. I am looking to Lift the truck and have a few concerns. I have 2 younger kids and want to make sure they can still get in/out of the truck(car pool line). Am debating the 4" lift on 35's, or a 6" on 37's. does anyone have advice? Or even better a height to certain points on truck with these set ups?

Thanks in advance!

·
Moderstrator
1,872 Posts
Don’t forget they have to be able to reach the door handle first if you’re just pulling up to load them in.
My 4 year old boy can climb in and out my 2018 4x4 stock height, 20” rims no problem. But he cannot open door from outside, nor can he pull it shut safely once inside (before being seated). He tries. Just can’t do it yet.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
529 Posts
My newly-3 year scrambles up to my stock height truck with 34.3" tires like squirrel up a fence.

A way of saying that depending on the configuration of both your kids and your truck, heights and ease of entry may vary. I'd imagine that anything over a level kit would slow down all but the longest of leg.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
529 Posts
Not sure about where you live, but your boy might need special permits for a double tow!

We don't actually ever really change, do we?

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,586 Posts
I rigged up a little paracord rope for my daughter who was 4 when I first lifted my truck, she was able to use it and climb in, worked pretty well. Then eventually I swapped out my factory runningboards with amped power steps and that was a world of difference, she’s been able to climb in and out of the truck no problem by herself. Now that she is six I think either way she would have no problem getting in and out.

That was something I was never really concerned with though I was more concerned about wanting to run 35 inch tires but having enough flex/clearance at full flex off-road without touching my crash bars as far as removing or trimming and minimal trimming if any anywhere else.
Mission accomplished, 6 inch lift, 35/12.5/18 tires +1 offset wheels, zero trimming of anything needed.
So damn happy I decided 6 inch over 4 inch because I did go back-and-forth before pulling the trigger on which one I should do.

I do feel though in my personal opinion the 6.5 foot bed crew cab with anything less than a 6 inch just looks like a leveling kit to me. The 5.5 foot bed I think looks like more of a difference between leveling kit and 4 inch lift.

·
Registered
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab 3.5L Ecoboost
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I rigged up a little paracord rope for my daughter who was 4 when I first lifted my truck, she was able to use it and climb in, worked pretty well. Then eventually I swapped out my factory runningboards with amped power steps and that was a world of difference, she’s been able to climb in and out of the truck no problem by herself. Now that she is six I think either way she would have no problem getting in and out.

That was something I was never really concerned with though I was more concerned about wanting to run 35 inch tires but having enough flex/clearance at full flex off-road without touching my crash bars as far as removing or trimming and minimal trimming if any anywhere else.
Mission accomplished, 6 inch lift, 35/12.5/18 tires +1 offset wheels, zero trimming of anything needed.
So damn happy I decided 6 inch over 4 inch because I did go back-and-forth before pulling the trigger on which one I should do.

I do feel though in my personal opinion the 6.5 foot bed crew cab with anything less than a 6 inch just looks like a leveling kit to me. The 5.5 foot bed I think looks like more of a difference between leveling kit and 4 inch lift.

Awesome. Thank you for the input. So would you say that 6" lift is too big for a 5.5' bed?

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,586 Posts
Awesome. Thank you for the input. So would you say that 6" lift is too big for a 5.5' bed?
Most definitely not.
If I had a 5.5 foot bed crew cab it would also be riding on a 6 inch lift.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like my 4" lift. I originally did it because I was living in Charlotte and wanted to get in to parking garages. There were still a couple I couldn't make it in with the 4". I have 35x12.5r20s on 20x10 with I think a -24 offset, I cant remember. Been this way for 4 years and I still occasionally need to trim something I hit at a weird angle, in reverse, at precisely 11mph, or something like that. Took my crash bars completely out, a ton off the front valence, a little off the bumper, rounded the bottom of the wheel wells behind the tires....way more than I expected. My dog can still jump in but not for much longer since he's going on 10, a healthy 10 tho. Occasionally I have to help an older passenger get in and my dad complains everytime he rides, lol. I would do it the same way again tho, wouldn't go bigger than 4 on a daily driver that I commute with and take customers to lunch in. Having said that, a 6" probably would have been less work on my end. There's a good chance I put the 6" coilovers and 2 more inches of rear block when my new truck comes in, we'll see

·
Registered
181 Posts
@Lift&Boost keep in mind, 37s will also have an impact on overall height. going from stock to 37s and a 6" is going to put your running boards like 8-9" higher. 37s are honestly completely impractical on anything that spends most of it's time on the asphalt (same can probably be said for 35s), but man, cosmetically, I drool every time I see a set of 37s on an f150. you will hate them, you will love them, both will be true!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts