F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17’ 3.5 EB lariat. When I steer slightly right, as going around a curve or changing lanes. I hear a very light hum and feel a really gentle vibration. Any ideas on where too look to fix this issue?

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
916 Posts
I have a 17’ 3.5 EB lariat. When I steer slightly right, as going around a curve or changing lanes. I hear a very light hum and feel a really gentle vibration. Any ideas on where too look to fix this issue?
Hmmmmm I know the IWEs can make a humming sound, but it’s usually all the time, no matter how you turn. But, you could check that out.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
EPAS may be producing the noise but I’m not sure why. Usually instances where you hear the EPAS are at full lock…

·
Moderstrator
3,437 Posts
4x4? Check u joints on front axles. And bearings.
No U-joints. CV joints on these trucks and yeah they go bad too but usually have lost grease and have a torn boot. I'd look at the hub bearings as has already been suggested.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's how mine started, slight hum and vibration while turning to the right. It quickly turned into a loud humming, mixed with vibration in the steering wheel and pedals while doing anything other than turning hard left.
Just took it to the dealership and had the front drivers wheel hub assembly replaced for $480 out the door. Good as new now.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
My truck began making a slight binding, scraping noise, but when turning both left and right. Sounded like it was coming from the front. I was wondering if I had a problem with the front differential.

Turns out, it was the rear differential. It was shot. Fortunately, it was a month before my ESP ran out, so it was fixed for the $100 deductible. The rear end on my truck was the 3.73 with mechanical limited slip differential that came with HDPP trucks in 2014.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Second the wheel bearings. Mine did the same thing. Goes away or gets worse if you steer from side to side.

When my IWE went up, it made a banging noise. I was on a rural road and I thought sticks were hitting the undercarriage. They can grind too.

If it is 4x4, engage it on a nice straight road and see if the sound goes away. If it does, IWEs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've experienced this in another rear wheel drive vehicle. The carrier bearings in the differential were going out and caused the backlash in the gears to get too tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts