F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Reporting back after a week of use.... No issues thus far, AC still blows down into the 36-37 degree range. Liking that my truck handles the heat a little bit better than before and my AC seats really get frigid now. Happy Happy Happy!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
where is the best place to get the parts needed to make this? Radio Shakes are closed everywhere in my area...

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
where is the best place to get the parts needed to make this? Radio Shakes are closed everywhere in my area...
ANy electronics store would have what you need, resistors are dirt cheap....

·
Premium Member
539 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hell, if you can't find anyplace PM me your address.... I'll send you one pre-made. I have enough parts to make 11 more LOL.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Going to check my 15, it's not bad since we just tinted the windshield (rest of truck already done with ceramic) with ceramic tint which helps massively. I always do 70 so that it doesn't impact visibility just helps block all the heat.
Black truck, black interior in AZ = super duper hot.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Going to check my 15, it's not bad since we just tinted the windshield (rest of truck already done with ceramic) with ceramic tint which helps massively. I always do 70 so that it doesn't impact visibility just helps block all the heat.
Black truck, black interior in AZ = super duper hot.
I'll be interested in your results, the other group of people feel that the 2015+ has a PCM change that cycles the compressor more... making the AC cooler.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I placed a 470k and I am getting about 33 degree vent temp. I am confused do I need to increase my resistor to like 580k or lower it to being that temp up to around 40 degrees? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hello, I placed a 470k and I am getting about 33 degree vent temp. I am confused do I need to increase my resistor to like 580k or lower it to being that temp up to around 40 degrees? Thank you.
What was your initial temps? You will need to add resistance to get the temp warmer, I wouldn't run it at 33 degrees personally.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Haha. This thread is awesome. Who says you need a dealer!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
High 40s and would off cycle to mid 50s.
So every truck responds differantly to this, hence 1 size not fitting all... I would try adding resistance and seeing if it warms it 3-5 degrees or so. You may want to try an adjustable potentiometer to find your trucks sweet spot...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi everyone, Digitaltrucker here from F150. I wanted to explain one thing a little further. What you are doing here is adding resistance to the temperature probe that is inserted into the coil. By adding resistance, it tricks the system to thinking that the coil is warmer than what it is. Hence it cools longer.

For many, with poor performing ac systems, this work around lowers your vent temp and also tightens up your cycling points. Most with issues see their trucks cycling on the low side at 42 and high end at 46. This is way to long and will never cool your truck.

Please know that these systems were designed this way and it is believed they did to meet fuel standards. These poor performing systems are not low on freon!

On my personal truck, not the donor truck I reference in the post, the dealer replaced my coil because the probe, via IDS, was indicating a very wide cycling range. The only way to replace the probe, is to replace the coil. It had little to no effect on the system.

Another issue is this, the probe is suppose to cycle the system between 36-38 degrees, per Ford design. They dont.

This work around works very well and has made the hot Houston summer, very doable! Lower temps and humidity and it is getting close to removing for the winter.

My wife laughs at me, her edge freezes her out at she has to set it at 74!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Hi everyone, Digitaltrucker here from F150. I wanted to explain one thing a little further. What you are doing here is adding resistance to the temperature probe that is inserted into the coil. By adding resistance, it tricks the system to thinking that the coil is warmer than what it is. Hence it cools longer.

For many, with poor performing ac systems, this work around lowers your vent temp and also tightens up your cycling points. Most with issues see their trucks cycling on the low side at 42 and high end at 46. This is way to long and will never cool your truck.

Please know that these systems were designed this way and it is believed they did to meet fuel standards. These poor performing systems are not low on freon!

On my personal truck, not the donor truck I reference in the post, the dealer replaced my coil because the probe, via IDS, was indicating a very wide cycling range. The only way to replace the probe, is to replace the coil. It had little to no effect on the system.

Another issue is this, the probe is suppose to cycle the system between 36-38 degrees, per Ford design. They dont.

This work around works very well and has made the hot Houston summer, very doable! Lower temps and humidity and it is getting close to removing for the winter.

My wife laughs at me, her edge freezes her out at she has to set it at 74!
What value resistor did you put in parallel with your temp probe?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you just jam the resistor in with the other wires? Does it matter which side the colored bands (on resistor) are in relation to the plug wires in the plug?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Do you just jam the resistor in with the other wires? Does it matter which side the colored bands (on resistor) are in relation to the plug wires in the plug?
Jamming it in would the technical term... I prefer "shoving". LOL... Yes, just stick it in there. If you use a resister only it might fall out though, hence why I put the ends on... makes no difference what direction you install it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to stir up an old thread... I was wondering if these resistors are 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt? I bought a 2013 Platinum Screw in February and didn't know the AC wasnt very cool when I bought it. Now that it's warmer... well, you know. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sorry to stir up an old thread... I was wondering if these resistors are 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt? I bought a 2013 Platinum Screw in February and didn't know the AC wasnt very cool when I bought it. Now that it's warmer... well, you know. Thanks in advance for any help.
Resistors are 1/4 watt..

21 - 40 of 138 Posts
About this Discussion
137 Replies
52 Participants
Mattg3471
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing