F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that don’t know, the 2015+ model year F150’s have incorporated a cabin filter unlike the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gen Ecoboost trucks. Here are some instructions to removal and installation along with some videos in case you are more of a visual learner.

Parts:
New cabin filter (Motorcraft FP-79; or equivalent)
7mm socket
Socket wrench
Trim removal tools (optional but helpful)

Removal and installation of glove box and trim pieces may be different because of model year and/or trim package.

1 Disconnect damper piece on the right side of the glove box by sliding it forward then pulling it out from the side of glove box

2 Find the tab on each side of the glove box and push in simultaneously on both tabs to drop the glove box

3 Pull out and down on the rubber trim piece located above the glove box pocket (For XLT and lower models)

3.1 For Lariat and up trim models, follow these steps:

3.2 Insert the tool with the split end in the middle of the wood trim piece

3.3 Pry down on the tool with the split end and insert in trim removal tool with a 90° hook/bend.

3.4 While prying down with the split end tool, slide the hook tool to the far right of the trim piece and pull towards you. Do this all the way from right to left for the whole trim piece.

4. Remove two 7mm bolts exposed on the door pocket tabs

5. Grasp the bottom front of the glove box pocket and work it out straight out

6. Disconnect glove box sensor plug on the left side of the glove box pocket

7. Pull two tabs on the side of the honeycomb door panel off then swivel the door down to remove it.

8. Remove old cabin filter and replace with new, ensuring the air flow arrow is pointed down

9. Repeat steps in reverse order to put everything back together.

Here is a cabin filter with 12K miles on it from a non-smoker.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Thanks miles!

But you do realize that now you've simply increased your own torture for every future thread started that even remotely has anything to do with the interior cabin filter?

Still, the current membership is grateful. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
509 Posts
That's pretty dirty for 12,000 miles. Where do you live?
I have 30,000km on myboriginal filter so I may change mine this summer

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,073 Posts
This is a pretty valuable write-up with included video/s......but it ticks me off so bad since it flaunts that the 2015+ have a filter and mine doesn't!!!! :mad::mad::mad:
That is my biggest gripe about the 09-14 models lack of an in-cabin air filter.

Then again, if that's my biggest gripe about my truck, then life is still pretty awesome! LOL

·
Administrator
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's pretty dirty for 12,000 miles. Where do you live?
I have 30,000km on myboriginal filter so I may change mine this summer

Not my filter, I found it on another thread I was reading about.

I plan on changing mine soon and I have just under 12K miles on my truck. I will post it up here when I do.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Not my filter, I found it on another thread I was reading about.

I plan on changing mine soon and I have just under 12K miles on my truck. I will post it up here when I do.
Ok cool thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's a great post thank's for sharing, unfortunately i had to learn the hard way last year when i replaced mine the only good thing is that i got the o.e. parts for $19.00 bucks my friend told me about this website now i use them for everything I need. check out this link for next time you need one. https://www.fordpartsprime.com/oem/ford-cabin_air_filter-fl3z19n619a.html?Make=Ford&Model=F-150&Year=2016&Submodel=&Filter=(Limited,6+Cyl+3.5+L+GAS) I like helping also thanks again for great post.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Miles

Thank you for the thread. I'm rather surprised there is so much required to change a filter.

On other cars it's a 2- 3 minute task.

Then again changing headlight bulbs on Gen2 could be a lot simpler.

·
Administrator
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Miles

Thank you for the thread. I'm rather surprised there is so much required to change a filter.

If you have an XLT or lower trim, it is all of a 15 minute job (at max).

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Miles

Headlights on 15 plus are dumb, bolts in the fender well, taking the front apart etc. 14 and older, it is 3 bolts exposed, you can have both entire housings out in 5min....like evry other ford I have.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My first one was around 30k, second one I did 11 months later. I am rarely at my farm with the truck due to work, but I drive thru several construction zone on the way to work.

I might start changing it twice a year since I am affected by allergies. It’s easy in the XLT and lower models because of the rubber trim.

It could have been easier if Ford would have done something to lower the filter box or even angle it downward. I’m not complaining though, my 2010 work truck doesn’t have a filter at all. I can tell the difference due to my allergies.

·
Administrator
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It could have been easier if Ford would have done something to lower the filter box or even angle it downward.
They didn't do this so either;
1) The owner has to take it to the Ford Dealership and get charged for an hour of labor and a $25 dollar filter; or
2) The owner's A/C unit isn't blowing hot or cold air anymore due to the filter being clogged so they take the truck to the dealership and they get charged an hour of labor and a $25 dollar labor and an A/C recharge.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
13 Participants
Alex Moroz
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing