F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOTE: This modification is only to be used on 2015 and up F150’s with Halogen headlight housings due to the arrangement of the headlights; please do not attempt this in your 2009-2014 F150.

These trucks use an H11 bulb for low beam, 9005 for high beam & a 9140 for fogs. With a little modifying to the new high & low beam bulbs, you'll have double the light output from OEM replacement bulbs without the fear of blinding oncoming drivers due to scattering light. The stock high beam bulb (9005) will plug directly into the fog light housings with no modifications needed. The bulbs you purchase will need to be modified slightly by shaving/cutting/grinding material off the locking tabs. The Subaru world has been doing this for years so if you need a better walk-through than the one provided, visit one of their forum sites.

Bulb Replacement:
Replace your H11 low beam with a H9 bulb; replace your high beam 9005 with a 9011; replace your fog light 9140 with your stock 9005 high beam. Here's why:

Low Beam:
Stock H11 = 1,350 Lumens
Replacement H9 = 2,100 Lumens
High Beam:
Stock 9005 = 1,700 Lumens
Replacement 9011 = 2,350 Lumens
Fog Lights:
Stock 9140 = 600 Lumens
Replace with your stock 9005 high beam bulbs = 1,700 Lumens

These are all basic OEM replacement bulbs by Philips. You can pick them up off of Amazon for about $50-$60 (I picked my set of new low beam and high beam bulbs for $36.58 from Amazon).

Links:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YMPN3A/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480J5CW/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The difference in light output is day & night, pun intended. You are going from 3,050 total lumen output on high beam to 4,450. Low beam output goes from 1,950 to 3,800, which is more than your stock high beam output. I've been running my new set up for over a month now with no problems. The best I can describe this mod is that the low beams and high beams are improved with crisp cutoff lines and are excellent for in town driving and the best part is that you get the same light dispersed evenly, just brighter.

**Disclaimer** - Some people have reported that their fog light housings have melted or yellowed due to the additional heat given off by the 9005 bulb compared to the 9140 bulb. You could always upgrade from a 9140 to a 9145 if you wanted for the fogs for a slight increase in output.

The older F150's with the rectangle fog lights (prior to 2009) could use the 9005 bulbs with no issues. When Ford switched to round fogs (2009-2014), the housings would melt and/or deform when using 9005 bulbs. This was most likely due to how close the bulbs say from the clear lens. Now that the housing is rectangular again they may not be as many issues as with the prior Gen F150; but again, perform this modification at your own risk.

I would recommend keeping an extra H9 bulb (ready to install) close by as the H9 bulbs have a relatively shorter rated lifespan, which is the trade-off for higher lumen output.

The 2015 F150 Headlight housing has bulb caps in front of the low beam bulb, which means the low beam pattern is the exact same with the new bulbs as it was stock, with the only difference a longer, more intense beam pattern. The oncoming traffic is NOT affected by this bulb mod whatsoever.

From an electrical and wiring standpoint, there *shouldn’t* be any issues due to only a jump of 10W (65W vs 55W), which is approximately a 1A difference.

How To Modify New Bulbs:
I personally used a dremel with a high speed cutter (Model #190) as well as a diamond wheel point (Model #7123) along with a pair of tin snips, dikes/side cutters, and needle nose pliers. Some others have used a sharp exacto knife but I was unable to get that to work. It took me a total of about 25 minutes to do all 4 bulbs.

NOTE: Avoid touching the bulb glass with your fingers as the oils in your hands will decrease the life span of the bulbs. Wear rubber/latex gloves if you must.

H9 Bulb Conversion:
On the edge of the plastic bulb housing you will see a wide metal tab on the base, this tab needs to be trimmed down a bit to make it go into the headlight housing easier. This does not need to be trimmed to exacting measurements, just trim off enough so you can get it past the slot on the headlight housing. Ensure there are no burrs left over if you used tin snips/side cutters. It does not have to be perfect or neat either because it does nothing as far as securing the bulb to the housing goes.

On the inside of the plug end you will see that there is an extra plastic tab towards the top of the plug, this needs to go or else you won't be able to push the factory plug on. You need to get this as flat as possible and as far down as possible into the inner surface of the plug.

Close up view in case you guys can't see exactly what's going on from the pictures above.

9011 Bulb Conversion:
On the edge of the plastic bulb housing on the opposite side of the connector you will see a lock tab that is the same dimensions as the other two. This “top” lock tab needs to be trimmed down in order to fit into the housing. This tab needs to be a little more precise as it aids in locking the bulb into the headlight housing. Take too little off of the lock tab and you won’t be able to get the bulb into the housing all the way. Take too much off and the light output may ‘bounce’ around.

Bulb Installation:
Instructions on how to change/install new bulbs is located in the owner’s manual. I recommend pulling the wheels off if you are able to, it makes pulling the splash shield back much easier which will give your arms more room behind the housings. I was unable to pull the wheels off the truck and if you are husky (like me) or have short arms, I recommend taking your time.

WHEN FINISHED, ENSURE YOU RE-AIM YOUR HEADLIGHTS. The output on my stock bulbs was so bad I never attempted to re-aim them from factory because they struggled to even reach 25 feet. With the new bulbs installed, you will definitely need to re-aim the lights. The Ford Owner site recommends to measure from the ground to the center of the low beam bulb and, using that measurement, place the tape on the wall at that height. Other people have mentioned that the cutoff line of your low beams (per law) cannot be above 36” at 25 feet away. I chose to use the instructions from Ford and have yet to be flashed or flipped off by other drivers…yet

Output Pictures:
Note - The light pole is EXACTLY 125 feet from the front end of the truck

Low Beam (Before on bottom/After on top)

High Beam (Before on bottom/After on top)

·
Registered
120 Posts
:cool:

AWESOMESAUCE!

My weekend just became a little more busy. Cheers!

·
Registered
191 Posts
As a heads up if you're using a protective film over the fog lamp lenses I wouldn't recommend the 9005 bulbs. I have LaminX film over my fogs and after a month of use the 9005's started to bubbling the film. I had to remove the bulbs to prevent anymore damage to the film.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I see them fine. Chrome and exploder if'n someone is still using that malware delivery browser.

·
Administrator
770 Posts
FYI to any canadians doing this, buy from the US site, they ship to Canada, even after exchange, shipping, and import fees you save 20$ on 4 bulbs.

Sent from Friendly Manitoooba

·
Administrator
770 Posts
Done tonight on my 2018. All I can say is WOW. What a difference this makes. Took me roughly 10 minutes to do the trimming and 15 minutes a side to do all 3 bulbs. This was done in minus 25 c weather too, which is not recommended.....

I did it with the tires on and honestly I don't think it would be any easier with them off. Crank them all the way to the side you're working on. Remove the 3 bolts in my picture below, and pull the liner back. Don't be afraid to bend and manipulate it.

10/10 would recommend doing this.

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
Nice job Austin. This may be the best "mod" for the lower-model 2018 F150's.
I agree. Will be doing this very quickly to "her" new Ruby Red.

Excellent write-up too!

I'm very appreciative of the effort. Thanks OP!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts