F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 4WD Lariat Sport, SuperCrew, 4WD, 3.5 EcoBoost, Special Edition Package
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
YouTuber Ford Boss Me inspired me to make this video, as he theorized longer cranking times can mitigate (or totally prevent) the notorious 2nd gen 3.5L EcoBoost V6 startup rattle. I experimented with different cranking times consisting of approx. 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8 seconds, and 1, 2, and 3 cranking sessions. The truck is 100% stock and components (such as cam phasers, timing chains, etc.), have never been replaced.

Conclusion: In most cases, longer crank = less startup rattle. I've managed to completely eliminate the rattle by cranking for 6 continuous seconds (it can still be heard at 4 and 5 seconds, but briefer).

To perform this extended cranking, depress both the brake and gas pedal and push the start/stop button. The engine will continue to crank for as long as the gas pedal is held down. Upon releasing the gas, the engine will start normally. For vehicles without the keyless start, perform the same brake/gas pedal procedure but turn the key and hold it. Let off the gas and key, and the engine will start normally.

All of my sound recordings were recorded under the front wheel well outside the vehicle for the greatest accuracy, as the rattle is difficult to hear when inside the vehicle. All recordings were performed when the truck, a 2018 F-150 with 27,000 miles, was started with the engine cold, having sat for at least 12 hours or more.

These recordings were performed throughout the course of about 1 month, the vehicle being subjected to different driving conditions the day before or after recordings. Since ownership at 20,000 miles, the truck has made this rattle. Full synthetic 5W-30 oil (either Mobil1 or Penzoil) is used. Oil changes are performed at 5,000 miles. Besides this rattle, which is usually brief, the engine is very quiet and sounds healthy.

The truck assembly date is August 7, 2018. The date stamped into the engine block is July 19, 2018. The engine sticker date is August 3, 2018. Additional engine information (also seen in video): E1221, JS 364 AB 72, C11721620. These audio recordings were recorded on my Samsung Galaxy S8.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,649 Posts
I made this video a couple of years ago (man time flies when you are gettin old) and you can visually monitor the oil pressure during the starting exercise that you posted above.

That particular truck never made a single "what was that noise" during my 3 year 7 month ownership. (not 100% accurate because I did hear my IWE complain a couple of times)

By the way, my 2021 F150 Powerboost makes "WTH" noises every time I have driven it. I know one inmate on this forum (hint: West Coast) that would LOVE the truck, but he'd never be able to sleep at night.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
I thought Ford fixed this issue in the 2nd gen 3.5 engines and was only an issue with the gen 1's...

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 4WD Lariat Sport, SuperCrew, 4WD, 3.5 EcoBoost, Special Edition Package
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought Ford fixed this issue in the 2nd gen 3.5 engines and was only an issue with the gen 1's...
Nope. Ironically Ford "redesigned" them to improve reliability with the 2nd gen. Their attempt was an epic fail and now has even more issues than the 1st gen. The culprit is a little pin inside that has difficulty locking in place upon startup. A way around this is by building sufficient oil pressure prior to starting to lock it in place. Luckily Ford offers owners an easy way to crank the engine longer unlike my Hyundai.

·
Registered
2018 F-150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost 4x4 3.55
3 Posts
You’re simply masking the issue by building oil pressure before the engine starts. Cam phasers are designed to lock at base timing after shutting down. This allows time for oil pressure to build in the heads on the next cold start. The oil pressure unseats the locking pin and the PCM can then control the phaser position via the VCT solenoid. When the phasers don’t properly lock, they rattle until there is sufficient oil pressure to fill the VCT unit. This is why the updated parts have a redesigned locking mechanism. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You’re simply masking the issue by building oil pressure before the engine starts. Cam phasers are designed to lock at base timing after shutting down. This allows time for oil pressure to build in the heads on the next cold start. The oil pressure unseats the locking pin and the PCM can then control the phaser position via the VCT solenoid. When the phasers don’t properly lock, they rattle until there is sufficient oil pressure to fill the VCT unit. This is why the updated parts have a redesigned locking mechanism. Hope that helps.
[
Have these redesigned parts replaced the originals in the IPB? Would it be possible for you to link part numbers of the parts to be replaced?

