F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4, 3.5L, SuperCrew, 6.5' Bed
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here is using the new MPVI3? How do you like it as compared to previous versions? Mine should arrive next week where I'll get it connected. I have a bunch of Full Race and AMS stuff to install and will be on the lookout for a tune/tuner afterwards. I'm thinking about going back to Evans Tuning as Jeff did an awesome job on my old Honda Civic build but am open to other recommendations.

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 SCLB Max Tow
675 Posts
Didn’t know HP tuners released another tuning device….. Hmm might have to check this out….

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Apparently there will be a trade in program in December and I’ll wait for that to come. I’m not buying 6 credits again? Lol.

It seems to have some nice features over my MPVI2 and I like the “dragy” like features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,046 Posts
I looked but couldn't find anything specific...... But iOS features?
Is there smartphone/tablet monitoring software from HPTuners?

·
Registered
9,865 Posts
I looked but couldn't find anything specific...... But iOS features?
Is there smartphone/tablet monitoring software from HPTuners?
Yes. But its pretty useless unless your tuner uses their tune network im pretty sure. You can not tell it what PIDs to log, your tuner has to send a log file to you.

You cant get access to the tune network unless your an HPTuners vendor

This is why I never moved to the mvpi2+. It added the iOS capability but the software was completely useless to me as a self tuner.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
I think about it in Layman's terms. Some of the features are really to expand on helping customers that don't have a PC or don't want to use one. I like the idea of it being able to get you some stats like the Dragy though. I guess we'll see how accurate it is and how it functions.

·
Premium Member
14,046 Posts
I was just hoping it was everything an Ngauge was (and more) but could be used with the Bluetooth or USB C interface for driving a mobile version of HPT scanner/monitor.

Or put another way, would be an HPT powered Obdlink, if you will.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I mainly wanted the ability to Read/Clear DTCs, Datalog, misc tools, VCM special Functions, and tuning ( if you work with a vendor ) all from my iPhone/iPad.

More useful for all my newer vehicles. Think of it like a knock-off EZ Lynk, except you have the ability to modify your own file.

The trade-in covers about half the cost while also allowing you to transfer all credits.

·
Premium Member
14,046 Posts
To be more specific and selfishly self serving, HPTuners already has all the Pids figured out for the Pre-Gen14 Ecoboost. At least all the ones that matter to me. Especially the ones that ONLY my Ngauge can render on the Gen14 trucks but that NONE of the other monitoring devices can.

Example: Oil Pressure PID.

The Ngauge renders it on both my 2018 3.5 & my 2022. But Obdlink, Forscan Lite, Torque.... None of them do. (Full version of Forscan DOES have the PID, ironically, but I don't want a laptop as my gauge cluster)
The same for OAR & LOR, however I did manage to find someone on a Focus RS forum that figured out the OAR Pid parameters, so I was able to build it on Obdlink.

Again, because of my affinity to HPTuners, I'd rather give them the $upport as a customer, but I need to prepare for the eventual end to my Ngauge no matter what.

Seriously considering adding a real oil pressure gauge if I can't overcome the PID obstacle. Heck, I don't even understand how the oil pressure PID works since there's no sensor. I suspect it's calculated? Similar to head temperature?

·
Registered
2020 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4, 3.5L, SuperCrew, 6.5' Bed
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the time today to play around with the TDN app and VCM software. I purchased 4 credits thinking that was enough but I may need 2 more to cover the TCM to write. I'll find out for certain as soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts