F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,384 Posts
Well, I might as well say it. I'm building a custom turbo setup for the motor build and putting that to work on the factory motor will help develop that system, so I don't blow up a $10k motor the first week I have it. I'm a ways out from it being functional, but I need data to help perfect the system. If it holds together, it's gonna fly tho. If it doesn't, I'll learn alot. Then, put a 5.0 in it.
I will tell you, CRP told me the stage 4 turbos are the highest flowing/largest turbos for the 2.7 on the market. He told me, any larger and the turbos will start surging at wide open throttle because there’s only so much air you can cram into a 2.7L engine. So I’m very curious as to how your project goes. I considered this as well and was wanting a set of large turbos and wanted to customize everything but that was more a dream than reality so I just got the stage 4s.

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
I will tell you, CRP told me the stage 4 turbos are the highest flowing/largest turbos for the 2.7 on the market. He told me, any larger and the turbos will start surging at wide open throttle because there’s only so much air you can cram into a 2.7L engine. So I’m very curious as to how your project goes. I considered this as well and was wanting a set of large turbos and wanted to customize everything but that was more a dream than reality so I just got the stage 4s.
If he is running a big single or compounds then it shouldnt be a problem.

The issue is that the stock based turbos are too tiny and can't handle a higher pressure ratio.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,384 Posts
If he is running a big single or compounds then it shouldnt be a problem.

The issue is that the stock based turbos are too tiny and can't handle a higher pressure ratio.
Gotcha. Thanks for that info

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Premium Member
6,761 Posts
I spoke with ZFG, it sounds like they know their stuff.

Thanks for setting me straight on this. The process is just ALOT different than anything I've ever done before. I'm old.

Yes, it's an long bed. What can I say, I like building odd-ball projects.
Ok just looks like a 6.5' from the angle.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I spoke with ZFG, it sounds like they know their stuff.

Thanks for setting me straight on this. The process is just ALOT different than anything I've ever done before. I'm old.

Yes, it's an long bed. What can I say, I like building odd-ball projects.
Let us know how they treat you and what you think about the tune..... If your not happy, or like most of us, it takes a few different tuners to find the right fit......... Give BoostKing a try.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would try more power tuning again. They’ve always answered the phone when I call. Mike replies within 10 hours to emails and datalogs. They definitely don’t have a “sweat shop” for tuners. I’m on my 4th revision of an ethanol tune and each time the truck has had improvements.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts