F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,

I'm in the market for a new F-150 and after a short test drive, I was sold. Now to just find the specifics in the truck that I want. The reasoning for joining up is to gather knowledge for the EB. I know absolutely nothing about them. I hope to learn the quirks, D.O.M. to stay away from and etc.

Little history about me, I come from a Ford family, Dad has a few Cobras, Mom sports a Lighting, brother has a 331 stroked Foxbody. I recently sold my Mustang and 72 F100 that was nicley outfitted with a 428CJ.

Corbin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome aboard Corbin. For the specifics in what you want in a truck is, in my opinion, a very personal choice. First, what is your spending limit! Then I would start looking at what you will be doing with the truck, i.e. grocery getter, highway/city driving only, two wheel or four wheel, will you be pulling a trailer, etc. Now as in my case, I'm an avid outdoorsman so I opted for the FX4 super crew. I do some light towing, my yamaha rhino or harleys, do some light to moderate off-roading, and a whole lot of highway/city driving. I opted for this model because it has everything except the kitchen sink LOL. But the more you put on the truck from the dealer the more it's going to cost. Anyway, that's my .02 cents worth and I hope you find the right truck for you and you won't be disappointed in the F-150.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Corbin, Welcome aboard.

I just purchased my FX4 eco=boost three days ago. I was pretty much sold on picking up a 5.0 F150 but after doing some research on the Eco, looking at the HP/TQ numbers and MPG I figured for an extra $1,100 or so just to go with the tech turbo engine. One of my big reasons for buying the F150 4x4 is that they are now 4 wheel down towable behind a motorhome. As for the gut seat of the pants feel and the published numbers, I feel that the Eco offers me what I need in the way of a pickup truck comfortable enough that I sold my F250 V10 manual transmission 2006 work horse of a truck. Now I am sure that I will miss that 8' truck bed, but I can also hook a utility trailer behind the new truck if I need the extra load space or capacity.

As to the MPG between the Eco and the 5.0 from what I have read I don't really think any difference exist. And to be honest both trucks do offer good of the lot power. However, if you want to do a little aftermarket tuning as some point in the future you can add a quick 75HP to the Eco for cheap money.

The one item or option that I did not get nor could it be found on any local on the lot models is the Max Tow Option. Not that I will ever really need it, I just like overkill.

As for me having a limited time of ownership of the Eco-boost, this is somewhat true. However, my son has been driving them since they came to market and has been extremely impressed over that period of time. He had kept track as to any reoccurring problems and the dependability of the Eco-boost both through his service department as well as customer feedback. He is a Sales Manager at a local Ford Dealership. And while you may think well that's his job to promote the product he sales, he also knows better than to try and tell his Dad a fib/lie/non-truth. His Mom raised him to be an honest person, I say Mom because I worked so much Mom had more one on one time with teaching the twins right from wrong and bringing them up right. She is a darn good Wife also.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Welcome to the EcoBeast family!

You will love the truck!

SPPD

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey welcome to the Club! Sweet additional rides too by the way. You're going to really enjoy the EcoBeast and all that it can do.

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Corbin,

We are in AZ and do alot of Mustang performance parts. I have our ecoboost here everyday if you want to come down and check it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome aboard Corbin. For the specifics in what you want in a truck is, in my opinion, a very personal choice. First, what is your spending limit! Then I would start looking at what you will be doing with the truck, i.e. grocery getter, highway/city driving only, two wheel or four wheel, will you be pulling a trailer, etc. Now as in my case, I'm an avid outdoorsman so I opted for the FX4 super crew. I do some light towing, my yamaha rhino or harleys, do some light to moderate off-roading, and a whole lot of highway/city driving. I opted for this model because it has everything except the kitchen sink LOL. But the more you put on the truck from the dealer the more it's going to cost. Anyway, that's my .02 cents worth and I hope you find the right truck for you and you won't be disappointed in the F-150.

I pretty much have my ideal truck picked out in my head. Like you, I gather up the fiancé and the kids for frequent camp trips, hunting trips at the end of the year and some mild offroading/wheeling. On top of all that, my daily commute is 65 miles roundtrip and its all freeway. My Titan gets a whopping 14-15mpg (around 9mpg if I am loaded up for a hunt going up to the mountains). It's a good thing im not too worried about gas mileage. I'm still learning what the difference s are between the FX4 vs XL vs XLT etc.

I appreciate your .02 cents.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your approach towards the EB and the V8 was how I looked at it until I drove one. I like the power all the way tbrough the curve. Needless to say I was impressed. As far as performance goes, I would assume that the EB wohld respond very well to tbe basic stuff as CIA and a tune. You mention 75HP, that is pretty respectful for a relatively low cost.

I wasn't aware there was a max tow option. After looking it up, it appears that would be overkill for my uses. I don't plan of towing anything significant for another few years. I have a few other priorities to check off first. Did your son see any recurring problems with his experience?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! It was a fun upbringing having a Mom & Dad who were into fast cars. The killer was my Mom traded in her 68 Fastback for a stationwagon when I was born. To this day she still kicks herself in the butt. Some of the stable might be hitting the market. I forgot to mention that we picked up a Bondurant (performance driving school here in Az) a few years ago. After racing a few seasons its been sitting on the trailer, basically rotting. :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I'll call you once I get settled in with the new truck.

Sorry for the replies with quotes. Apparently my phone isn't working with me, haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
MusikComposer
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing