F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Brother in laws friend has a 13 EB Lariat 4x4 and has always complained about the fuel mileage. around 13.5 to 14.5 city and highway and he drives very VERY easy.. Was talking to the BIL and told him i wanted to get the new SCT X4 with new custom tunes, he said his buddy would be interested in my old X3 if there is a chance he can get better mpg. I told him it should help out.. So i sent it to him and he programmed his EB with the Canned 87 tune. Bragged about how much more power he had but still getting 14mpg. I told him to keep driving it and see if it got any better. He called me the next day and said he was still getting 14mpg after 80 miles of driving, but that something had happened, He actually floored it and he said the truck hesitated then all of a sudden took off with a big cloud of black smoke out of the exhaust. Since then he has been averaging 17.5 to 19 mpg the last 3 days.

Now lets fast forward to My truck.. Since i have been running the stock tune for about 3 weeks now, i havent been getting on it at all and it seemed like my truck was getting weaker.. Just didnt seem like it wanted to run like it use to. So out on the highway i floored it about 35 mph and my truck did the same thing.. Hesitated a split second, a pretty good puff of black smoke and now all of a sudden it seems like it should. Alot more peppy and just all around better drive ability.

I remember back in the day with the Carb'd vehicles everyone would say it was good for the vehicle to get on it and "blow it out". Seems like the Eb is the same way..

Has anyone else experienced this before?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Mine get WOT everyday leaving my work....

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I drive mine like a grandpa normally. Finally WOT to datalog and didn't see smoke, tuned I'm getting 14.5-15.5 mpg (maybe). Hell stock I was getting 16+ so who knows

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine use to be to the floor multiple times a day when i was tuned.. But since running stock its just not as much fun so i dont do it.. Lol.. Just crazy how he picked up that big of difference in fuel mileage after getting on it. I dont have a issue with fuel mileage. Im always around 18 to 20mpg.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Mine use to be to the floor multiple times a day when i was tuned.. But since running stock its just not as much fun so i dont do it.. Lol.. Just crazy how he picked up that big of difference in fuel mileage after getting on it. I dont have a issue with fuel mileage. Im always around 18 to 20mpg.
Most DI engines have the black puff of smoke symptom...just the way it is......

Curious on your MPG....are you running the factory wheel and tire combination and stock stance (no level or air dam removal)?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I run into the issue often as well, lately I have been getting CEL for O2 sensor bank 1.....I go romp on it and get the cats and sensors hot spit some black smoke and the light goes away. So yeah...if you do a lot of in town driving, short trips, and or putting around it will happen. feed the machine some speed!

·
Registered
333 Posts
So my Brother in laws friend has a 13 EB Lariat 4x4 and has always complained about the fuel mileage. around 13.5 to 14.5 city and highway and he drives very VERY easy.. Was talking to the BIL and told him i wanted to get the new SCT X4 with new custom tunes, he said his buddy would be interested in my old X3 if there is a chance he can get better mpg. I told him it should help out.. So i sent it to him and he programmed his EB with the Canned 87 tune. Bragged about how much more power he had but still getting 14mpg. I told him to keep driving it and see if it got any better. He called me the next day and said he was still getting 14mpg after 80 miles of driving, but that something had happened, He actually floored it and he said the truck hesitated then all of a sudden took off with a big cloud of black smoke out of the exhaust. Since then he has been averaging 17.5 to 19 mpg the last 3 days.

Now lets fast forward to My truck.. Since i have been running the stock tune for about 3 weeks now, i havent been getting on it at all and it seemed like my truck was getting weaker.. Just didnt seem like it wanted to run like it use to. So out on the highway i floored it about 35 mph and my truck did the same thing.. Hesitated a split second, a pretty good puff of black smoke and now all of a sudden it seems like it should. Alot more peppy and just all around better drive ability.

I remember back in the day with the Carb'd vehicles everyone would say it was good for the vehicle to get on it and "blow it out". Seems like the Eb is the same way..

Has anyone else experienced this before?
Last night I was out cruising the to kill the last of a tank of sunoco 92. For the sake of the argument last night was the first I "got on it" since it just passed 1k miles. Anyways, I filled it with 93 V-power my mpgs on the way home and almost immediately started to improve. My 50 mile commute to work this morning increased from 16.8 AVG MPG to 20.2AVG MPG. Now there easily could have been another cause to this. But point being is maybe your buddy had a freak status mix of fuel.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most DI engines have the black puff of smoke symptom...just the way it is......

Curious on your MPG....are you running the factory wheel and tire combination and stock stance (no level or air dam removal)?
Everything Factory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts