F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, I have a 2012 EcoBoost (6 cyl - I think that's all they made in 2012) F150 Crew Cab/Short Bed with somewhat of a tow package, but I'm having difficulty delineating what I have and what I should have to tow a 26' 4500# dry weight travel trailer, a 2009 Heartland North Trail 21FBS, which is 26'6" per spec. I know I have to account for the fresh/grey/black tanks and contents .... I have a feeling that's not going to be the issue with my EcoBoost, I think I need to be more concerned about my tongue weight and suspension and whether I need a sway bar or weight distribution system, but I don't know much about those. (Forgive my ignorance, please ... but I've always been told the most stupid questions are the ones that you don't ask!) Per my "window sticker" info I have "up-hill" assist and "anti-sway" and I have a trailer hitch, but I know I don't have the "full" tow package because I don't have the extendable sided mirrors. I need help figuring out what I may be lacking and if this trailer is too much and I should stick to 24' or below. I bought the 2012 Ecoboost with the intention of getting a TTrailer, but I can find anyone at the dealership to sit down with me and advise me and I don't know that I trust the RV sales folks to properly advise me either ... hence I'm coming to you folks for honest words. I am a 55 y/o single female, so I have to do this right because I don't have anyone to be there to have my back and I don't want to do anything "muy stupido"!. I have previously towed ~21' bay boats like they "weren't even there", no problem, but I know that's a far cry from a TTrailer. Any advice you guys could give me would be deeply appreciated. If a VIN number would be of help I can provide that. Thanks SOOO much in advance! I haven't bought the travel trailer yet, but I've already missed three that I really liked by procrastinating and trying to figure things out, so some prompt feedback would be AWESOME! Thanks again, in advance!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tow a 7600# dry weight 36'9" travel trailer and the tongue weight is 750#s. I have a 2013 xlt with Max tow package and it does fine, get a good wdh and roadmaster active suspension or air bags and you'll be fine

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wdh is a weight distribution hitch, also, what is the tongue weight of you TT?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just looked up the tongue weight and it's 390 pounds so even without the max tow package your truck is plenty for it, you'll still need a good wdh

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I just looked up the tongue weight and it's 390 pounds so even without the max tow package your truck is plenty for it, you'll still need a good wdh
Not much time right now, but . . . Don't be in a hurry or you might get a trailer that doesn't work well. And, DON'T rely on what the dealer (truck or trailer) says. It has been a recurring theme here that people are told everything is fine by the dealers. Whether they don't know or are just lying is debatable. . .

JM_RTB is right that you will need a good W/D hitch and good anti-sway at what will easily end up over 5K lbs loaded. But, IMO a little care should be taken with the other part of the advice. You should look at the loaded TW instead of the dry TW. I would suggest doing a calculation on the trailer GVWR x 15% to see what you can expect as a max TW on your truck. The other issue is always what you put in the truck itself during your tow.

The mirrors are a symptom of having the max tow option, but there are other levels. 535 is what most believe is the 'normal' F150 towing package option.

Also, Look up your vehicle on the site here:
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6-f150-ecoboost-chat/4746-your-ford-vehicle-information-lookup-site.html

If you have HD towing package listed (which is AKA 535), you will have more towing capability (trans & engine cooling) than just having a hitch on the truck.

There are lots of factors that will effect your towing capacity and (often more importantly) the payload of your truck. Post a picture of your driver's side door stickers and window sticker for more specific info on your truck (you can cover the VIN if that concerns you). It's almost all about payload with half ton trucks.

Reactions: tinytimm
1 - 5 of 5 Posts