·
Registered
2018 F-150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost 4x4 3.55
3 Posts
I dont off hand but the released a new TSB 10/2019 regarding production of new cam phasers with better locking mechanisms to fix the issue. So far it seems to be working.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for sharing. You'll probably End up never having to replace These if you're persistent with this practice.

Apples to oranges, But i noticed in my gen 1 that when i switched from mobil 1 5w30 to amsoil XL 5w30 (both with motorcraft fl500s filter) i rarely ever get the rattle. The truck can sit a week and still not do it in most cases, where before it would happen after sitting more than 2 days. Just something that might be worth trying and reporting for the gen 2 guys.

·
Registered
2018 F150 xlt 3.5 Ecoboost.
23 Posts
2018 here and have been holding the gas pedal down until the oil pressure comes up for a second. Unusual sound, vibration, only while accelerating when not fully warmed up. Sounds like it's coming from driver's side turbocharger. Goes away immediately after letting off and easing into throttle. Concerned that if this loud vibration from under the hood continues more frequently, we will part company.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 EB. Mine sounds like a knock. i don't trust the dealers here. i've been investigating doing it myself. im hoping i can find someone with a 2017-2020 3.5 EB that have had repaired to get pn's

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 EB. Mine sounds like a knock. i don't trust the dealers here. i've been investigating doing it myself. im hoping i can find someone with a 2017-2020 3.5 EB that have had repaired to get pn's
I have a 2017 explorer with the 3.5 and have the knock like you have, only does it for half of a second and been doing it for years, but am tempted to use lucas oil stabilizer and see if that helps

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
I have a 2017 explorer with the 3.5 and have the knock like you have, only does it for half of a second and been doing it for years, but am tempted to use lucas oil stabilizer and see if that helps
Is it the 3.5 Ecoboost or the regular 3.5 ?

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
OK.

·
Registered
2017 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
1 Posts
Recently purchased a 2017 F150 XLT 3.5 EB with 86k miles. I took it to the dealer and they were not able to fix it with a ECM reflash but they quoted me $3.7k if I decided to go through with the repair. I don't think the cost for the repair is worth it especially considering the rattling reappeared a while later for some members here. I know I could perform the extended cranking fix for the remainder of my time owning my truck, but could this cam phaser rattle damage the engine in the long term? Personally I can live with a 1 second rattle if it's not causing any extra wear and tear on the engine.

·
Registered
2013 race red SCrew 4x4 air lift bags
2,097 Posts
Recently purchased a 2017 F150 XLT 3.5 EB with 86k miles. I took it to the dealer and they were not able to fix it with a ECM reflash but they quoted me $3.7k if I decided to go through with the repair. I don't think the cost for the repair is worth it especially considering the rattling reappeared a while later for some members here. I know I could perform the extended cranking fix for the remainder of my time owning my truck, but could this cam phaser rattle damage the engine in the long term? Personally I can live with a 1 second rattle if it's not causing any extra wear and tear on the engine.
Yes.

·
Moderstrator
4,099 Posts
$3700 is nothing to smile about but f the chain jumps teeth it can get very expensive, 2 or 3 times that much. Some members drive with the rattle for thousands of miles. Others have had serious issues in a matter of months. I for one am a believer that when it starts making the noise it's simply saying fix me, fix me now.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,649 Posts
Why would a Gen2 phaser job cost as much as a Gen1 timing chain job?

I mean if you want to change the entire timing VVT ensemble because of phaser clatter, then I could see the cost being pretty much the same thing. But it's not the same malady.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
12,649 Posts
I really wasn't correcting since I absolutely agree that the Gen1 noise is a signal of inevitability.

It's not uncommon on these threads for the conversation to cross from one generation to the other.

Reactions: Boatwaco
1 - 20 of 20 Posts