F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 F150 Lariat Special Edition Sport 4x4 157" wb
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My prior vehicle didn't have anything fancy on it's fob - I had to be within 2 feet for it to work. My older car is 25 years old and has an IR remote - you have to be within 2 inches for it to work. My new 2018 F150 has a great remote which works well remote starting the car from inside my house. So, I starting to read a bit about how people who can use inexpensive devices to read key fobs, relay that to an accomplice by the vehicle, and gain access and start the truck. I really don't know if they can do that or not, but I bought a Faraday box off Amazon to place on my desk (which is as close to the driveway as any other room) and store my keys in.
I tested the box's effectiveness by walking up to my truck with the key fob inside the closed box. Standing right next to the driver's door the truck did not sense the fob and I could not open the door. Once I opened the box lid, the truck immediately got the signal and I could open the door.
Cheap insurance to store the fobs - about $22 on Amazon (it also came with two Faraday sleeves). Search Faraday box if interested - there are several to see.

Window Wood Window blind Flooring Rectangle

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,449 Posts
The latest trucks have a cloud connection (onboard modem) and you can do pretty much anything you want from the FordPass App on your phone. So distance isn't an issue. You can even schedule a start in the future.
With the Powerboost onboard generator, you can remote start the truck from the app while you sit in the RV, and then connect via Bluetooth to the truck and the App gets extended functionality because it is a local connection VS a cloud connection. At that point you can launch the generator and crank up the espresso machine and cook some biscuits in the electric toaster oven. :)

I'm just saying. Lol

What an amazing truck Ford has built for us!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
My prior vehicle didn't have anything fancy on it's fob - I had to be within 2 feet for it to work. My older car is 25 years old and has an IR remote - you have to be within 2 inches for it to work. My new 2018 F150 has a great remote which works well remote starting the car from inside my house. So, I starting to read a bit about how people who can use inexpensive devices to read key fobs, relay that to an accomplice by the vehicle, and gain access and start the truck. I really don't know if they can do that or not, but I bought a Faraday box off Amazon to place on my desk (which is as close to the driveway as any other room) and store my keys in.
I tested the box's effectiveness by walking up to my truck with the key fob inside the closed box. Standing right next to the driver's door the truck did not sense the fob and I could not open the door. Once I opened the box lid, the truck immediately got the signal and I could open the door.
Cheap insurance to store the fobs - about $22 on Amazon (it also came with two Faraday sleeves). Search Faraday box if interested - there are several to see.

View attachment 175137
I read about that a few days ago. In that article it said you can put your keys in the refrigerator or microwave.
Ha ha. I think not. Your choice way better.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The latest trucks have a cloud connection (onboard modem) and you can do pretty much anything you want from the FordPass App on your phone. So distance isn't an issue. You can even schedule a start in the future.
With the Powerboost onboard generator, you can remote start the truck from the app while you sit in the RV, and then connect via Bluetooth to the truck and the App gets extended functionality because it is a local connection VS a cloud connection. At that point you can launch the generator and crank up the espresso machine and cook some biscuits in the electric toaster oven. :)

I'm just saying. Lol

That's ridiculous, and amazing! All from under the covers, or on the commode...

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
4,043 Posts

I'm just saying. Lol

Talk about High-Tech Red Necks LOL

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,449 Posts
Talk about High-Tech Red Necks LOL
So I drove 480 miles today for Thanksgiving with the family. I got a ding on my phone as a notification from the Ford Pass App that an over the air update took place while the truck was parked out front.

Yep, High-tech Red Neck Cadillac

Looks like the IPhone folks finally got the same Navigation feature that I already had with the Android. And a few other things that I'm not sure apply to my use.

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

·
Registered
98 Posts
After my LEO brother in law’s f-150 (was previously my truck) got broken into with computer crap and his personal side arm got stolen while he was in the gym I pretty much decided that nothing of value beyond costa sun glasses would live in my vehicles. Guns are always in the safe, on me, and one within reach at night. The computer stuff is beyond me. I figure limit liability and have insurance for a reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts