F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,440 Posts
So, I've been having trouble finding someone to tune my 2018 2.7. I went to 3 shops in Kansas City and called 18 shops around the midwest. I basically got laughed out of each shop, one only does V8's, the other only does LS motors and the third, well I don't have anything good to say about my visit, so I'll just say they didn't pass the interview.

I DO NOT WANT A CANNED TUNE.

I have a pretty basic build as it sits currently. I installed all of this, this past Saturday. The previous weekend I did some suspension tuning some drive-train work.

-2018 F-150 XL 2.7 4x4
-CVF Downpipe
-CVF Intake
-CVF TITAN V1 IC w/ pipes
-AMS turbo inlet pipes
-4" MBRP

The truck now needs its first tune, it's project truck, driven maybe twice a month. Now, that it's breathing better I want to convert it to full E85 and start on the drive train. It has a built 10R in it and I have a custom aluminum drives shaft being fabricated. I want to see how far I can take a full build on this platform before I put a 5.0 in it and call 'er a day. I want to see if I can get the motor to hold 1000hp.

I need a SOLID tuning partner with real experience on these motors. I'm a little frustrated after calling every shop in 300 miles and none are willing to tune it. Including Brew City Boost, who said the best they could do is a canned tune.

Please help...does anyone know ANYONE within an 8-hour trailer trip of Kansas City tune these motors? Even Colorado...I'd fly someone to KC and rent dyno time. Not joking.

This is my first post, but I'm praying someone knows a real tuner.🙏
First off, nice truck!! And cool mods!

Honestly, @GearHead_1 is right. A dyno Tune is actually not as good as a custom tune with data from your device.

Here’s what I’d do if I were you. Call a reputable tuner who knows these trucks well and tell them what you want to do.

Here’s a list of good tuning companies that know what their doing.

And there’s lots of other ones…

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,440 Posts
Thanks for the reply Matt. I did contact ZFG today. They said email or text only. I wasn't able to get anyone on the phone from ZFG or MPT. I didn't try Boost King, is that your company or are you affiliated with them. I know your build pretty well, it's impressive!
Thanks! Ok, yeah, pretty much all the tuning companies do the best with e-mail. If you want the fastest tunes, go with Torrie from Unleashed tuning. He is so fast and will answer almost in the middle of the night. Uh no, BoostKing tuning is completely separate from me. My name on here has nothing to do with the tuning company.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,440 Posts
Boostking(not the guy above), ZFG, and Gearhead(again, not the guy above) are the 3 I would trust to do it right. I believe all of them have a good fundamental understanding of how these pcm’s work. ZFG was on the HPTuners forum and it was clear he was learning everything he could and really getting into the nitty gritty details
I still wanna get a tune from ZFG but I don’t have HPTuners dang it.

Reactions: TOWMA8R

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,440 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,440 Posts
Well, I might as well say it. I'm building a custom turbo setup for the motor build and putting that to work on the factory motor will help develop that system, so I don't blow up a $10k motor the first week I have it. I'm a ways out from it being functional, but I need data to help perfect the system. If it holds together, it's gonna fly tho. If it doesn't, I'll learn alot. Then, put a 5.0 in it.
I will tell you, CRP told me the stage 4 turbos are the highest flowing/largest turbos for the 2.7 on the market. He told me, any larger and the turbos will start surging at wide open throttle because there’s only so much air you can cram into a 2.7L engine. So I’m very curious as to how your project goes. I considered this as well and was wanting a set of large turbos and wanted to customize everything but that was more a dream than reality so I just got the stage 4s.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,440 Posts
If he is running a big single or compounds then it shouldnt be a problem.

The issue is that the stock based turbos are too tiny and can't handle a higher pressure ratio.
Gotcha. Thanks for that info

Reactions: Boatwaco
1 - 6 of 6 Posts