F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really wasn't correcting since I absolutely agree that the Gen1 noise is a signal of inevitability.

It's not uncommon on these threads for the conversation to cross from one generation to the other.
so can we conclude chances of catastrophic failure on the Gen 2 is less if we ignore the cold start rattle? I just bought a used one and didn’t really hear it well before I purchased it and now having some remorse on the cost to repair. Or pound a bottle of the Lucas additive in and offload it to some dealer on trade in.

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,691 Posts
I don't know if I could live with clacking phasers on a Gen2 if I had to hear it. If the cold-start pre-oiling procedure was enough to quiet it, I could live with the requirement. And I would probably experiment with a few oils just to see if I got good results.
For example, an 0W40.

But that's just me. I don't blame others for not being willing to do either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know if I could live with clacking phasers on a Gen2 if I had to hear it. If the cold-start pre-oiling procedure was enough to quiet it, I could live with the requirement. And I would probably experiment with a few oils just to see if I got good results.
For example, an 0W40.

But that's just me. I don't blame others for not being willing to do either.
yeah it sounds bloody awful. But from everything I’ve read no one has come back and said “yeah I ignored it and my engine blew up”.
The pre-oiling definitely helps. I have a short after market powertrain warranty on it (who knows they’ll actually cover the fix though if it’s not throwing codes yet) so might drive it during that period until I can’t take it anymore or find something better to swap to.

·
Registered
2018 F150 XLT FX4 Super Crew 3.5 Ecoboost W/ Sport package
7 Posts
My 2018 3.5 EB F150 XLT Screw FX4 Max Tow has the phaser rattle pretty bad. It started about 30,000 mi and currently has 45k. It is my understanding that the pin that’s supposed to keep it quiet has failed. The obvious solution is a pre-oiler. I saw FordBossMe link to a YouTube video of one being installed on a late model Expedition. It would be nice if the Ford aftermarket guys would make a complete kit so we wouldn’t have to specify each part and mount it with zip ties. 😂

Trading it in is not cost effective since I actually tow off road and have lots of scratches and a few small dents to prove it. 😁

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,569 Posts
My 2018 3.5 EB F150 XLT Screw FX4 Max Tow has the phaser rattle pretty bad. It started about 30,000 mi and currently has 45k. It is my understanding that the pin that’s supposed to keep it quiet has failed. The obvious solution is a pre-oiler. I saw FordBossMe link to a YouTube video of one being installed on a late model Expedition. It would be nice if the Ford aftermarket guys would make a complete kit so we wouldn’t have to specify each part and mount it with zip ties. 😂

Trading it in is not cost effective since I actually tow off road and have lots of scratches and a few small dents to prove it. 😁
you're still within your factory Power train warranty. I'd get it in sooner than later and have them replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
$500 is a lot better than letting the excuse making problem deniers at my local Stealership mess with my truck. They did a number of lame repairs on my last truck. I had to pull the transmission and sleeve the crank at the rear seal on a Ford crate motor. They put two clutches in in two years and blamed me somehow for the leak. Dirty bastards

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
I don't know what the fella said in the video that was prompting the reply, but I still think it's a reasonable practice to get oil pressure to the phasers to avoid the clack.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My most recent oil test from Blackstone Laboratories found "a trace amount" of fuel in the oil. That was the result of the 10sec crank method for about 6months. If the fuel builds up between oil changes, is that a concern?
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
How can you be sure that is where the fuel dilution came from? The pcm prohibits the injectors from injecting fuel during the procedure.
At least that's what I have always understood.
No spark & no fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This guy says Ford has found the camshaft megacaps are leaking which means there’s no oil pressure in the phasers at cold start. They redesigned the megacaps and the head so they can be installed. See the video at 13:45

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 4WD Lariat Sport, SuperCrew, 4WD, 3.5 EcoBoost, Special Edition Package
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
My most recent oil test from Blackstone Laboratories found "a trace amount" of fuel in the oil. That was the result of the 10sec crank method for about 6months. If the fuel builds up between oil changes, is that a concern?
In a perfect world that shouldn't happen but that's the reality of DI engines. My '18 3.5, '18 2.0 Lincoln MKC, '19 Hyundai Tucson and former '14 Chevy Equinox all experience fuel dilution, all have oil smelling like gas, and I don't perform extended cranking on them. I'm not overly concerned. It's worth noting though several months ago when I switched to 91 premium fuel in the Hyundai the oil level stopped rising. I have threads about this in the Hyundai forums. Members there love to make fun of me and call me crazy for stating premium fuel could help mitigate dilution. Their hostility to new ideas is humourous. I have monthly pictures documenting it and it doesn't take a genius to see the level is no longer rising and I haven't altered any of my driving habits. I check the oil level every month and the level has not increased since switching to premium from 87. Maybe that won't work for every car but it seems to work for my Hyundai and is worth a try even though it sounds illogical.

·
Registered
2017 Ford F-150 XLT SC | 4x4 | 3.5 EB | 5Star 93 Perf Tune
2 Posts
Since my last post, I opened up a case with Ford's customer service and they did a fine job helping me out with my cam phasers. Under their direction, I took my truck back to the dealer and got re-quoted $2600 for the work BUT with 2/3 of it covered by Ford. At the miles I had (88k), I wasn't expecting them to cover that large of a portion but they did and I'm super grateful they took the initiative to cover that much. Chances are the rattle won't come back since they used the latest revised parts and changed out the worn out vcts and tensioners. On top of that, the invoice stated that they also completed an oil change and replaced 2 units of anti-freeze (probably gallons). If yours is rattling and you're on the fence about taking it in, I strongly suggest you contact Ford and see if they can help you.

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
Good job!
And yes, the TSB /Customer Satisfaction program regarding the Gen2 3.5 phasers states that Ford will cover that percentage at that mileage if you meet the criteria. But getting someone at Ford to actually follow through and coordinate with a dealership isn't always easy. So well done to all parties!

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,569 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how bad or not the cam phaser rattle is on the 21's and newer 3.5's, my dealership has already replaced phasers on a few now unfortunately.

• Sad
Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
I admit that I haven't read every single post on the Gen14 Forum, but I haven't missed many.
I haven't heard a peep about phasers. But I didn't expect to yet either considering mileage.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts