F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Howdy!

Now I could be wrong (been there before) but I'm pretty sure those coefficients don't play a big factor in the airflow calculation as a whole. In other words I don't believe they impact the "AIRFLOW #/MIN" in your datalog because this is a speed density vehicle, and really all the PCM needs to figure out airflow pretty closely, is manifold volume, manifold pressure, engine displacement, and some data on the engine flow characteristics (basically the quadratics in the speed density section of your tune).

My best estimation for the coefficients you posted is to estimate turbo temperature and efficiency as a whole. Things like estimated turbine speed, temperature, etc. The reason I believe this comes from the fact that we have some people out there running HUGE turbos on these 2.3 and 2.0 Focus and Mustang cars and I guarantee that information (coefficients) are left stock. The PCM probably uses it for something, but I don't think it's critical. On the other hand, if you have something like Ryan with 17+ Turbos, and can copy the data from that vehicle, it wont hurt at all.

Also, when calculating your hp using airflow, try to pick a part of the log where you don't have a spike, like often occurs when the throttle closes on a shift. Your 58 spike is probably more like 54#.

Most GT's I do at good elevation will get around 50-54#'s at about 19-20 psi depending on mods.
Sure they are not necessary. But if you have a known compressor with known coefficients, why not use em. They wont hurt and the worst case is it will improve the compressor outlet temp calcs.

Reactions: Boostking

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,901 Posts
Wish I had a better understanding of "the database", what I call a bunch of relational tables.

This isn't the first time that tables with values were discussed and the table values didn't seem to have near the influence that I would assume.

From a software point of view, it just seems strange that tables would exist and be coded with understandable values, yet not come into play from all appearances.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Wish I had a better understanding of "the database", what I call a bunch of relational tables.

This isn't the first time that tables with values were discussed and the table values didn't seem to have near the influence that I would assume.

From a software point of view, it just seems strange that tables would exist and be coded with understandable values, yet not come into play from all appearances.
It's far more nuanced than you may think. There are things that you would blatantly expect to do something and they don't, and then there are things that you see and you're like yeah I should change that, and it screws it all up. Like one that comes to mind is the Max Load Seen By Engine. In old Mustangs, you need to raise this when boosted so not to clip. On EcoBoost, it's set to 1.0. STOCK EcoBoost make more than 1.0. If you change it, suddenly your fueling and idle and torque are all off.....

I will say most of it is kind of straight forward, but the other crap was probably written on a Friday by the apprentice.

And @mass-hole - I agree, if you have it, use it. But when you don't, then what? EFR's come to mind...

·
Registered
12’ f150 fx2
14 Posts
I haven’t been on the Dyno since Matt fixed the throttle closures. However I’m getting 56#/min and 12-13.75* timing on 93 octane with methanol injection. I’m running garrett powermax turbos. I don’t have a dragy, but videoing pulls i consistently get 4ish sec 0-60. I’ll get her on the Dyno soon when I get my xdi pump.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
It's far more nuanced than you may think. There are things that you would blatantly expect to do something and they don't, and then there are things that you see and you're like yeah I should change that, and it screws it all up. Like one that comes to mind is the Max Load Seen By Engine. In old Mustangs, you need to raise this when boosted so not to clip. On EcoBoost, it's set to 1.0. STOCK EcoBoost make more than 1.0. If you change it, suddenly your fueling and idle and torque are all off.....

I will say most of it is kind of straight forward, but the other crap was probably written on a Friday by the apprentice.

And @mass-hole - I agree, if you have it, use it. But when you don't, then what? EFR's come to mind...
So what happens when you start changing turbines? That doesnt throw things off?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Old thread, but i figured it was was relevant. Is there a general consensus on what a safe RWHP level is? 450, 475, 500. Im sure alot of early motors failed due to poor tuning, but I would think that has been resolved mostly now. I think I seen someone i the last year break rods at est 500 rwhp. Are the gen2 blocks capable of more power? Again im speaking about reliable power. Not the guy sending it for a dyno or drag time.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,693 Posts
However much they gave me and it seems to be plenty and it never overheats !

