F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Dude, I need this. Where locally did you pick up the resistor? I need to do this tonight!
Frys electronics had everything I needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
Frys electronics had everything I needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fry's is still around??? All the ones in Texas that I knew of had closed down or got replaced by Best Buy.

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
170° T and a 5* tow tune work very well; fans come on earlier ....no A/C issues at all!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
170° T and a 5* tow tune work very well; fans come on earlier ....no A/C issues at all!
Just a thought, try to stay away from those temps:) but the humidity is allot lower also:)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
But wait theirs more?! :explicit:

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
That totally sucks. I hope if you have an outside job that the company understands how hard that is to work in physically. My company tells you to be mindful of how you feel. Drink plenty of water. Take short breaks. And by the way I got 2 more jobs for you to do and don't be late cause it counts against you. And that was in 106 degrees. Thought I was going to die.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I played around with some 357,000 ohm resistors got my raptor and tremor both down to 38 deg.

·
Registered
414 Posts
That totally sucks. I hope if you have an outside job that the company understands how hard that is to work in physically. My company tells you to be mindful of how you feel. Drink plenty of water. Take short breaks. And by the way I got 2 more jobs for you to do and don't be late cause it counts against you. And that was in 106 degrees. Thought I was going to die.
The guy that does my yard work every 4 months or so came by , told him what i wanted done , i asked him how much ? He said $100 bucks , I usally say $80 and he agrees . Its so hot i told him $100 would be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm getting about 46 degree vent temps on Max AC with the ambient temp around 110 or so. That's pretty good but I thought it might be in the high 30's though. Maybe that's too much to ask in this kind of heat ;)

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Wow I feel like this is a newb post but I'm not sure how to wire in my Adjustable POT. I bought one off Amazon, 500k as recommended. Temps here in Florida are getting unbearable and with the black truck/interior its rough. Sometimes I remote start my truck twice to let her cool down before I leave work.

So I have this adjustable POT. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KKPJVS2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are 3 terminals on there. My plan is to solder about 3-6 inches of wire to each terminal. Looking at the image, and assuming the terminals are facing you, lets call them 1, 2 and 3 going from left to right.

What do I do? Imagine I have soldered a wire to each and it is ready to be inserted into the plug that Ducatti explained behind the glove box. Maybe I only need to solder a wire on 2 of the leads. If so which ones? Once they are soldered, will it matter which wires go into the plug? Seems the resistor alone can be installed either way. Can the Adj. POT?

I apologize for such a dumb question, but this one is confusing me. I will gladly post pictures of my set up after I complete this installation so those of you interested in using the adjustable POT can do so easily. Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Wow I feel like this is a newb post but I'm not sure how to wire in my Adjustable POT. I bought one off Amazon, 500k as recommended. Temps here in Florida are getting unbearable and with the black truck/interior its rough. Sometimes I remote start my truck twice to let her cool down before I leave work.

So I have this adjustable POT. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KKPJVS2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are 3 terminals on there. My plan is to solder about 3-6 inches of wire to each terminal. Looking at the image, and assuming the terminals are facing you, lets call them 1, 2 and 3 going from left to right.

What do I do? Imagine I have soldered a wire to each and it is ready to be inserted into the plug that Ducatti explained behind the glove box. Maybe I only need to solder a wire on 2 of the leads. If so which ones? Once they are soldered, will it matter which wires go into the plug? Seems the resistor alone can be installed either way. Can the Adj. POT?

I apologize for such a dumb question, but this one is confusing me. I will gladly post pictures of my set up after I complete this installation so those of you interested in using the adjustable POT can do so easily. Thanks for any help in advance!
Short answer: one of those leads you won't use: it is the "pass through" and provides no resistance. Stick a multimeter on there and turn the pot, when you find the two leads that show a delta with each click or small twist, you have found the two you need to solder leads to and stab into the backside of the connector. Make sense?

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Thank you! I think thats what I assumed, since a resistor just has two ends, I was worried what to do with my third. I'll try this out this weekend and post some pictures on how to do this. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
So I'm at home, grabbed my multimeter and checked it out. You were pretty much on the head Jerry, thanks again.

What I found is that "pins" 1 and 2 work together, and 2 and 3 work together. Testing these while turning the knob changed the resistance. The difference is that they go opposite. If you try 1 and 2, and turn the knob clockwise, the value gets larger and all the way counter clock-wise is 0. The opposite is true if I try 2 and 3 together.

If you try 1 with 3, then you end up with just "pass through" which for my "500k" POT, finishes around 495k on my multimeter.

Wife is at dinner, gonna solder some leads on and try it out. I'll take some pics too.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Here's some pictures from my phone

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Must report back that this mod is working great. I first set my Adj. POT to 400K and tried it out. The lowest I could get it was around 45° after MAX for 20+ minutes. This was already an improvement over stock as I had never got below 50° before the mod. I decided last night to crank the knob a little. Really I just unplugged the adjustable POT, and turned the setting down the 370K on my multimeter and reinstalled. Today on my way to work I saw as low as 39° with it pretty much holding 40-41°. It was the first time I've ever had to turn my AC up to avoid being too cold. Very awesome.

Hopefully today it gets pretty hot so I can test the abilities to cool the truck once the interior is heat soaked from sitting all day in the sun.

·
Vendor
314 Posts
BoostKing: Good job and good write up! Glad it's working.

Thought I'd post an update on mine which is an 11' and with the POT I can only find one setting that really works well. I had put a Multimeter on it to check a while back but don't remember the resistance numbers, but the one that works were in my original post.

So this mod "works" for me in the following way: At that one setting it works great but FOR ME, it takes a long time for the truck to really cool way down. By cool down I mean withOUT the resistor mod in, in 100 degree weather, it blows 60 degrees to start and then gets colder. Plug in the resistor and it immediately goes to 54 degrees and with time low 40s.. like 25mins of driving. But the more I drive, the colder it gets.. too cold. I drove it to a track event a couple of weeks ago, it was a 3 hour trip and it was 96 degrees. 2 hours into the trip the system started to freeze up. I had to pull over and pull the POT.

If anything, my experience calls for a POT with more options, AND it requires adjustment WHILE driving.. like start with the current resistance when I first get in, and then dial it back or cut out the resistor after 25 mins in to the drive in order to keep it from freezing. Probably more than some care to mess with it; I'm just amazed how long it takes and how it continues to get colder the longer I drive, even stock.

81 - 100 of 138 Posts