Reactions: Tim_M

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
I'm guessing it's however much Torque they gave you that seems to be plenty?

And I completely understand. :)

Admittedly I was tuned on the 18 for much of its time in my possession. So I can't claim to have not wanted "more" of something. Lol

But that truck, as well as the current one, COMES with intoxicating torque, regardless of the RWHP "number".

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
564 Posts
Im making alot more than they originally gave me and mine has never over heated. And I tow a heavy travel trailer all over during the hot summer months. So im not sure what your point is?

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Im making alot more than they originally gave me and mine has never over heated. And I tow a heavy travel trailer all over during the hot summer months. So im not sure what your point is?
Awwww. Sure you do. :)
But I don't think he was saying that overheating is only for the tuned. It just comes across that way if you read between the lines.

I personally believe that the 3.5 Ecoboost is capable of generating more heat than it can shed. Tuned or untuned. But only a small percentage of owners have the opportunity to operate the truck at those parameters.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yea, i havent had any heat issues towing 323 BHDS camper, that weighs around 9000 loaded. Been through the ozark mountains on 100 degree days without issue. I do have a larger intercooler that i think really does help though. I have seen trans temps get warm, 220 ish, so i suppose thats an issue, but never had a coolant issue.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
I don't think 220 is an issue with the modern fluid used in the 10r80 & 6R80.

If 220 IS a problem, then Ford would have our tyranny operating very close to the threshold even when running around fetching groceries. :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
mines normally runs right at 200 when not towing.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Mine does as well. I just don't think 20F more than normal is dangerous or damaging. But then I'm NOT someone who will be leaving the fluid in the transmission more than 36,000 miles, regardless of manufacturer claims.

Just as I have done with previous trucks, the factory lubricants in the differentials, transfer case, transmission, brakes, radiators..... They will all get fresh fluids while the existing fluids are still in excellent condition. That's the point, in fact.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Yea, i havent had any heat issues towing 323 BHDS camper, that weighs around 9000 loaded. Been through the ozark mountains on 100 degree days without issue. I do have a larger intercooler that i think really does help though. I have seen trans temps get warm, 220 ish, so i suppose thats an issue, but never had a coolant issue.
Awww, cute, the Ozarks. :ROFLMAO:

JK, just grinding your gears.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
564 Posts
yea, i hear you. here in iowa, theres no hills. So the ozarks is about the most i can brag about. That being said most of the country isnt mountains.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
yea, i hear you. here in iowa, theres no hills. So the ozarks is about the most i can brag about. That being said most of the country isnt mountains.
Which is why most ecoboosters don't have issues with cooling. But I can say with a decent amount of certainty that every ecobooster I have ever talked to from Utah has issues with cooling. We have 3 or 4 right on this site and every single one of us has had problems.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Old thread, but i figured it was was relevant. Is there a general consensus on what a safe RWHP level is? 450, 475, 500. Im sure alot of early motors failed due to poor tuning, but I would think that has been resolved mostly now. I think I seen someone i the last year break rods at est 500 rwhp. Are the gen2 blocks capable of more power? Again im speaking about reliable power. Not the guy sending it for a dyno or drag time.
Except than I now running E30 (though tuned at E20 Level) for the last year; my setup has been pretty much the same since 2014 when all the mods were installed.

For those with Tapatalk and cannot read my signature, it's 372RWHP/567RWTQ. With E20 tune, I might be closer to 400RWHP. Would need to re-dyno to be sure.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Here's my little fella

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
It’s crazy but not sure if I’ve ever noticed it before on these trucks but when it shifts the speedo just stops almost seems to go backwards lol… (optical illusion) but for trucks these gen1’s can still haul the mail I’ve caught many sports/muscle cars off guard …

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Which is why most ecoboosters don't have issues with cooling. But I can say with a decent amount of certainty that every ecobooster I have ever talked to from Utah has issues with cooling. We have 3 or 4 right on this site and every single one of us has had problems.
That’s what huge IC & radiators are for :) but you’d think with how loud our fans are as if a jet is taking off, we would be able to provide cooling for the cars driving next to us as well…

41 - 60 of 61 Posts